Pick: What was the greatest one-season wonder in TV history?

Did Kato and Kolchak deserve more love?

Television is a competitive business. The pressure is on from the first episode. It seems as if half of the shows made last a single season.

This is not always a knock on their quality. Perhaps a series received a tough time slot. Maybe it was too ahead of its time. In some cases, it might have just been too high quality — too expensive to produce.

There are many single-season shows with rabid fanbases. In fact, we show several such shows on MeTV. We call them one-season wonders.

Below, we gathered some of our favorite one-season wonders from the 1950s through the 2000s. They range from sci-fi to drama to Westerns. Which one is your favorite?

Of course, there are too many to list. Did we not include your favorite? Tell us in the comments!

Watch The Time Tunnel on MeTV!

Saturdays 4 AM

1. Which is your favorite television show that only lasted one season?

Pick: What was the greatest one-season wonder in TV history?

WGH 3 months ago
Earth 2 (94-95 seadon) was awesome with Tim Curry.

When does the earlier sci-fi attempts on network TV but it never caught on. It was too woke for its time

WGH 3 months ago
What about The Simpsons?

Wait, I think they were on more than one season. My bad.
WGH 3 months ago
My brother wrote The Pilot script for "my so-called life".

It aired on MTV and has a cult following. Can't believe it's only getting 3%. It deserves better.

Also can't believe Matthew Star has no votes (Actually I can! That was garbage)
ColorTVisapassingfad 5 months ago
Few remember "He & She" with Dick Benjamin and Paula Prentiss. Dry. subtle and a decade ahead of it's time as the original show about "nothing".
Karellen 5 months ago
Amazed that Firefly got 5%, and Battlestar Galactica got 19%, thought it would be the other way around. Fox really messed Firefly up ny running the episodes out of order, showing (I think) episode 3 or 4 first, then episode 2, then 5, etc. The last episode aired was the 2 hr pilot. If you watch Firefly in the correct sequence, it's one fantastic show.
It was my choice, but The Magician with Bill Bixby would be my second, and Police Squad my third.
MarshaStapleton 20 months ago
Houston Knights, with Michael Pare and Michael Beck.
rycki1138 21 months ago
It was between Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. I went with Firefly
BrianBrick 21 months ago
Frank’s Place starring Tim Reid, created by Hugh Wilson (of WKRP fame).
ChrisRobinson 21 months ago
I might also suggest Quark
WGH ChrisRobinson 3 months ago
Richard Benjamin. Nice.

I think the Invisible Man but David McCullum was only one season. It was pretty good.
Snickers 22 months ago
100% similar. Loved Kolchak and them goofy monsters.
HarryAlcantara 22 months ago
You left off Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner" (1967-1968). It's my favorite one-season wonder, followed by "Kolchak the Night Stalker" at 2nd place. Is it because "The Prisoner" was a British show?
kraftwerk 22 months ago
The Jetsons or Top Cat
WGH kraftwerk 3 months ago
You could never get Top Cat on television today. But I love it. Bought the DVD set to show my kid. He likes Benny and JuJu
JLDel 22 months ago
How about the tv series, The Honeymooners (1955-56)…. one season, 39 episodes, shown over and over and over again to generations of new fans and old. Great comedy. It inspired the Flintstones and the King of Queens.
SandraCraft 23 months ago
You left off my 2nd favorite one-season wonder, American Gothic.
Karen4stars 24 months ago
There are at least 5 I could pick...to hard to pick just one.
Willie87 24 months ago
Forgot Surface (2005 - 2006)
JoeSHill 24 months ago
One of my favorite one season TV shows was NBC's "SEARCH" (1972-1973) that "OUTER LIMITS" creator, Leslie Stevens created for Warner Bros.Television. This was TV's first "spy-fi" series, where its technology was decades ahead of its time! "World Securities Corporation" was a private firm that used its "Probe Control" division and its agents, equipped with miniaturized TV scanners and neural-dental implants, while being monitored by "VCR Cameron" (Burgess Meredith) at Probe Control, Unite One, a NASA like mission control room with computers and computerized councils, while these telemetry specialists monitor the Probe agents, like "Hugh Lockwood"-Probe One, played by Hugh O'Brian, Tony Franciosa as "Nick Bianco"-Omega Probe, and Doug McClure as "CR Grover"-Stand By Probe. The TV series was launched in Fall 1972, and the TV pilot, "PROBE", aired on NBC World Premeire on February 21, 1972, which Russ Mayberry directed. overall, a great TV series, but the NBC people didn't have patience with its ratings, and canceled the series in March 1973, with a total of 23 episodes. Robert H. Justman, associate producer of "STAR TREK" produced the series, and in its mid-season, former "MAN FROM UNCLE" producer Anthony Spinner took over in early 1973. In 2014, Warner Archive released the series onto the Made on Demand format, where it has enjoyed a re-popularity ever since! Cheryl Ladd, known in those days as Cheryl Stoppelmore, appeared as Probe Control technician, "Amy Love", and Angel Tompkins appeared in the TV pilot and earlier episodes as "Gloria Harding", a somewhat jealous Probe Medical Telemetry specialist who would nag on Lockwood while on assignment in the field.
Simply99 24 months ago
I would have picked Voyagers!, a 20 episode show from like 1983.
JohnSonger 24 months ago
Where's "The Rogues" TV show?