The Andy Griffith Show stars picked their favorite episodes of the series

Do you agree with the cast? Which is your favorite?

On October 3, 1985, Mayberry celebrated a milestone. The Andy Griffith Show Silver Anniversary Special aired on TBS, looking back at the beloved sitcom on its 25th birthday.

Don Knotts hosted the special. "What made The Andy Griffith Show such a hit was the characters," the Barney Fife actor declared in his introduction. "These are real people who cared about each other."

Knotts then presented the series "best episodes," as chosen by the members of the cast. It gave fans a fascinating glimpse into the actors' favorites, were not necessarily showcases for their particular characters.

With The Andy Griffith Show celebrating its 60th anniversary, let's look back at the favorite episodes of the stars themselves. Which is your favorite?

Watch The Andy Griffith Show on MeTV!

Weeknights at 8 PM & 8:30 PM

1. Andy Griffith: "Barney's First Car"

We begin with the man himself, the eponymous star of the show. To underline his longtime friendship with Don Knotts, Griffith picked an episode the truly showcased the comedic skills of his sidekick. The deputy has $300 burning a hole in his pockets, which he spends on a 1954 Ford sedan. The used car is a lemon, purchased from the widow "Hubcaps" Lesh (Ellen Corby from The Waltons). Griffith was not alone in cherishing this tale — the Writer's Guild of America granted the writers, Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum, an award for best writing in a comedy or variety series.

2. Don Knotts: "The Pickle Story"

"['The Pickle Story'] shows just how much Andy and Barney are willing to go through to protect Aunt Bee's feelings," Knotts explained. In this case, that means ingesting her disgusting pickles. Fans agree with Knotts. The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club voted this episode as its all-time favorite.

3. Frances Bavier: "Wedding Bells for Aunt Bee"

Here is another episode about food and the sacrifices of friendship. Aunt Bee believes that she is holding back Andy's love life, so she attempts to kindle a romance of her own in the hopes she can move out. She pretends to fall for the rather insufferable local dry cleaner, H. Fred Goss. But she can not keep up the charade.

4. Jim Nabors: "Citizen's Arrest"

Nabor's Gomer character features prominently in this tale, but it too remains largely a showcase for Don Knott's comedic skills. Barney slaps Gomer with a $5 traffic ticket. Leaving the scene, Barney executes a U-turn, prompting Gomer to pull a citizen's arrest. A stickler for the law, Barney jails himself and quits his job. Gomer stages a phony robbery at the gas station to get Barney back in the game…

5. George Lindsey: "Dinner at Eight"

What about Goober? Remember, the other Pyle did not become a prominent cast member until the color years. So it makes sense that Lindsey would select a later episode. With Opie and Aunt Bee out of the house, Andy looks forward to some welcome alone time. Of course, this being a small town, the sheriff ends up committed to three separate suppers… all of them spaghetti. Oh, and each home chef claims oregano to be the secret ingredient.

6. Ron Howard: "The Ball Game"

The reason Howard holds this moment from the show so close to his heart may surprise you. It's because it's based on a similar situation that happened to him and his dad. The episode centers on Andy Taylor serving as an umpire for Opie's championship baseball game. Andy has reservations about serving as an umpire and showing favoritism, so he decides to play fair. However, the town turns against its own sheriff when he calls out his son at home plate, forcing the Mayberry Giants to lose. "That had happened to me and my dad," Howard told Larry King in 2013. "He called me out at home on a ball game that was on my birthday. I couldn't believe he called me out!"

SEE MORE: The color seasons of 'The Andy Griffith Show' are great and here's why

11 reasons you need to see seasons six, seven and eight of this classic sitcom. Stay tuned to MeTV for more news celebrating the 60th anniversary of The Andy Griffith Show! READ MORE

Wackydoglady 11 hours ago
The Pickle episode has always been my favorite. Every scene and actor is a gem, but Don Knotts will always be the funniest on the show.
frenchman71 28 days ago
The color seasons, which were the last 3 seasons, pale in comparison to the b & w episodes. The writing was weak and the episodes were lame. There may have been about 5 or 6 episodes that were worthy but it even showed that Andy himself was getting tired.
Tww 1 month ago
I love this show. I have no absolute favorite episode,but the one that contains perhaps my favorite Barney dialogue is Dogs, Dogs, Dogs,in which Barney explains the social differences of dogs and giraffes
Frankfurter 2 months ago
My favorite has to be the one where the state prisoners are there and Barney explained the two rules here at the rock. Gomer keeps dropping the gun off the roof and Andy has to keep re catching them!
GordARebelato 2 months ago
The Pickle Story and Barney's First Car are two of my favourite episodes.
joenic27 2 months ago
Sermon for Today and Man in a Hurry are my two favorites. Not easy to pick favorites from this show, with so many great episodes to choose from. Favorite color episode is The Battle of Mayberry.
FrankCollins 2 months ago
How can you leave out the great musical episodes of the Darlings, who were actually a real musical group that was fantastic?
FrankCollins 2 months ago
The only good one chosen was the classic "Citizen's Arrest". There were so many great episodes, side-spittingly funny, and they only chose one. Give me a break. Where is the loaded goat? There are so many more. Then there are the truly heartwarming episodes.
AllisonWunderland 2 months ago
How about the Motorcycle w/sidecar episode? That was hilarious 😂
JeffSchafer 2 months ago
The best episode is "Three Wishes for Opie".
tvnerd 2 months ago

Any episode with Ernest T. Bass! Howard Morris was a great actor and director. Ernest T. Bass Joins the Army still puts me on the floor laughing. The episodes with The Darlings were also classics. Opie and the Bully, Opie the Birdman, Opie and the Spoiled Kid, Class Reunion, Prisoner of Love is an absolute classic, Bailey’s Bad Boy, Citizen’s Arrest, The Song Festers, The Fun Girls, Banjo Playing Deputy, Howard’s New Life, The Return of Barney Fife, A Visit to Barney Fife. Many more.
Sooner 2 months ago
It's hard to say there is a favorite show, when the show as a whole is absolutely one of the best ever. There just never was a show that flopped. Each one had its own magic.

As for the color episodes, I don't mind it changing to color at all. What leaves me wanting, is that Barney was no longer on the show, and he was like the heart of the show. The other characters were awesome-- each one-- but losing Barney, was like losing a child in a family. There's a giant hole there that makes everything seem very different, though life goes on.
flick11 2 months ago
I liked Car in the Courthouse.
RicardoShillyShally 2 months ago
I never liked "The Pickle Story". Forcing yourself to eat something disgusting is not plausible. Andy and Barney should have trashed the pickles. And it's ridiculous to accept that Aunt Bee, who is known to be a great cook, couldn't figure out for herself that something was wrong with them.
My favorite episode is "Man in a Hurry" which truly demonstrates the essence of Mayberry. "Opie the Bird Man" was good, even though I thought Andy was a little rough on Opie. For sheer laughs, there's "Convics at Large" with a heroic and hilarious effort by Floyd the barber, my favorite supporting character.
ScottS 3 months ago
Regarding the color episodes: I remember my mother saying that Aunt Bee flying an airplane was ridiculous; however, I crave the episodes (as a spaghetti sauce afficiando and recalling when the same mom began adding oregano to her sauce in the sixties) 1) Andy having to eat three spaghetti dinners in one night (is that the ultimate comfort food, right up there with mac & cheese?) and 2) Howard retreating to a south seas island. I can almost feel the tropical breezes; would not have worked in black and white. As much as I love the BW episodes on Me TV, I'm ready for the color seasons.
TexasGreek 4 months ago
I always wondered what Aunt Bee's pickles really tasted like as everyone just hated them. Gotta' go a long way to ruin home-jarred pickles. I wonder what she added to 'em, alum?
Anyone game to bite one?