How trendy were you in the 1980s?

You had to have pants, but were they parachute pants?

We already asked how trendy you were in the 1970s, and it turned out that most of you were pretty hip! But did you carry on that momentum through the '80s? Or were the '80s the first decade that you were old enough to finally be cool —  or stop caring?

Scroll through some of the biggest pop culture phenomena of the 1980s and see how many people had a similar experience as you!
  1. Did you go to the movies to see Gremlins?
    Warner Bros.
  2. How about E.T.?
  3. Have you ever made a mixtape?
    Unsplash
  4. Do you remember watching Live Aid?
    AP Images
  5. Did you tune in to the M*A*S*H finale?
  6. Did you ever get a perm? (Don't worry, we won't tell)
  7. Ever take an aerobics class or watch an aerobics video?
  8. Did you own a Swatch? Hope you had the protector too!
  9. Did you buy a copy of Thriller?
    Epic
  10. Did you spend your days watching music videos on MTV?
    MTV
  11. Do you ever drink a New Coke?
  12. Did you take pictures with a Polaroid Instant Camera?
  13. Do you wish you could still get a McDLT?
  14. Were you a Pac-Man fan?
    Atari
  15. Did you have a collection of scrunchies?
    New World Pictures
  16. Was there a member of The Breakfast Club you identified with?
    Universal Pictures
  17. Were your pants high waisted?
  18. ...or of the parachute variety?
  19. Were you a member of the Members Only jacket owners club?
  20. Did you ever (try to) breakdance?
How trendy were you in the 1980s?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
Lacey 2 months ago
OK, some of these are gender specific so the results may be a bit skewed, and Polaroid Instant Camera is more of a 70s thing.
marland 2 months ago
Some of those questions were cultural.
SalIanni 2 months ago
I couldn't get MTV until 2001 and by then it was awful!
JeffTanner 2 months ago
65% similar -------65% similar to the most popular responses. I didn't watch regular aerobics videos, but I had Totally Nude Aerobics tape, which I wish I still had now. And I had a Kodak Instant Camera instead of Polaroid. And I think I drank a few cans of New Coke, But I don't remember if I liked it or not. I had a knock-off Members Only jacket which was a lot cheaper than the original.
SheriHeffner JeffTanner 2 months ago
New Coke tasted AWFUL!
BuckeyeBeth 2 months ago
65%

#11 "Did you ever drink a new coke?". Yes, and it was a mistake.
Lacey BuckeyeBeth 2 months ago
You are right, that was a poorly worded question.
JamesB 2 months ago
65% and only that high because we wanted to see Jane Fonda's exercise video. ;) Some totally '80's things left off this "quiz"...I recall that acid-washed jeans were MUCH more popular than parachute pants and laser discs were considered cool (at least for a minute or two!). Preppy stuff (OCBD's, calling pizza "za" and other stuff) were common as well. I thought that "perms" were a '70's carryover. Still, those John Hughes movies were a lot of fun and despite over-the-top stories, a lot of people experienced high schools which resembled the movies!
SheriHeffner JamesB 2 months ago
I also bought acid washed jeans and they the jeans tore up. they fell completely apart.
BrendaGast 2 months ago
I couldn’t answer half of them because they were covered over with ads! 😡
Lacey BrendaGast 2 months ago
Odd, mine were not and never have been.
SheriHeffner 2 months ago
55% similar, No I didn't get a perm because my hair is already curly, as you can see in my photo. And yes I seen ET and yes I seen Gremlins and no I didn't drink new Coke or watch Live Aid. And no I didn't get physical or workout with Jane Fonda. I was too busy working and babysitting my niece. However I am now suffering from walking and working on concrete floors with knee problems and my sister is too because she danced and excersized all the time t
Barry22 2 months ago
loved swatch watches, had several of them. Had a black Member's Only jacket, good lord. And every girl I dated more than once got a mix-tape, still didn't help.
BubbaPacha77511 2 months ago
I think some questions should be changed ie the scrunchie question. Thatd a grl thing
Lacey BubbaPacha77511 2 months ago
Several of these were gender specific.
Lucyneenah19701 2 months ago
70% similar. I had a swatch, I had perms, and I played Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man. I love McDonald's, but I don't remember the McDLT.
MrsPhilHarris 2 months ago
70% similar. I was travelling and living out of the country for a while in the 80s missed some of the stuff. Can someone tell me what on earth was the jacket club?
Amalthea 2 months ago
1. & 2. Yes. 3. I still have all 30 of them! 4. I was working at Bradlees, and we had one of the sample TVs set to it. 5. Watched it with my husband. 6. For about 1 year. 7. I still have my Kathy Smith VHS tapes somewhere... 8. No. 9. Still have it. 10. Of course! 11. Can't stand colas anyway. 12. I didn't have one, but I knew a lot of people who did. 13. Don't like McDonalds. 14. Yes, but preferred Ms. Pac-Man. 15. Still have 'em, still use 'em! 16. LOVE the movie, but no; I didn't relate to any of them. 17. I prefer them that way...and definitely better than 18. 19. No way. 20. WORLD of no!
teire 2 months ago
50%. Parachute pants and perms, perfect together.
anthony 2 months ago
60% similar.I think it's safe to say most of the no's on the Scrunchie collection question were males.😋I think I still got my Members only jacket somewhere.Not ashamed to admit I did get a perm