MeTV celebrates the M*A*S*H 50th Anniversary with The Best by Farr

Ring in a half-century of the smash show with Jamie Farr's favorite episodes

On September 17, 1972, a brand-new TV series hit the airwaves at CBS. Based on the multi-Academy Award nominated 1970 movie, which was itself based on a 1968 novel, people weren't sure what to expect from M*A*S*H. After all, movies being adapted to TV shows don't always keep the spirit when they move on to the small screen.

What followed was a cultural phenominon that made careers, still holds the record for most-watched finale of any TV series and continues to be rewatched and loved half a century later.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of M*A*S*H, MeTV will be showing episodes hand-picked by Maxwell Klinger himself, Jamie Farr! Jamie's favorite episodes will be shown all week as The Best by Farr. Then the celebration continues during the Sunday Block Party showcasing more of the best episodes of M*A*S*H starting Sunday at 12P | 11C. Look for special M*A*S*H trivia on MeTV all week long!

The party starts Monday, September 12 at 7P | 6C.

The Best by Farr — Jamie Farr's favorite episodes

Monday, Sept. 1

7P | 6C - "Chief Surgeon Who?"
7:30P | 6:30C - "The Trial of Henry Blake"

Tuesday, Sept. 13

7P | 6C - "Crisis"
7:30P | 6:30C - "Springtime"

Wednesday, Sept. 14

7P | 6C - "Big Mac"
7:30P | 6:30C - "Abyssinia, Henry"

Thursday, Sept. 15

7P | 6C - "The Interview"
7:30P | 6:30C - "Movie Tonight"

Friday, Sept. 16

7P | 6C - "What's Up, Doc?"
7:30P | 6:30C - "Point of View"

Watch M*A*S*H on MeTV!

One Full Hour

This Week at 7 PM

LloydsFam 6 days ago
Thanks Jamie and the rest of the MASH actors and crew. I didn’t really appreciate the show in it’s hay day, but have since rekindled my love for it during the pandemic of 2020, thank God for Hulu!

MASH still holds up today and very well maybe the best show ever made for television!

Thank you all for doing such masterful work! May your names forever live on in history along with the entertainment you have provided all to enjoy.
DLM
PDCougar 11 days ago
I'm really enjoying Jamie's information and delivery in these short segments. In the interest of preserving some TV history, what would it take to get him to do some full-length "DVD commentary"-type commentaries recorded for some "M*A*S*H" episodes?

And, Point #2: Howzabout unearthing the entire run of "AfterMASH" as part of the 50th anniversary sometime this year? Heck, Jamie could also provide some introductions on those shows, too!
daDoctah 12 days ago
It wasn't the first series to premiere on CBS that season. It was preceded by the new show "Anna and the King" half an hour earlier, "Bridget Loves Bernie" the night before that, with "Maude" and "The Waltons" debuting earlier in the week.
CharlesIIIFan3 14 days ago
I LOVE MASH! I watch every morning on TVLand and every night on MeTV. I also watch on HULU! Got to meet Jamie, Loretta and Jeff in NJ. Such a great show!
dmarkwind 14 days ago
I'm often surprised M*A*S*H survived its first two seasons! I understand the show was still finding its footing, establishing its characters, and deciding how to differentiate the TV series from the R-Rated movie, but in many of those early episodes, Hawkeye was far from the moral stalwart he would later be perceived as, and what passed for comedy in the first few seasons was little more than sexual harassment and wouldn't fly in the age of "Me Too." Other characters also acted in ways they never would have in later seasons. For example, there's an early episode in which Radar steals an Army jeep by sending it home in installments via the mail! Doesn’t seem in character for the shy and caring company clerk we get to know later. In the long view, M*A*S*H was a show that presented liberal ideas using very relatable characters in a comedy-drama setting and it appealed to people from across the political spectrum - even folks who would have never sat still to hear those ideas presented a different way.
Robbob58 16 days ago
I didn't get into MASH until the fourth season when BJ and Col. Potter joined. I was never a big fan of the show back when Trapper and Henry Blake were on it. I have tried to watch a few of those early episodes but I always find myself enjoying the later seasons.
It was also nice to see the characters and their relationships evolve over the course of the series. Margaret and Charles both got friendly with Hawkeye and BJ and of course, Radar grew in maturity until his departure.
Susan 16 days ago
MASH will always be simply brilliant. It not only survived the departures of Henry, Trapper, and later lovable Radar (and his teddy bear), but it continued to thrive. The show shifted a bit with the new cast members, but stayed on course as the best of sitcoms, thanks to the super talented writers and actors. And, of course, the opening theme always gets me. Play on MASH. We love you. 💕😘
JohnGrant 16 days ago
I never watched this (excellent) show much but always remember Klingers wacky outfits
musicman37 16 days ago
I watch every night, but I also have the DVDs. I've been watching for 50 years, but also have watched the DVDs, in order, about nine times. I will probably want a portable DVD player playing M*A*S*H in the box when I'm lowered into the ground.
KMT6600 16 days ago
I love this show even runs it never gets old
Tommygunz 16 days ago
Klinger was my favorite character of the series, dressing up and trying to find ways of getting out of the army. I’ll be watching his favorite episodes this week, but a little disappointed that non of them included episodes with the nutty Colonel Flagg.
JosephScarbrough 16 days ago
I recently met Jamie Farr at a con a month ago, unfortunately, I didn't get to spend just a whole lot of time talking with him, but it was still a great honor to be able to scratch meeting Klinger off of my bucket list! Loretta Swit and Jeff Maxwell were to be in attendance as well, but they both were no-shows, with Jeff having a health emergency, and Loretta's flight being canceled.
That is very nice that you were able to meet Mr. Farr. I am sure the celebrities are very busy when they attend conventions. Was the photo board he was holding up in the photo yours? If so were you able to have him autograph it? Thank You for the share.
RedSamRackham 17 days ago
* Comedian Lenny Bruce got out of USN by dressing drag in a Wave uniform which inspired Klinger character. Klinger indeed the dubious hero of every disgruntled Vietnam era veteran.
NickG 18 days ago
Really enjoy the series; especially when they had Radar. Klinger was great too
tootsieg 18 days ago
Looking forward to Jamie Farr’s favorites.
JHP 18 days ago
"Abyssinia, Henry"

cant watch it - sorry - so damm sad
Rob JHP 18 days ago
Yeah, it is tough to watch. I think it’s even more sad watching the earlier episodes where Henry is talking to his wife and kids on the phone and we know that he’ll never see them again.
JHP Rob 17 days ago
agreed - instead of watching that Ep I'd rather watch dancing with the has-beens - or (gees full house or mamas family)
RedSamRackham JHP 17 days ago
* I believe producers decided to kill off Henry on his flight home just so McLean Stevenson could never get a Henry Blake spinoff series.
CaptainDunsel 19 days ago
It is a Farr, Farr better thing MeTV does than they have ever done before.
DocForbin 19 days ago
Fun fact: In its second season M*A*S*H was moved to Saturday nights in-between All In The Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show due to CBS canceling the show that had previously occupied the spot: Bridget Loves Bernie. The show was canceled due to Catholic and Jewish groups protesting the depiction of their respective faiths in it.
MrsPhilHarris DocForbin 19 days ago
I don’t remember it on Sat. Night. 🤔
Nothing like having thin skin about your silly native superstition...as a group.
DocForbin MrsPhilHarris 17 days ago
It was. You can see the proof here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973–74_United_States_network_television_schedule
MrsPhilHarris DocForbin 17 days ago
Isn’t that funny. I always thought it was on Monday or Tuesday. 🤷‍♀️
Andybandit 19 days ago
I love Mash. I can watch it over and over again. I was so happy went racist Frank Burns left the show. I didn't like him. Sorry about that. Happy 50th birthday Mash. Too bad Mash wasn't having a 50 birthday in 2023 because that is when I turn 50.

Load previous comments
harlow1313 Barry22 16 days ago
Agreed. I feel like the show would have been stronger if the writers had humanized Burns a bit more. It seemed his character was written for a dumbed down audience. His character gets a human moment when he says "Bye, Margaret" to her departing chopper. I liked that.
jaybird3939 Barry22 16 days ago
He was studying to be a nurse, but couldn't make hospital corners. The only reason he became a Dr. was to clear up his acne.
cheryl1725 Andybandit 14 days ago
Actually, Larry Linville was far from racist. In today's terms he would be a "radical left" person. He thought the character of Frank was a piece of slime. He played it so well.
LloydsFam Andybandit 6 days ago
You do know frank was a character and not a real person?
Michael 19 days ago
It feels like MASH has been on MeTV for fifty years
Load previous comments
I'd love it if MeTV got rid of "Hogan's Heroes" and put on full hours of "Gomer Pyle" and "Green Acres".
That would be fine with me.
vinman63 musicman37 16 days ago
Hogan Hero is on at 10pm on the East Coast
LloydsFam musicman37 6 days ago
No this is the only outlet for Hogan Hero fans!