Do you actually know all the words to Gloria Gaynor's ''I Will Survive''?

Celebrate 40 years of the best break-up song.

It was October 1978 when Gloria Gaynor unleashed her answer to heartache in the disco hit "I Will Survive." By March the following year, the song had hit No. 1, sticking for two weeks, then returning two weeks later.

Did you ever find yourself holding your head a little higher, empowered by Gaynor's soaring chorus? You may have been at the time, but we assure you, you were not alone.

Think you can remember all the words to one of the greatest dance songs of all time? See if you can complete all the lyrics and survive this quiz. Good luck!
MeTV Music Listen Now MeTV Music Listen Now
  1. At first I was afraid, I was [???]
  2. Kept thinkin’ I could never [???] without you by my side.
  3. But then I spend so many nights / Thinkin’ how you did me [???]
  4. And I grew [???], and I learned how to get along
  5. And so you’re back from [???]
  6. I just [???] in to find you here with that sad look upon your face.
  7. I should have changed that [???] lock
  8. I should have made you leave [???]
  9. If I’d have known for just one second / You’d be back to [???] me
  10. Go now, [???], walk out the door
  11. Just turn around now, ‘cause you’re not [???] anymore
  12. Weren’t you the one who tried to [???] me with goodbye?
  13. Did you think I’d [???]? Did you think I’d lay down and die?
  14. Oh no, [???], I will survive
  15. Oh as long as I know how to [???], I know I’ll stay alive
  16. I’ve got all my life to live, and I’ve got all my [???] to give
  17. And I’ll survive, I will survive, [???]
  18. It took all the [???] I had, not to fall apart
  19. Just tryin’ hard to [???] the pieces of my broken heart
  20. And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for [???] / I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high
  21. And you see me, [???]
  22. I’m not that [???] little person still in love with you
  23. And so you felt like [???] in and expect me to be free / Well now I’m saving all my lovin’ for someone who’s lovin’ me.
Do you actually know all the words to Gloria Gaynor's ''I Will Survive''?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
TXGeek 23 days ago
22/23

*stupid "hurt me with goodbye"*
Geronimo 23 days ago
Not bad at all trying to remember all the lines................19/23
TomTerrrific 24 days ago
22/23, I was sure it was "break me with good-bye".
I got that one wrong too. In one verse it's definitely break and in another it's hurt. That's a trick question!
anthony 25 days ago
17/23.I should have changed that stupid lock.I should have thrown away the key.Then I would have ended up with better then 17 out of 23!😋
cperrynaples 25 days ago
21/23! Missed a few minor lyrics, but pretty good! Even if you never heard the song, the fact that the lines have to rhyme will get you some of the answers! I'm old enough to remember when it played every 20 minutes, so this was easy! 12 and 22 were my misses!
Barry22 25 days ago
18/23, did not survive.
Geronimo Barry22 23 days ago
78% score. Grade: C+
You survived!
AndrewHass 25 days ago
I was 15/23.
Geronimo AndrewHass 23 days ago
Ohhhhh, you just passed @ 65%
Grade: D
teire 25 days ago
18/23, this is s long song!
stephaniestavropoulos 25 days ago
I hate this song! The reason is, back in day when I used to listen to the radio, {specifically the oldies station;} this song, and Rod Stewart's Maggie May were THE MOST played songs. Even the dj's {at least one of them did,} made mention of this "fact." I remember people saying things like: "Oh, isn't [past] time for IWS/MM to be played?" "Gee, we haven't heard that song since at least an hour ago! Something like that. {I obviously, also don't like MM for the same reason.}
I think I've heard that Hotel California also fits into this category, but I still like that song. Think another reason I still don't like IWS/MM, is my luck. I seem to recall turning on the radio and one or the other will either just be starting, or be halfway finished. Or, another song would be on, but I wouldn't have the radio on all that long, before one or the other kicks off.
Kudos to those of you who still like the song, and who have been helped by it.
I felt that way about Maggie May and Hotel California, which to this day makes me feel a little carsick since it debuted during a long road trip I made in my early 20s — trapped in a VW Beetle with the Eagles for eight hours a day was not as much fun as it sounds!
Yeah, I hear ya! As much as I still like the Eagles, if I had to endure them as long as you had, {that must've been torture!} I probably would have wound up hating them as well.
You mind if I ask where you were going? Was wherever you ended up at least a pleasurable experience and helped you get through the "torture" you went through, listening to the Eagles all that time. Was it worth the long trip?
First of all I should not have to log in every time l make a comment.. that is directed to the METV's gods in their Ivory soap towers... but secondly Stephanie... I am a sort of a rock music historian and Maggie May was already an earworm back in 1971 after Stewart went solo after the Jeff Beck Group... so l would consider most disco songs of the mid 70's far more abrasive to the eardrums and synapses than Maggie May or HC or STH considering the quality of the musicianship employed in them...just my opinion for what it is worth
cperrynaples Randall 25 days ago
Stephanie, I LOVE this song! However, I agree with you that some songs should never be heard again! I actually considered not drinking Coke because of that "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" earwig!!
Funny, but what I remember most about that particular trip was the song! The trip was ok I guess, just a quick back and forth across a couple of states to visit a friend who had moved away, nothing spectacular.
OK, without all the rhetoric, what was your score?
rycki1138 26 days ago
20 out of 23
Did you make it through the quiz, ready to love again? Well, then it's a good time to revisit Gaynor's biggest hit:
PeterGuerin 26 days ago
When Cake did their cover version they changed "stupid lock" to "f------ lock".
I remember that version, although it is weird to hear a guy sing this song!
Geronimo PeterGuerin 23 days ago
I really don't care! Do you?
Bret 26 days ago