Do you think these classic shows could be successful today?

Would these beloved series still be hits if they came out now?

For some people, there's no comparison between classic television and what's on now. For others, there’s good and bad in both.

Shows like Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and The Flintstones still have undeniable cultural relevance but classics like Green Acres are overlooked by many younger audiences.

Here are 15 hit shows that are still loved by millions of TV fans across the country. If they started as new shows today, do you think they would be successful?

Watch M*A*S*H on MeTV!

10. The Brady Bunch
  11. The Carol Burnett Show
  12. Columbo
  13. The Waltons
  14. Star Trek
  15. M*A*S*H

Do you think these classic shows could be successful today?

JewelsChuck 1 day ago
53% similar guess I don’t agree with the masses!
DavidBartholomew 6 days ago
Carol Burnett couldn't be done today. It was the last Variety show on the air, I believe.

Her generation was trained by the Movie Studio system. Actors were trained to sing and dance, Singers taught to act and sing. The first 3-5 years of the show had music spots, Carol Channing, Ethel Merman, Steve Lawrence and Edie Gourmet. As the Pop music changed to Rock and Roll, and the lack of acting talent of the younger generation became apparent, they dropped the music and went complete comedy.

Look at SNL, music guests rarely are in sketches. Just no acting talent!
BTW, funniest line from a variety show was on Dean Martin. Kate Medford (?) Took Robert Goulet to task for sleeping with Carol Lawrence (his real wife) while Steve Lawrence was living with Edie Gourmet. She thought they were all living in sin! Dean was almost on the floor, laughing so hard!
I love Dean Martin. I just about pee my pants when Dean has Foster Brooks on his show!!
DavidBartholomew 6 days ago
All of these shows have been rebooted, sort of. Basic sitcoms courtroom dramas, cop shows. Laverne and Shirley was the Lucy Show.

The unique shows, like Twilight Zone, rarely succeed in a reboot, because the original was so unique and well written. And the gimmick sitcoms, Green Acres and Hogans Heroes, are past their time
Hogan's Heroes is shown around the world and hasn't aged because like Westerns it's set in a
historical period. It's a touchstone in countries as far away as Australia where a few months ago
it was referenced in the headline of a major paper. It's 55 years old, yet its a universal reference
for multiple generations down under. Yes we could pick it apart but it has some sort of magic
that makes it a money maker now and 20 years from now when those brain dead Khardashians
will be remembered by no one.
Runeshaper 6 days ago
60% similar - I really don't think all of these shows, as great as they are, would be hits today. Certain ones are timeless and I can't ever see being flops.
John 7 days ago
I think a lot of the people voting in this quiz/poll are basing their decisions on their fondness for the show rather than the realities of television in the current year. Hence, every show gets a "hit" designation in the majority of people taking the poll. In 2020, cop and courtroom shows are still popular, but period dramas, like westerns are too niche market to find a lasting audience in the self-absorbed post-millenial era. There are a few shows here that have been demonstrated to have timeless appeal, like Star Trek and the Carol Burnett Show. But sitcoms leaning on cross-cultural humor, like Green Acres and I Love Lucy, would be considered politically incorrect, and comedies with an all-white cast, like The Brady Bunch and the Andy Griffith Show died around the time the last episode of Seinfeld was broadcast.
StefsterHB 7 days ago
Was this a quiz or a poll? Seemed more like a poll. 100% is the score. Interesting to not see Hogan's Heroes on this poll as it's one show that would be uber controversial right now.
Katzi 10 days ago
People compare the zaniness of Lucy to Fran from The Nanny. So Yeah I'd say I Love Lucy would work today.
CouchPotato987 10 days ago
I don’t see too many western shows in 2020, so I can’t see the Rifleman or Gunsmoke being very popular. Perry Mason and Columbo would be hits because of all of the CSI and Law and Order shows on in 2020.
UTZAAKE 10 days ago
40% similar. Thought 9 of 15 would be flops. Most fail on racial diversity.
2 & 7. Deadwood rendered all previous TV westerns obsolete.
RavensDawn 11 days ago
💯! Ahhh......the good ol' days.....
jimmyvici 12 days ago
53% similar. Not sure on a few of them. What about Mannix?🤣🤣🤣
CaptainDunsel 12 days ago
28% similar.
It's interesting to note that on all but two the votes are strongly in favor if "it would be hit". I rather suspect a significant number of people are really answering the question "Would it be a hit WITH ME?"
Randall 12 days ago
The two big things to consider are Political correctness and a dated premise . I love sixties TV because it is pure escapism not many people think like me. There has to be some elements of reality in modern shows! That is truly unfortunate!
MrsPhilHarris 12 days ago
73% similar. Some of the shows were of their time. There is no way Lucy would be a stay at home housewife nor would Laura Petrie although I love both of those shows.
TexasGreek 12 days ago
53% similar
I don't thing Hollywood would approve the vast majority of the shows nowadays.
Hollywood is getting it's collective "hind-end" kicked by Great Britain, China and India. Even Canada has become a large player in American TV. Hollywood is out of touch... in it's own little bubble. If they don't do something soon they will become irrelevant. Too many big players in the world now. Hollywood is not an innovator anymore and certainly is out of touch with the vast majority of American families. That's why MeTV/et al is such a requested network now in so many US states and British programming is a hit for PBS. And yet, Hollywood still doesn't seem to be clued in to what is happening to them.
My own humble opinion.
BrentwoodJon TexasGreek 11 days ago
I agree & your right Hollywood is out of touch!
pacmancdi TexasGreek 10 days ago
Yeah I mostly stick to watching either vintage or foreign stuff. It's noticably better