Can you tell the difference between the Monkees and the Beatles?

Is that Paul or Peter?

The Fab Four and the Pre-Fab Four. The British Invasion and American Television. "Hey Jude" and "Hey, Hey…"

The Beatles and the Monkees were the two pop juggernauts of the 1960s. Both bands repeatedly topped the charts. Both quartets sold millions and millions of records, not to mention lunch boxes. The two obviously have a lot in common — beyond melodies, shaggy haircuts and black boots. Their album artwork looked pretty similar, too.

Think you can tell the difference between the two?

We snatched bits and clips from the record sleeves. You guess whether you're looking at the Beatles or the Monkees. Good luck!
MeTV Music Listen Now MeTV Music Listen Now
  1. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  2. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  3. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  4. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  5. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  6. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  7. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  8. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  9. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  10. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  11. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  12. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  13. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  14. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  15. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  16. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  17. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  18. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  19. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  20. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  21. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
  22. Is this the Beatles or the Monkees?
Can you tell the difference between the Monkees and the Beatles?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
EllisClevenger 3 months ago
You got 18 out of 22
Hey, hey, we can't fool you. You've probably seen both Help! and Head.
Missed #9, #12, #15, and #20.
I consider this a good score.
Disliked both groups. Although the Beatles did have a few good songs.
DiscoDave 3 months ago
Missed #6 and #16 - 20 /22. Much better than my last quiz
Edward 3 months ago
Considering that I think both "groups'" smell to high heaven, I only missed 3.
Some H.D. guessing.
CouchPotato19 Edward 3 months ago
Oh, my. Sounds like we could have a Lawrence Welk fan, here.
MrBill 4 months ago
18/22; not too bad considering I do not pay much attention to album covers.
Greg 4 months ago
19/22 IMO The Monkees should be in the RR Hall of Fame they could've take the easy way and said were actors go ahead and use studio musicians. They could've lip synced on tour. But no they put in the work to be musicians. When the Beatles were making self indulging circus music on Sgt Pepper the Monkees were making songs like last train to Clarksville. Clarksville was the departure point for Vietnam "I don't know if I'm ever coming home" Pleasant Valley Sunday was a scathing indictment of suburban banality.
Kenson 4 months ago
21/22. Had all this albums so started off easy. #20 got me as the red shirt sure looked like a Davy shirt. Playing instruments or not the Monkees did some great singing. The Beatles, in their own class as well.
Tresix 4 months ago
21/22. I missed the last one. Obviously, the ones that showed their faces were the easy ones. Usually the ones where they were all wearing the same suit were the Beatles. The only time I recall the Monkees all wearing the same thing was the pic shown here of them in the red shirts.
legion1a 4 months ago
I disliked just a few of the aspects of the the Monkees show.
It was so obvious that they were actors and not really musicians!
Every time I saw them play on screen, the guy that pretended to play the drums was so far out of synchronization with what I was hearing, that I felt embarrassed for him.
I don't understand why they didn't give him a few drum lessons so he could at least fit the part a little bit better!
Or they could have easily found good musicians that were also great actors to play the parts.
NoahBody 4 months ago
22/22 Two of my favorite bands-and i'm a huge record collector from way back !
Glenn 4 months ago
19/22. 16,20,22 somehow fooled me.
GarryDavis 4 months ago
22 of 22. As an old-time Beatles/Monkees fan, this one was fairly easy...
SheriHeffner 4 months ago
19 out of 22 but No I have never seen Help or Head. I just know that none of The Monkees never smoked. and there are cigarettes inssome of The Beatles fingers in som of these photos.