Can you guess the location of the M*A*S*H novel from the cover alone?

Can you judge a book by its cover?

The belove M*A*S*H television series was based on a novel. Well, it was based on a movie based on a novel. Richard Hooker (a pseudonym for former military surgeon Dr. H. Richard Hornberger and writer W. C. Heinz) released the book MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors in 1968.

Obviously, it was a hit. As the M*A*S*H TV show launched in 1972, so did a new series of novels continuing the adventures of the 4077th. Which the series stayed in Korean, the thirteen paperbacks published between 1972–77 trotted the globe.

Those used to the show alone might be taken aback at having their favorite characters Hot Lips, Hawkeye and Trapper John attend the American Tonsil, Adenoid and Vas Deferens Society conference in New Orleans. (That was an actual M*A*S*H novel.)

We've gathered some covers of these 1970s best-sellers. Examine the text and art. Can you guess where it takes place?

Watch M*A*S*H on MeTV!

Weeknights at 7 PM
Sundays 7 PM

1. "Spirited nuptials north of the border!" It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  2. This first sequel novel takes place in Hawkeye's home state. It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  3. "The madcap medics run amok in the Bay City!" It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  4. "The madcap medics invade Sin City!" It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  5. "War goes to pieces in Red Square!" It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  6. Recognize anything on the skyline? It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
  7. How about this skyline? It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  8. Where is M*A*S*H now? M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  9. "The antic medics invade the citadel of Strauss and Wiener Schnitzel!" It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books
  10. Finally, where are the medics now? It's M*A*S*H Goes to…?
    Image: Pocket Books

Can you guess the location of the M*A*S*H novel from the cover alone?

Save with

TheDavBow3 4 days ago
8 of 10! Thanks to some easy clues! I didn't know there were MASH novels.
sandman 6 days ago
DAMNIT!!!!!! This wasn’t a quiz....................it was a geography test!
JaxApollo13 25 days ago
10/10 I have all of them so I may have an unfair advantage.
Lacey 28 days ago
The only book I ever saw on book racks (yes, they were a thing once) was M*A*S*H goes to Main.
I thought it was just an obligatory sequel and never knew there were 12 others out there.
Interesting the stereotypes used on the covers. I am not sure Morocco is a big oil producer, though I could be wrong, but in the 1970s ALL of that part of the world was awash with oil in American's minds.
Abigail 30 days ago
I never knew there were MASH paperbacks. Thank you for the information.
DK 1 month ago
Only one wrong and I didn't know there where MASH books.
Utzaake 1 month ago
7/10. The last three. These paperbacks remind me of the Ma & Pa Kettle and Harold & Kumar series.
Catman 1 month ago
10/10 but the answers were pretty simple to guess since "sin city" and the "bay city" and so on were dead giveaways. Medina and Morocco made me pause, but I figured the culture is more relaxed in Morocco than in Medina. But "Strauss and Wiener Schnitzel" can't be mistaken.
Never read any of the books.
DavidBartholomew 1 month ago
I read all of these. Radar became a Fast Food mogul, Mother O'Reilly's Irish Stew. Margaret was a leader of a church and Director of a Nursing school. Mulcahy was a Bishop at the Vatican.
MikefromJersey 1 month ago
9 for 10. The first 2 books were good, then it became cookie cutter hack jobs.
Runeshaper 1 month ago
You got 7 out of 10
Well done!

Pretty darn good considering I've never seen any of these LOL
walligans 1 month ago
You got 10 out of 10 -
Well done!
AllisonWunderland 1 month ago
You've got to be kidding me! 😳🤣 I got 'em all correct except for the last one...And I have never watched the show!!! 😉 Simply amazing I tell ya!
No kidding. You're amazing. They put you together just right . You were just meant to be.....Great!.
Well, I do appreciate the compliment Tex! 😊. I'm just Me, that's all I can say 😜😂
Kevin 1 month ago
I've read MASAH and MASH Goes to Maine, but I didn't know about the others.
GalaxyJane Kevin 1 month ago
Those were the only two that Hornberger actually wrote, so I wouldn't feel too bad about skipping the rest.
GalaxyJane Kevin 1 month ago
Actually I wonder how many folks have read any of them these days, or even know there was a book. The movie is probably my favorite version. The book really starts to wander anticlimactically when they get on the troopship heading home. And the less said about the last few seasons of the show, the better.

But as someone who made a career in Army medicine, so much of the book still rang true 50 years after it was written.
Spot on Jane, the last 2 seasons of MASH were terrible, the characters were oh so smug and superior in regards to all the lesser mortals. The series lost it's way, Klinger for one was practically on a first name basis with Colonel Potter and the series ignored just how brutal
the murderous North Koreans were.
bnichols23 1 month ago
Gimmes, every single one. And that would be even if you weren't a fan of the (book) series.