Do you remember when the Addams Family met Scooby-Doo?

You can't find this lost episode on DVD.

Hanna-Barbera

Read to Me

In the Seventies, Scooby-Doo was all about crossovers. The Harlem Globetrotters, the Three Stooges, even Don Knotts stopped by. But there's one crossover you might have forgotten.

In September of 1972, The New Scooby-Doo Movies came out with their third episode. Entitled "Wednesday is Missing", the episode had the gang get the Mystery Machine stuck in a ditch. A helpful Lurch brings the gang to the Addams mansion, where they meet Gomez, Morticia, Grandmama, and the rest of the family. When Wednesday goes missing, Scooby has to track down the wayard Addams and unmask the culprit.

This was an interesting episode for fans of The Addams Family TV show. The creepy clan looked more like the original Charles Addams cartoons than their TV counterparts. However, it wasn't a departure from the show. In fact, four members of the original cast — John Astin (Gomez), Carolyn Jones (Morticia), Jackie Coogan (Fester), and Ted Cassidy (Lurch)— all returned to reprise their roles.

Lisa Loring (Wednesday) and Ken Weatherwax (Pugsley), were reportedly too old to come back for their childhood roles, so they were replaced by Cindy Henderson and a young Jodie Foster. Yes, that Jodie Foster. She voiced Pugsley.

It turned out that this crossover was actually a sneaky pilot for the 1973 Hanna-Barbera Addams Family cartoon, which ran fewer than twenty episodes.

But there's something else different about this cartoon. If you look for it on DVD, you won't find it. Even the complete collection of The New Scooby-Doo Movies has 23 out of the 24 produced episodes — minus "Wednesday is Missing".

It's a simple matter of an intellectual property dispute. While "Wednesday is Missing" may have been released on VHS at some point (we know it was released in Australia as Scooby Doo Meets the Addams Family), it has never been released on digital home release. As of this writing, the Charles Addams estate still refuses to release the rights to the characters for a DVD, Blu-Ray, or digital release.

The episode has been uploaded here and there online, but an actual official release still eludes us. Do you remember this semi-lost media from 1972?

Watch The Addams Family on MeTV!

Weeknights at 6PM

MOT1970 5 days ago
I remember watching it on tv when I was a kid.
Mario500 5 days ago
"so they were replaced by Cindy Henderson and a young Jodie Foster. Yes, that Jodie Foster. She voiced Pugsley."

(imagines a different version of this part of the article (so they were replaced by Cindy Henderson and Jodie Foster.))
Brucewayne 5 days ago
It doesn’t make sense that the Addams estate is holding it up because the entire Addams Family cartoon series from H-B is out on DVD. Either John Astin or Carolyn Jones’s widower must be the one stopping the episode from being released because Astin and Jones were the only ones involved with the Scooby-Doo episode but not the subsequent series.
Bricat2001 6 days ago
I'm trying to remember if I saw it on boomerang when I was little cuz the episode seems familiar
lynngdance 7 days ago
Just a repost of the bonus vids.

Billy Joel randomly playing “Darktown Strutter’s Ball” on an abandoned piano

Behind the Scenes of “We Are The World”
lynngdance 7 days ago
We have a winner! It’s PacificSun! And the answer was “Ringo Starr”! Congrats!
texasluva lynngdance 7 days ago
Such nice awards too. She'll frame it on her wall along with the others. She won my MQ last Friday. On a roll .
texasluva lynngdance 2 days ago
Middle of the Week Fun----

Movies coming to your screen this weekend.

13 Ghosts (1960)-More of a fun type of Horror Movie. Don't be scared- Maybe you can outwit or dodge all 13.....Martin Milner and a kid are in this. You won't need your viewer for when the screen turns blue or red.

Where's the Fun???? Oops. Fun below

A Night Like This.
Pacificsun 7 days ago
Ahhh MeTV Writers, you did your homework well! True you can only find a trailer on YouTube. Any more and the copyright "bots" would've stopped it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-56vFK1rw&ab_channel=megancraycraft

However, trust that some industrious fan of both series, has a copy sequestered away on a VHS Tape, they just can't share it publically!

"Bad, Bots, Bad!"
texasluva Pacificsun 7 days ago
Hey partner. If you look below I have accommodated said video. Full version. I only found out about the episode a couple of hours ago and found it in a few minutes on IA. See below Lynn's Quiz. I am still trying to figure her Quiz out.
lynngdance 7 days ago
Quiz time!
Load previous comments
Pacificsun lynngdance 7 days ago
😉 Are you kidding me???

I don't even know the Beatles as well as their awesome fans!

Am just used to looking at videos frame-by-frame! And am aware of how they're cut.

Too much fun, thank you lynngdance!!
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 7 days ago
Absolutely!

Love those hand crafted Invites too!! 😉
lynngdance Pacificsun 7 days ago
Thank you very much!
texasluva 7 days ago
For those who wish to watch this episode I have it here at the IA site. Though I am not actually showing it but just giving you the location to watch it. I do not claim to own it nor upload it. After getting to the location just click on the arrow and then the out pointing arrows to get it full screen. The New Scooby-Doo Movies - S01, E03 - Wednesday Is Missing (1972). Enjoy.

Pacificsun texasluva 7 days ago
Very cool indeed.

I ran the link, and you're right!!
Runeshaper 7 days ago
I don't think I've ever seen that movie, but I bet it was GREAT! (-:
jaelinsmith40652 7 days ago
Yes I do remember the time I watched that episode that time it was on the boomerang.
MrsPhilHarris 8 days ago
I wonder if I saw it. 🤔
I think I might have this episode. If so I will post above
Moriyah 8 days ago
Was Gomer Pyle mentioned in any cartoons other than the Simpsons? (Let me know)
harlow1313 Moriyah 7 days ago
None that I know of. Had they put him in a cape and tights, he would have made an excellent cartoon hero, spreading his kindness to an unkind world.
Moriyah harlow1313 7 days ago
That sounds like an amazing idea! I would love to see something like that!
Pacificsun Moriyah 7 days ago
The only tie-in I could find between Gomer Pyle and the Cartoon Universe is a MeTV story at this link:

Before looking it up, does anyone know what "Shazam!" stands for? You will find the answer in the link. Or upon request, I'll post it in another comment!

I don't have this answer to this question however: does anyone know why Gomer used the word "Shazam!" (?)
Delmo Pacificsun 7 days ago
Shazam-Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury! Gomer probably said Shazam because he was a fan of the comic book. Only the writer who wrote the episode where he first said it would know for sure.
Pacificsun Delmo 6 days ago
Exactly! I thought that was a neat backstory, and fun for his fans!!