Can you guess what the heck is in these old frozen TV dinners?

Is that a vegetable or dessert?

Here's a generational divide — people who have had to cook a TV dinner in the oven versus people who have only ever used a microwave.

It's just not the same without delicately peeling back the foil around the specific little compartments, as per the instructions on the box.

Yes, kids, frozen dinners were once wrapped in metal. Do not attempt to microwave that!

Whatever your age, you can try to guess what's in these (relatively) quick meals from the packaging and ads. See if you can identify the mystery foods in these vintage TV dinners!

1. What's the red stuff in the middle of this of 1966 Swanson frozen dinner?
  2. What's this stuff in a tray from a 1969 Swanson frozen dinner?
  3. What's this brown stuff in the upper left of the same meal?
  4. What's the main course in this same meal?
  5. What's this orange rectangle in a 1967 Swanson dinner?
  6. What's in the upper left of that same meal?
  7. What this stuff in the upper right of a Swanson Polynesian Style frozen dinner?
  8. What are these golden-brown globules in a Swanson Beef Dinner frozen meal?
  9. What is this mess in the top middle of a Swanson German Style frozen dinner?
  10. Finally, what is this purple stuff in the same meal?

Can you guess what the heck is in these old frozen TV dinners?

Vintage_nyer 2 months ago
My parents would go out for the night and my grandmother would babysit and we would have these for dinner. The turkey with the soup was my favorite. Brings back such wonderful memories.
toolsrrr 3 months ago
I have fond memories of TV Dinners as a kid of the 70's.
Rickey 6 months ago
You got 9 out of 10
How did you do? More importantly — are you more or less hungry now?
Igaveyoumyfakename 6 months ago
I have no idea how I got all 10 of these correct. LMAO!
TVFF 6 months ago
9 of 10. I remember eating these while watching Star Trek reruns at 6pm.
CouchPotato19 6 months ago
I guess if I was in prison, these would have to do...............and might even taste good.
EmBee 7 months ago
They weren't especially fast-they generally took 45mins to heat up. But that gave you 45mins to do other things instead of meal prep. On the other hand they didn't really taste that good.
MichaelSkaggs 7 months ago
Eight out of ten. They used aluminum trays until 1983. By that time at least half the homes in America had microwave ovens.
JohnMitten 7 months ago
I enjoyed the lasagna dinner, particularly the creamy Italian pudding. Does anyone remember the name of that pudding?
Tortoni Pudding?
Thanks. Now I remember.
You're welcome.
Allison 7 months ago
8/10 they were so much fun - i mean the tv dinners
DavidBarker 7 months ago
7 of 10..didn't like most of those. Mostly Turkey and Salisbury Steak...
Mobius 7 months ago
I got 9 out of 10, they didn't use the meals I liked. I made some good guesses.
Mobius Mobius 7 months ago
By the way I preferred Banquet.
JDnHuntsvilleAL 7 months ago
10 out of 10, but as a bachelor I ate a LOT of these in the days.
JKMallaber 7 months ago
I actually remember having TV dinners as a kid in the 80's that still came in foil and needed the oven. I think they tasted better than the microwave ones do now. It's not just the way they're prepared, I think the food quality was better.
Pacificsun 7 months ago
They didn't cover it, but anybody remember Fishsticks?? I think they might still make them.
They sure do! Goes perfectly with a movie on a weekend afternoon.
Wiseguy Pacificsun 7 months ago
You think they still make them? Ever go to a supermarket?
I totally remember those, my mom wouldn’t buy those very often. They had things like hot dogs and hamburgers too, pork and beans. If it has Libby’s Libby’s Libby’s on the label label label.....I even remember the jingle.
Nothing like frozen nostalgia.
Pacificsun 7 months ago
Hilarious. I never thought to look back on those meals. But sure enough we actually ate them! I bought those dinners specifically for just a certain food in them. Like the Apple Crisp. Or the Tortoni Pudding (not shown). Some were just so very unique. While other parts of the dinner were nearly revolting. In the picture I couldn't distinguish between meatloaf and the walnut brownie! Scary!! Thanks for this trip back though!
Fast forward to the mid 80s, and behold: