13 fulfilling facts about Full House

Learn how Air Bud, Elvis and Alanis Morissette tie into the ultimate Nineties family sitcom.

Everywhere you look… the impact of Full House can still be found. The Olsen Twins are fashion icons worth half a billion. A Netflix reboot, Fuller House, has lasted five seasons. "You got it, dude!" memes pepper social media. The show — from its tone to its music — has become the ultimate example of early-'90s family sitcoms. It is a shared touchstone of Millennial and Gen-X youth.

Few people, if any, saw all of that coming when the show premiered in 1987. After first-season struggles in the ratings, the show skyrocketed to become the tentpole of the TGIF block on ABC Friday nights.

Let's jump into some fun facts that will have Uncle Jesse saying, "Have mercy!"

Watch Full House on MeTV!

Two full hours

Sundays at 2 PM

1. The sitcom's original title and concept was 'House of Comics'.

Jeff Franklin was writing and producing for Laverne & Shirley and Bosom Buddies when he had a concept for his own sitcom. What if three stand-up comics lived together in a house? Such was the premise of House of Comics. But the success of wholesome, all-ages fare like Family Ties led Franklin to retool the show to feature adorable kids and a sprawling clan.

2. There was a different Danny Tanner in the pilot!

Hey… that's not Bob Saget. Indeed, John Posey portrayed Danny Tanner in the pilot episode, seen here. It Posey's first foray into television. Saget, in the meantime, was doing comedy bits on CBS's short-lived A.M. experiment The Morning Program. After that flop got axed, Saget was freed and Full House got its man.

Image: The Everett Collection

3. Jesse's last name was Cochran the entire first season…

The title and Danny were not the only unfamiliar elements to the show in its development phase. The hip young uncle was named Adam Cochran. John Stamos requested the name Jesse, but the "Cochran" surname remained for the entire first season — until Stamos had them change it to Katsopolis to reflect his Greek heritage.

4. …and his name was originally Adam. Jesse was a nod to Elvis.

Uncle Jesse was obsessed with Elvis Presley, which mirrored Stamos' very real fandom. He suggested "Jesse" in tribute to Jesse Garon Presley, Elvis' twin brother who died in childbirth.

Image: The Everett Collection

5. Jesse Frederick was behind a bunch of TGIF theme songs.

Speaking of guys named Jesse, Frederick is the fellow singing that catching theme, "Everywhere You Look." He wrote it, too. He had a hand (and voice) in several sitcom earworms. He also sang "As Days Go By" for Family Matters. He wrote the Perfect Strangers theme. That him doing the duet in "Second Time Around," his Step By Step theme. Nearly two decades earlier, he had a solo career, released a self-titled album produced by Todd Rundgren in 1971.

Image: Bearsville Records

6. The Olsens Twins were billed as one child.

For several seasons, the show billed "Mary Kate Ashley Olsen" as Michelle, trying to shroud the fact that twins played the kid. But twins were just much easier to work with, because you can swap them out. The Olsens got the gig because they didn't cry in the audition — at six months old!

Image: The Everett Collection

7. Mary-Kate is left-handed; Ashley is right-handed.

There are some "tells" to figure out which Olsen you are watching. One of the clues is their hands. Mary-Kate is a lefty, unlike her sister. Pay attention when they're doodling. Oh… and the artwork on the fridge was reportedly made by the Olsens.

Image: The Everett Collection

8. Dave Coulier brought his catchphrase from another show.

Catchphrases abound on Full House. Every character has one. For Joey, it is "Cut. It. Out." The saying predates the sitcom. Colier's friend and old comedy partner used it in a routine. Coulier got his blessing to borrow it — which he first used repeatedly on a Nickelodeon sketch show called Out of Control, seen here. Hey, he's even making scissor fingers! Cut. It. Out.

Image: The Everett Collection

9. Dave Coulier dated Alanis Morissette.

Speaking of Nickelodeon, Colier once dated Canadian actress-turned-singer Alanis Morissette. Remember, before she became a '90s icon, she was an '80s child star on You Can't Do That On Television. Morissette and Colier dated. Colier has claimed that he is the "you" in "You Oughta Know," specifically the line "I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner." As for Alanis' take — she declines to spill the beans and secrets of her songs. She prefers to keep the mystery and it has never been confirmed by the songwriter.

Image: Reprise Records

10. D.J.'s boyfriend was the voice of Disney's Aladdin.

While we're on dating, let's talk Steve Hale, boyfriend of D.J. (well, aside from that time she went steady with a teenage millionaire Nelson Burkhard). Weinger played the role — and reprised it in Fuller House. He also voiced Aladdin alongside Robin Williams' Genie!

11. Air Bud stepped in to play Comet for an episode.

The Golden Retriever named Comet is one of the top dogs in '90s sitcomdom. In one episode, the regular canine "actor" stepped aside to let Buddy the Wonder Dog take cover. Yep, that's Air Bud in "Air Jesse." That pooch could truly hoop. No CGI needed. The internet claims Buddy played Comet for the entire series, but that does not appear to be the case. Sorry, Nineties nostalgia synergy.

Image: The Everett Collection

12. Just one episode was filmed on location in San Francisco.

Sure the show takes place in San Francisco and features the famous "Painted Ladies" in the opening credits, but of course, the show was taped in Los Angeles. Well, one episode at least filmed in San Francisco — and it centered around Comet. You can see all the sites in "Comet's Excellent Adventure."

13. There was a Russian knock-off.

The Moscow-based STS (CTC in Cyrillic) network licensed Full House from Warner Bros. to make its own adaptation: Дом кувырком. That essentially translates into Topsy-Turvy House. Our version is a lot better, obviously. Especially the theme song.

Shatner1 17 hours ago
Just looked at the new metv schedule---Outstanding! I did not see Hawaii 5-0 on it. But The Millionaire, Cheyenne and Laramie are new additions!!!! And thankfully they are keeping The Fugitive on as it is coming to it's conclusion (catching the one-armed man) in just a few weeks! Oh yeah--Bags--Gilligan is back on the schedule and Full House is not!
Rob 2 days ago
Maybe I’m just an oddball, but I never cared for Full House.
Moody Rob 1 day ago
No, you're not odd at all. In fact, you're very normal.
Shatner1 Rob 18 hours ago
You're speaking to the choir!!!
CoreyC 3 days ago
Here's #14. In the episode The Seven Month Itch Jesse's girlfriend was played by Chelsea Noble the future wife of Kirk Cameron Candace's brother.
Peter_Falk_Fan 3 days ago
This is unrelated to this story, but it's the most recent MeTV story, so I thought I would post this here:
Google "Betty White" today (the 17th). Wait a few seconds for a nice surprise.
That's nice of Google.
The "surprise is: In fancy script is written: "Thank you for being a friend!"
{with a rose below it.} and a showering of rose petals.
I would also like to apply this sentiment to my Grandma "Rose," {her real name was Ora Lenore Kepler Grant, but she really did look like BW.} She gave birth to her own Rose, (Rose Mary, my mother on 10/27/31.} Grandma died on 2/17/96. 16 years and 6 days later, (2/23/14,) my mom passed away. I hope Betty doesn't think it selfish of me for stealing a little bit of her thunder. I am not delusional, I know I am not really related to her, but with Grandma, I felt like I was. R.I.P. Betty. Thank you for being a friend to the finny footed, tentacled, 6/8 legged, 4 legged two legged (that includes Humans,) and legless creatures, "All Creatures Great And Small, that inhabit this planet! Since the Giraffe cannot speak, they will be conducting a chorus of those that can, in honor of their Human Friend!
I wonder if Fathom Events will make "Betty White A Celebration" available to other media outlets after their release.
NBC to Honor Betty White’s Life & Legacy in New Primetime Special
Celebrating Betty White: America’s Golden Girl, commemorating White’s life and legacy, will air on Monday, January 31, at 10/9c on NBC.
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 2 days ago
Thank you for this announcement, and far enough in advance to set the DVR!
stephaniestavr5 3 days ago
If anyone is wondering why there are no new quizzes/stories, it's because it's MLK Day/ {I'm assuming that's why.}
I looked back through stories/quizzes they only did one last year, on MLK Day.
They must be off this year.
LoveMETV22 LoveMETV22 3 days ago
From MLK Day 2021:
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 2 days ago
😉 !! I always enjoy how thorough you are!!
LoveMETV22 Pacificsun 2 days ago
Thank you. I enjoy your thoroughness and enjoy your contributions.
Yes,it was a long time with a Full House story at the top.

MeTV should have had an article for the day. But precisely because of Full House arriving at MeTV, I realize gphow white it is.

The reason I started watching A Different World was because of Cree Summer. Her father said to me in 1980 "we're all family". Though once there, there was lots of reason to watch.

When we arrived in New York City on June 7, 1982, after being welcomed at the UN we went across the street and among the speakers was Coretta Scott King. It was onky 14 years after her husband had been killed, it's so much longer now.
I don't understand anything of what you are saying. I sure whatever it is, others that do understand, {are you sure your comment wasn't meant for someone else?} will find it very interesting and informative.
vinman63 3 days ago
Stephanie tried but she was no Jan Brady.
Load previous comments
Full house girls were similar to the Brady’s.
Pardon my moodiness, thank you for the kind words and for putting up with me, but it's that time of the year again: The months of Jan-March are difficult for me because of my family having died. Especially this year. I can't believe, that come Saturday, it will be 10 years since I lost my best friend and sister, Becky. I know others lose people they love as well, so a part of me feels a bit selfish only thinking about myself. My dad died in Jan as well, my mom next month, and Becky's birthday in March. I am literally on an emotional roller coaster. I would compare these mood swings to one having been pregnant, or menopause, except I never went through either of them Again, I want to thank you for you kind words and understanding I will try, (going forward,) not to become so touchy.
I am a bit of a loner. Fortunately, I am able to entertain my simple self. I enjoy the solitude of deepest and darkest winter, but not everyone does. I hope you find ways to enjoy these days.
Thank for saying so. I have with an idea on how to get through the 22, {Becky's passing, and March 9th, her birthday.} I was listening to Neil Diamond's song "I've Been This way Before," {familiar w/it? If not, no biggie} I interrupted it, and sent off an email to my brother-in-law. I asked if he couldn't compile a listing of songs she liked so I could play them then. I figured since she past 10 years ago, {a fact I still can't wrap my head around,} that to just burn 10 songs. He said it wouldn't be no problem.
For my dad, who passed 4 days, {a year and 4 days,} after she did, I am thinking about going onto You Tube {as this is where I saw it before,} and taking a virtual tour of Tripolis, Greece, his hometown. Then next month on the 23rd, {my mom passed, the following year,} I will log onto YT again and visit her hometown of Decatur, IL. I am really proud of myself for not getting as emotional as I have been in the past/ As the saying goes, "gone, but not [never,] forgotten." Thanks again for the nice words, "much obliged!"
vinman63 3 days ago
Dave Coulier never mentions Morrisette so he moved on.
Tim 3 days ago
Sorry, but yet another show that doesn't belong on MeTV. Too new, too sticky sweet. It's beginning to look like I won't be watching at all on Sundays anymore.
Shelley69 3 days ago
Best show ever!!! Love fuller house too. Wished there was more. Rip Danny tanner
jacko3 4 days ago
Let's all join in honoring the Life & Legacy of Bob Saget... who was quite a hit with some very special actors and shows ... Blessings of the True Living & Loving GOD! Amen - Alleluia! 'peace'
Michael36198559 5 days ago
Bob was also a good game show host- he even gave away $1M to a winning contestant on 1 vs. 100. I know he was devastated when fellow game show host Alan Thicke passed away in 2016. Now, they're reunited in TV's Great Beyond, where they can host all of the game shows they want in heaven!!!
Barry22 5 days ago
Some interesting facts, but still, a terrible TV show.
Rick 5 days ago
Did Dave Colier and Alanis go to any movie theaters together?
TheSentinel Rick 3 days ago
Alanis isn't saying, so we wouldn't know.
stephaniestavr5 5 days ago
I want to interrupt the monotony of this article with this late breaking news item: Attention all of you who have been wanting to see Hawaii 5-0 and do get H&I, and don't get METV+: Beginning this coming Friday (1/21/22.) Hawaii 5-0 has been added to the block of show[s] that are shown then. I don't know what if any show it has replaced. For those of you who maybe wondering if it will no longer be on METV+, I don't know that, either.
Now...back to Dull Souced!
Thank you, Thank You for the late breaking news. Now a word from our commercial sponsors.
That was nice of you to keep the fans of Hawaii Five O comprised though.
It appears it's still on MeTV+'s schedule the following week.
Looks like Hawaii Five-0 might be replacing House on H & I. Here's the schedule (that section of it anyway, so viewers be the judge. Also the link to check everything out.

If that's the original series, fans are going to be really excited!
It is the original series. So fans should be "really excited!!" Just got their website, and you will see Jack Lord's photo!
Shatner1 Pacificsun 18 hours ago
I wish I got H+I, Sigh!!!!!
Pacificsun Shatner1 17 hours ago
Depending on your area don't forget to try OTA. They sell good indoor antennas for it now, just because you're able to return it, if it doesn't work because of reception issues.
Michael 5 days ago
I don't think Alanis Morissette is a fact about the show.

A check shows she was born in 1974, so she was 13 when the show began. And 21 when it ended. Given he was 15 years older, not much time while the show was on. Given the wikipedia entry, it sets up "Joey" in a very negative way.

It may be a fact related to the actors on the show, but not a fact about the show.
LoveMETV22 Michael 5 days ago
True, but how many stories/quizzes do they do that include unrelated information.
Runeshaper 5 days ago
Wow! Super interesting facts (-:
harlow1313 6 days ago
I have never viewed a moment of this program, and this is grossly unfair of me, but I suspect that this is the sort of saccharine cutesy sit-com that makes me want to puke. I could be wrong about that, but I'm more the "Malcolm in the Middle" type, or better still, the fantastic British sit-com, "Outnumbered." I so love Karen and Ben.
Load previous comments
Peter_Falk_Fan Moody 3 days ago
Yes, "The Wild, Wild West". I was wondering what you thought of the episodes without Artemus Gordon. Artemus Gordon was my favorite partner of West, but I like the episode where Ned Brown (Alan Hale, Jr.) was West's partner. In the last scene, Ned Brown tells West about his vacation plans: "I'm going to make a big dream come true. And do you know what my big dream is? I'm going to spend a vacation all alone... on a desert island." Then, a few notes of the theme song of "Gilligan's Island" plays. As Brown walks past West, West is laughing. Great stuff.
Pacificsun Moody 2 days ago
I do like the Westerns actually, when I catch them accidentally because of scheduling. But they always have a good moral tale and the actors are very convincing! Especially Gunsmoke and Rifleman (lately).
Pacificsun vinman63 2 days ago
Yes, because of the true talent.
Just watched TWWW! It was good to see it again. I can't believe I was able to see it on that station.