10 favorite foods that don't taste the same as when you were a kid

Do fries, ice cream and cookies taste different than you remember? There is a reason.

You know how it goes. You go years without eating a particular brand of cookie. Then in a moment of hunger and nostalgia pangs, you pick up a box at the store. You eat one (or four) and think, "Is this different or is it me?"

Your taste buds are not evolving; recipes change. Whether it was for economic or nutritional reasons, many of our most beloved snacks transformed over time, rather subtly.

What foods don't taste the same as you remember?

1. Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner

In 2016, Kraft acknowledged that it quietly changed the recipe of its creamy treat, replacing artificial coloring such as yellow 5 and yellow 6 with natural spices like paprika and turmeric. Over 50 million boxes sold without any uproar or particular notice. It had changed before. If you look at boxes from the 1950s you'll note the ingredients were "Sharp American cheddar cheese, with added skimmilk solids, salt, sodium phosphate and artificial color."

Image: goldcountrygirls

2. Cadbury Creme Egg's

Brits practically revolted in 2015 after Cadbury altered the chocolate in its Easter treat. Sales plunged approximately $12 million. About a decade ago, there was a minor stir when actor B. J. Novak went on Conan O'Brien and moaned about the eggs shrinking.

Image: Youtube

3. Snickers

In the early 2010s, candymaker Mars shrunk the size of the bar, reducing it for the first time in over 80 years.

Image: Bon Appetit

4. Trix

This one is visible to the naked eye (beyond the shape changes). Vintage Trix are far more orange and yellow — with reason. The cereal used to be primarily citrus flavored. In 2014, General Mills altered the recipe to make lemon and orange less prominent and amped up the berry factor. General Mills made the cereal more natural in recent years — until demand brought back the artificial flavors. In 2018, General Mills brought back the '90s fruit shapes for Millennial nostalgia.

Image: Flickr / christianmontone

5. Hellmann's Mayonnaise

Slate wrote a piece about the evolving texture of the sandwich spread. Lovers of the product complained that Hellmann's had lost it's viscosity… wait, this vintage ad is distracting us. Did people really make peanut butter and mayo sandwiches?

Image: huffpost

6. Twinkies

The iconic Hostess snack cake briefly went away a few years back when the company went bankrupt. In 2013, Twinkies returned, with a different maker, size, shelf life and taste. Of course, before World War II, Twinkies were radically different, filled with banana cream before the fruit became rationed.

Image: 4.bp.blogspot

7. Doritos

In what was called "the costliest redesign in Frito-Lay history," the company spent $50 million in 1994 to revamp Doritos, despite the chip raking in $1.3 billion a year. The company made Doritos 15 percent thinner, 20 percent larger, and made the sharp corners round.

Image: Flickr / jasonliebigstuff

8. McDonald's fries

Before switching to pure vegetable oil in 1990, McDonald's cooked its fries in a blend of 93% beef tallow and 7% cottonseed oil. Sorry, vegetarians!

Image: bladecreativebranding

9. Oreos

Speaking of trans fats, the classic Oreo cookie has undergone alterations a few times. In the 1990s, Nabisco removed the lard and replaced it with trans fats. A decade later, the trans fats were gone and oleic vegetable oils were used.

Image: popculturesafari

10. Chips Ahoy!

In the 1960s, Chips Ahoy! ads boasted that each cookie contained, on average, 16 chips. Someone will have to do the math on the modern versions for us. Beyond the chips, the recipe has changed over the years, both on the original and the Chewy varieties. There are Reddit threads devoted to the change. Folks feel the same way about Famous Amos and Cookie Crisp, too. Is there a support group? With milk?

Image: Nabisco

Spaceseed 2 months ago
With the removal of lard and salt from so many products including Mexican foods and baked goods flavor seems to be a bit bland from the same food stuffs of years ago.
daDoctah 5 months ago
I honestly couldn't tell you whether the taste of Oreos have changed since my childhood. Back in the day, we only ate Hydrox, not the brand that ripped off the concept. (We also washed them down with Bubble-Up; 7-Up was only for when you had the stomach flu, and Sprite didn't come out until much later. Okay, 1961, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere until almost ten years later.)
RobCertSDSCascap daDoctah 5 months ago
"Open up and say, Hi-Drox!"
We got generic sodas because there was a local distributor nearby.
EmBee 5 months ago
Mc Donald's may have stopped using beef fat to fry them but they still soak them in beef broth before their first frying before being flash frozen and sent to the restaurants.
EmBee 5 months ago
The headline states "...do these TASTE different...". Some of these are about a change in SIZE not taste. C'mon. Don't "Ok, Boomer!" us.
DavidMagoon 5 months ago
Didn't Famous Amos cookies once have chocolate chips that were NOT sweetened, though the bitterness might have been countered by a high fat (in the chips) content and the sweetness of the rest of the cookie.
DavidBartholomew 5 months ago
Doritos was created in Disneyland. The Casa de Fritos restaurant gave a (10¢) bag of Fritos with every plate. Leftover tortillas were cut and fried for a quick snack dish for park guests. A Frito executive was the chips and decided to bag them for stores.

There was also a vending machine for the Fritos. The Frito Kid would drop a bag down the ramp for a dime
DawnGraham 5 months ago
#1,6, & 7 you can definitely can taste the change.
qweenb50 5 months ago
Well since you would like my opinion, it would have been nice if the changes were for better tasting because I no longer eat most of those items.
I agree as kids we would die for all the above but now,it tastes so bad (Mostly sugar excess)I'd rather die than eat it. The end...
Midnight_Rider_1961 5 months ago
Dr. Pepper was not mentioned which was surprising to me. How many boomers like myself remember when the taste of Dr. Pepper was much sharper and unique. It has changed significantly.
Load previous comments
Actually, they made it LESS sweet. Yes, it did taste more like Pepsi, almost tart.

The big issue was not the consumers, but the bartenders! COKE is used in a lot of cocktails. By changing the taste, the cocktails no longer tasted good. I was a bad manager at the time, and customers were sending drinks back constantly.
It's been a few years. I do remember a weird ad campaign for a cola most didn't want.
Moody DavidBartholomew 5 months ago
Yes you were a bad manager for sending those bad drinks to your customers. Shame on you!

P.S. I'm pretty sure you meant "bar" manager. But your comment was too funny!
RobCertSDSCascap Moody 5 months ago
"Shut yo' Moody mouf!"
"Just talkn' 'bout a bar manager!"
JDnHuntsvilleAL 5 months ago
Also, today's Oreo Double Stufs??? I had a couple of packages delivered to me from Kroger's recently. I had to check the packaging three times -- they seemed too thin to be "Double Stuf" -- I kept thinking they must have sent me regular Oreo's. I hate to think how thin the filling is on those now.
I remember when they were introduced- it was MAGICAL!
Wish I could remember the comic. A terrific routine about the CORRECT eating of Oreos, and all the different Oreos available.
Original
Double Stuff
Thin
Extra Large (couldn't dunk in a glass of milk, had to use a cereal bowl)Thin
Different flavors
Ice Cream
Before the coronavirus stuff I had gotten some Oreo MEGA Stuff. Now THAT was "Good Eats". (I'm watching an episode right now.)
JDnHuntsvilleAL 5 months ago
The original Durkee's Special Sauce. To me, this was the absolute best sauce to use on turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving, but some years back Durkee's was bought out by McCormick, and McCormick changed the recipe. I know this because I could tell and wrote to complain about it, and in their reply they admitted the changed it.
IdaKnow56 5 months ago
You forgot Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs. Me and my siblings used to devour it daily for lunch, at home and at school. As I grew older, I started reading the ingredients in my favorite foods and was dismayed by the high sodium count. I also lost my taste for it when they stopped making the meatballs all beef and made it a mixture of pork, chicken, and beef. Another part of my childhood died, along with Fizzies drink tablets and other goodies today's kids wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Used to love the Chef Boyardee complete pizza kits, too! A big treat when being babysat.
Moody IdaKnow56 5 months ago
I've never eaten canned spaghetti or any other canned pasta. My mother would've disowned me if she ever found that I did! She always made her own pasta & meatballs (no chicken) and sauce made from scratch. I still miss her cooking.
For me it was the Kraft Pizza kit. Actually I still like them.
MadMadMadWorld IdaKnow56 5 months ago
Speaking of Fizzies which I loved as a kid in the early '60s: "Who dumped a whole truckload of Fizzies into the swim meet pool?"
Dean Vernon Wormer "Animal House" (1978, film set in 1962-63). One of the funniest movies ever made!
daDoctah IdaKnow56 5 months ago
Is it possible the canned spaghetti you ate as a kid wasn't Chef Boy-Ar-Dee? The other competing brand back in the day was Franco-American, which did taste completely different. It's still available today, but is now sold under the Campbell's brand name.
MadMadMadWorld IdaKnow56 3 months ago
"Who dumped a whole truckload of Fizzies into the high school swim meet?" --'Dean Vernon Wormer' in "Animal House" (1978; recreating 1962-63). One of the funniest lines, in a film filled with funny lines!
Utzaake 5 months ago
2. Wasn't B. J. Novak the Philadelphia Phillies' star first baseman when they won the 2008 World Series?
RobCertSDSCascap Utzaake 5 months ago
No, that was Ryan Howard.
MaryAnn 5 months ago
#5 Peanut butter and mayo sandwich? 🤮 Didn’t think I would ever use that emoji, but there you go!
JanMMitchell 5 months ago
All candy bars have shrunk since I was a kid. The candy shrunk and the price increased. All foods back in the 1960s and 1970s were much better I think.
Instead of making the price more noncompetitive in raising it (i.e., devaluing the paper 'dollar'), the manufacturers have the other option: making the product smaller! Same problem: too much paper "money" (from the central bank Federal Reserve cartel) than products or services produced! End The Fed!
TexasGreek 5 months ago
Did people really make peanut butter and mayo sandwiches?

Yes, but I use Miracle Whip. Gives it just the right sweet vs. sour/tangy. You'll find that you will not require near as much to drink with your sandwich as well.
MrsPhilHarris TexasGreek 5 months ago
Peanut butter and lettuce sandwich. Yum! Malaysian and Thai food both use peanut satay. Yum again!
SheriHeffner 5 months ago
I love peanut butter, mayo and banana sandwiches, and yes they screwed up everything on here. Especially McDonald's fries
RobCertSDSCascap 5 months ago
Was hoping they'd mention Coke dropping beet sugar in favor of corn syrup.
Just not the same!
RobCertSDSCascap 5 months ago
#6- none of them are the same since they started shipping the cakes frozen!
More desert than dessert.
MaryAnn RobCertSDSCascap 5 months ago
Foil wrapped Ding Dongs were the BEST!
MrsPhilHarris 5 months ago
The only one I can comment on is the McDonalds' fries. I used to love them. Now I can't stand them, but then I can't stand any of the food from McDonalds.
McDonald's fries were the best!
The metabolically gifted amongst us were sometimes seen chowing
down on a "meal" consisting solely of several orders of fries.
Moody MrsPhilHarris 5 months ago
I agree but I think McDonald's fries still taste better than most of their competition though. But their fries from the past were much better. Some things don't always change for the better.
MadMadMadWorld Moody 5 months ago
Burger King fries were also terrific. But they now make them like steak fries, real thick, instead of the thinner ones I preferred.