Adorable '80s kids discussed how Linus should pass time waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

The Peanuts Halloween special It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown premiered in 1966, and more than 50 years later, kids today are still tuning in to watch Linus wait in the pumpkin patch to meet his hero.

Eighties kids were just as fond as Sixties kids and kids today of this classic TV special, and in 1989, a Tennessee newspaper collaborated with a classroom of third-grade students to find out what kids in the real world would do if they were in Linus’ shoes, passing a night in a pumpkin patch.

Answering a prompt, "What would you do if you were waiting with Linus for the arrival of the Great Pumpkin," kids had some creative responses.

"I would bring a soccer ball and kick it until Linus told me the Great Pumpkin was here," opined one boy named Jeff.

Most kids thought telling ghost stories was the way to go.

"I’d tell ghost stories and make sure the soil was good, and I’d water it, and wait," said a girl named Katherine.

One boy even revealed which ghost story he would tell.

"Tell ghost stories like this one. There was a old lady all skin and stone and bone. She went by the graveyard and she saw a bone lying there – ooohhh! – above the tent. She went to get a broom and she open the door and … BOO!" a boy named Delnar responded.

Some kids admitted they might not have what it takes to wait out the Great Pumpkin, like Jessica, who said she’d lay down in the patch and say, "Wake me up if he comes."

Only one kid confessed that she would be scared if she was in Linus’ shoes.

"I would be very scared, but I’d be as quiet as possible," explained little Holly. "And then I’d lay on my back and stare at the moon, and the moon would stare back. And so would the stars. I wouldn’t hear Linus talk, I was concentrating so hard. Boy, it sure was hard to be so quiet, but I was. I wish I wasn’t scared, but I just plain was!"

What would you do to wait out the Great Pumpkin? Maybe if you watch the Halloween classic this year, you can ask the kids in your audience!

L 11 days ago
Actually, I'd rather be Charlie Brown's date at the Halloween party. Sally is a little young to be my friend, but I can be a mentor.
rockinsuzy 1 month ago
It's a shame you have to pay for what has been free for so many years.
NiceL rockinsuzy 1 month ago
You don't have to pay for it this year. It was free on PBS a week ago.
TheSentinel NiceL 27 days ago
I don't care for or watch PBS (which is blocked on my cable box). I'd prefer to get a DVD of the special now that it's been taken off of commercial broadcast TV and is now split between PBS and Apple TV+.
L TheSentinel 11 days ago
How can PBS be blocked unless you blocked it yourself.

Some PBS shows I'll watch, some I won't.

At age 59, I STILL watch Mr. Rogers on the weekends. I'll watch him when I'm 99 if I have to.
TheSentinel L 3 days ago
My point exactly - I blocked PBS for the exact reason I mentioned.
JosephScarbrough 1 month ago
"and more than 50 years later, kids today are still tuning in to watch Linus wait in the pumpkin patch to meet his hero" Not quite anymore, as of last year, PEANUTS holiday specials no longer air on broadcast TV, so they're not "still tuning in to watch." Maybe they're watching DVDs, older VHS recordings, or whatever streaming service has it, but yeah.
Pacificsun 1 month ago
MeTV Writers: This was a very cute idea for a Halloween article. Inspiring lots of interesting comments in the Thread!

Thank you for doing that!!
Zip 1 month ago
"Did you ever imagine transporting into the Peanuts special to keep Linus company?"

Well, not really to there.
But I do often think of inventing an inter-dimensional time machine and transporting myself into the worlds of my favorite shows, like Little House on the Prairie, Gomer Pyle USMC, The Andy Griffith Show, Mama's Familly, etc.
Of course, I may first go into the world of say, The Greatest American Hero and somehow obtain his superpower suit, and maybe into the Star Wars movies to get a light sabre, and stuff like that. Then it would be neat if I could bring that stuff not only to those other shows but back to the real world as well.(The real world as in the world we live in, not those awful reality shows they used to play on MTV)
Pacificsun Zip 1 month ago
Cute!
Have you shared your interest in Gomer Pyle with Moriyah?
Snickers 1 month ago
I would love to sit in the pumpkin patch and keep Linus company. Hopefully the Great Pumpkin would show up instead of a beagle and I could get in on the toys and goodies.
JohnAustin779 1 month ago
My Mom never left me by myself on Halloween so hanging out in a pumpkin patch with Linus would definitely be out of the picture 🙂. That whole razor blade in the candy bar thing was going on back in the '80s so my Mom was just trying to look out for me and make sure I was safe. I still had a great time on Halloween. I got a ton of candy and my UNICEF box was always packed with money.

Nobody could say no to me because of how adorable I was 🙂. Then I would cap off the night by watching the Great Pumpkin special at 8pm. It used to come on CBS back in the '80s. As I got older, things changed for me on Halloween of course but I still had lots of fun.

Halloween is a special day for me. I love it and I own the Great Pumpkin special now so I can watch it every year again🎃🦇🕷️🕸️🎃🖖!
Load previous comments
KJExpress JohnAustin779 27 days ago
Your poor mother! I can sympathize. To get only apples is bad enough, but to have to bob for them is just plain mean. Nasty, too. We used to do that as kids, not even thinking how gross it was. 😝🖖
True. I hadn't thought about it that way.
Thank you. 😉
L JohnAustin779 11 days ago
The good thing about adults is we can get all the candy we want and don't have to share with anybody.
JohnAustin779 L 6 days ago
True 😄😀🖖.
TinaMarieHaddadRhodes 1 month ago
I watched It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown from the first year and watched it with my kids too. If I was in the pumkin patch waiting with Linus I would tell ghost stories and Great Pumpkin stories.
I used to babysit for the equivalent of people's grandkids nowadays. And they were always very excited when a "Charlie Brown Special" came on. Back then it was free and available, and just made the holiday special. I wish they were more accessible in this day, we need that return to innocence a lot.
texasluva 1 month ago
Since I do not see this full movie on It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown on YT. Plus the fact I like ALL of you on MeTV. I am posting a place you can all find it below. This is the 25 minute version from 1966.

Snickers texasluva 1 month ago
Thanks I'll have the kids watch before going trick or treating
texasluva Snickers 1 month ago
You can play this on any device or watch it at the IA site. Also playable via Chromecast and Airplay (wireless to tv) if you have those devices.
Pacificsun texasluva 1 month ago
What also made the specials (pardon the pun) special was of course the music. Which (I'm guessing) is controlled as much as the "Charlie Brown" content now. It was of course, wonderful Jazz music and a little more about can be read here:

texasluva Pacificsun 1 month ago
I will most likely be showing that one during XMAS holidays along with many other Holiday Theme movies.
Runeshaper 1 month ago
Those are some GREAT answers! If I had to wait out the Great Pumpkin, I'd start chatting with Linus about him and hopefully we could swap stories about each other to learn about one another + pass the time.
stephaniestavr5 1 month ago
I would've been afraid to do so That could be dangerous!. I didn't want to get "bopped" by Sally, because she thought I had designs/was making designs on her "sweet baboo."
Maverick66 1 month ago
These days kids would expect to be able to use their cell phones to track the Great Pumpkin's progress on the NORAD website, just as they do with Santa Claus.
Pacificsun 1 month ago
I am surprised that Weigel Broadcasting hasn't tried to bring back Peanut's Specials into it's lineup, just on certain occasions! Talk about "memorable" and "nostalgic" that collection would pretty much ring the bell!

Just a thought .....

Who has this franchise locked up? Streaming or for purchase only?
Load previous comments
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 1 month ago
Franchise rights are to protect the "image" (concept) of the "Charles Schultz" universe and they were wise to do that! Distribution rights are the financial aspect of the enterprise. He had a reputation for being generous about charities and good causes. He lived and worked in Northern California and was very famous in this region.

A slightly humorous piece: "The Wonderfully Tragic Life of Charles Schultz" (is just the half of it).

Read more of it on Wiki (a very interesting life).

LoveMETV22 Pacificsun 1 month ago
Interesting read on the mentalfloss link. But who is the woman in the video talking about cults Lol,. Only watched a few seconds of it, does she talk about Schulz in it?
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 1 month ago
I couldn't file the video link, because I wanted to research to give you an answer. Maybe it's because my Ad Blocker is on. So many take advantage of a curious reading site to post a tunnel to their own advertising.

I forgot to ad this anecdote having to do with CB (but not directly). In the 70's a very well done and long-lived play called Charlie Brown ran in "The City." And I babysat for the Lead Actress's kids. They lived right across the street from. The children were sweet and the family very pleasant. I'd never snoop in homes, but they'd leave a closet open or the kids would play. The lady owned 1 pair of highly fashionable Designer Jeans (and I assume T-Shirts were in the drawer, and one other paid of shoes. Their house only had beds for the kids and a sofa in the front room. It wasn't even expensive to live in my neighborhood back then. I always wondered if she became famous. She was very young.
LoveMETV22 Pacificsun 1 month ago
You're probably right on the video clip. The anecdote you shared was interesting. If you remembered the name you could search it. I'm sure you knew that though.
Moody 1 month ago
I'd be one of those kids who made fun of whoever was waiting for "The Great Pumpkin".
MrsPhilHarris Moody 1 month ago
I’d rather go trick or treating. 🎃👻
And come home with a bag of rocks?!?! Speaking of which, it seems reverse punishment: Charlie Brown was the only one who didn't make fun, {I think that's right} of Linus and he's "rewarded" with a bag of rocks. The other kids did make fun, and made out like bandits. I guess the entire neighborhood was in agreement with the Lucy, etc. and rewarded them thusly, and punished Charlie Brown. That just doesn't seem fail. Then again...that is the Life of Charlie Brown. sad to say, but true.
That should be "Fair," not "Fail." I failed on this sentence!
Before I hung out with Linus in the pumpkin patch, I would've brought a big bag of candy just for Charlie Brown.