Can you match these movies to the TV Western with the same name?

Wagon Train, Rawhide and Gunsmoke were… movies?

While names like Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Cheyenne and more are famous from their time on the small screen, these titles showed up on the big one as well. Sometimes a movie and a show shared a name and nothing else, other times there was at least some connection.

Here are ten movies that have the same names as classic TV Westerns. Can you guess which series each movie shares with?

Watch Gunsmoke on MeTV!

Monday - Saturday at 1 PM & 1:30 PM

1. This Nineties reboot naturally had the same name as which TV Western?
  2. This was another Nineties movie inspired by classic TV, except without "The" at the beginning.
  3. This 1946 film shares its name with a TV Western because they're both based on the same book.
  4. Though they're one and the same, this 1947 feature gets its title from a place while the series is named for a person.
  5. Can you tell which title (and real-life character) this movie shares with a TV show?
  6. This 1987 movie and a classic series share a name because Rutger Hauer plays a descendent of the character from the show.
  7. This 1971 Burt Lancaster Western shares a name with which series?
  8. Which TV Western does this movie share a name with?
  9. Which TV show name does this film also use?
  10. This 1951 Susan Hayward-Tyrone Power Western shares a name with which show that premiered eight years later?

Can you match these movies to the TV Western with the same name?

country46 6 hours ago
missed gunsmoke and lawman never seen lawman got lucky with some 8/10
Tresix 1 day ago
10/10, thanks to some purely lucky guesses.
DethBiz 2 days ago
9 out of 10. Will always remember Rutger Hauer in the Hitcher.
frenchman71 2 days ago
I got one wrong, #5. I thought it was trick question. When I saw the coonskin cap I thought everyone would pick "Daniel Boone" so I picked "Wild Bill Hickok". Still, 9/10. Not too shabby.
There's a reason, (as you found out,) why
"everyone would pick Daniel Boone!" Did you forget that METV is notorious for downloading/uploading a clue photo, that shows the answer? That alone should have given it too you. Oh well, as the saying goes: "better luck, next time."
LoveMETV22 frenchman71 2 days ago
Not shabby at all. Good for you. Going with your instinct is always good.
leebillyold 2 days ago
9/10
What this photo is missing, is a couple of riders "riding off into the sunset."
Toonhead leebillyold 1 day ago
Cool picture 😎
Nice Moon picture. Thanks for sharing.
Where was this taken, pray tell?
bnichols23 2 days ago
Blew #8, otherwise clean sweep. I didn't know I knew so many old western flicks.
Toonhead bnichols23 1 day ago
9/10 very good in anyone’s book, bravo
bnichols23 Toonhead 1 day ago
Tnx. Being a big Lancaster fan helps. Although I could have done without Will Smith as Jim West. :\
Toonhead bnichols23 1 day ago
I am in total agreement there! I like Wiil Smith but that was the WORST example of miscasting I have EVER SEEN! I loved the original WWW, but casting a black actor in that part considering the era stretched my ability to ignore reality beyond sane limits! Far worse than casting a white guy as an Indian chief or Charlie Chan! Nice to hear from another astute fan.
Toonhead 2 days ago
10/10 WOO-HOO! I took a couple of educated guesses , but hey, a win is a win, right? Lol
MikefromJersey 3 days ago
9 for 10. It's strange but High Chaparral is rarely mentioned when the talk turns to Westerns.
It's production values, cast, writing, photography blow away most Westerns. It would have
gone on for more seasons but NBC told the producers it could only afford either Bonanza or
High Chaparral, so Dortort chose Bonanza. Both were very expensive to produce and in the
case of High Chaparral, it really showed up on screen. It is an overlooked gem.
Load previous comments
Do you get H&I? It airs on there. It sounds like you don't, because I wouldn't think you'd be making this wish wish if you did know.
Hey I like Tim Matheson but I didn’t like Mitch Whatshisname
Tresix Toonhead 1 day ago
Vogel. If you’re gonna hate the kid, at least learn his whole name.
Toonhead Tresix 1 day ago
Don’t hate him personally. I’m sure he’s done other things and done a fine job. I just didn’t care for his work on Bonanza.