Only a Boomer can recognize all these brand names from the Sixties

What is being sold in these vintage ads?

Flipping through old magazines is a time machine. The articles are fascinating, for sure, but the advertisements are just as interesting in hindsight. In fact, the ads might be a better capsule of the time.

The following products were all featured in LIFE Magazine in 1966. Some of them lasted for decades — and even might be around today.

But most likely, you had to live through the 1960s to remember them. Or at least really know your pop culture. Good luck!

Watch Star Trek on MeTV!

Saturdays at 10 PM

1. What was Pan Am?
  2. Where would you put Hush Puppies?
  3. Competitors Philco and Admiral were both advertising the same products. What were they?
  4. Stardust declared, "Go where the action is." What "luxury" was Stardust selling for $8–$10?
  5. Tappan touted its "Time Machines." What kind of machines were they?
  6. Old Grand-Dad was the head of the family. What kind of product was it?
  7. Enco used this smiling tiger to sell its…?
  8. McGregor had the "young ideas." Ideas about what?
  9. Kelvinator
  10. What brand used this logo?
  11. Wink
  12. Herculon

Only a Boomer can recognize all these brand names from the Sixties

Elkoman 1 month ago
11 of 12 , wasn’t old enough to drink then, beer almost got me! Cool can
Veronica 1 month ago
I'm a Gen-Xer, yet I still got everything correct. But that's because I made a guess on some of them. With others, like Kelvinator, Tappan, Pan Am, and Hush Puppies, I already knew what they were. :)
EllisClevenger 1 month ago
You got 12 out of 12
Looks like you had these right at the top of your head! Nice work!
I have a question.
#7 ENCO
In what part of the country?
Where I lived, it was ESSO.
ltcmdrbrown 1 month ago
10/12. Not a boomer, just a trivia feel.
TheDavBow3 1 month ago
10/12. Not too bad. Missed the Schlitz one. Also missed the Stardust casino one. I associate "Where The Action Is" to the Paul Revere and the Raiders TV show 😊. Fun.
Dale 1 month ago
"You got 11 out of 12 Looks like you had these right at the top of your head! Nice work!"
The only one I missed was # 6, Old Grand-Dad. Never heard of them. But in my defense, I came from a dry family and I don't think booze could advertise on TV back then. Should have read LIFE magazine more often I guess.
sgruss Dale 1 month ago
Oh, yes, booze and cigarettes were common sponsors of TV shows in the 60s. But Old Grandad May have been a regional thing. I missed Wink...never heard of it.
Kim 1 month ago
Oops, missed #10. We had another name for Schlitz...can't print it here
thedude1500 Kim 1 month ago
But Schlitz had gusto
AlF 1 month ago
10/12. Grapefruit soda?! Blech!!
thedude1500 AlF 1 month ago
Then you might want to avoid Squirt as well.
CarolKelley 1 month ago
Depending on what part of the country you were in, Enco was called something else. In the southeast, it was Esso, as in the Esso Club in Clemson, SC. The Esso Club was an old Esso service station where friends of the owner started hanging out. Whatever the name, they were all subsidiaries of Standard Oil, now Exxon. Put a Tiger in Your Tank!
moax429 CarolKelley 1 month ago
The parent company was Standard Oil Co. of *New Jersey,* CarolKelley.

Pity that by the time I was a teenager and I was ready to drive in the early 80's, Enco/Exxon had disappeared from Michigan and, when I was living there from 1978 to 1983, Illinois. But my family and I moved to New Jersey in the summer of 1983 - we stayed there for three years - and Exxon stations abounded (there was even one up the street from our house!). I had a 1978 Ford Pinto hatchback (yecch!!!!), and Exxon Extra Unleaded (super unleaded) was the only gasoline that performed decently in that piece of junk.

Now I'm back in Charlotte, Michigan, and Exxon has made a resurgence in Muskegon, Grand Rapids, the Detroit suburbs, and outside Flint in a little town called Perry. Although I can't use Exxon Synergy Supreme (as the premium grade is now known) in my 2008 Chrysler Sebring, I do stop by the Exxon in Perry (for old times' sake, whenever I visit my sister in Davison) and fill up with Exxon Synergy Regular, which performs very well in the 2.7 liter V-6 engine that car has.

Even though Mobil's Pegasus is now the Exxon Tiger's sibling, the Tiger does a great job in my car's tank! (Most likely, Exxon returned to Michigan after the company became ExxonMobil, but I'm glad Exxon's back!)

Oh, I forgot - perfect score, 12/12! Take it easy, everybody, and stay safe!
AlF moax429 1 month ago
Had a friend with a Pinto. Used to tease her about the possibility of being hit from behind and blown to kingdom come...
TheDavBow3 CarolKelley 1 month ago
I remember the old ESSO sign high in the sky spinning around. It was the inspiration of Buck Owens' "Tiger By The Tail" hit.
moax429 AlF 1 month ago
Thank the Lord she and I are *still* alive!

After that escapade, I vowed I'd *never* drive a Ford again!
DavidBarker 1 month ago
You got 10 out of 12
Looks like you had these right at the top of your head! Nice work!
JimmyD 1 month ago
9/12. In my defense, by the time the 60s closed out I was only 4.
RobertK 1 month ago
11/12. I missed #4, Stardust. I figured the casino answer was too obvious, $8-$10, really? The girls on the picture had me choose perfume since I recall a brand by that name. My uncle used to have Old Grand Dad at his house, my Dad's favorite was Cabin Still...
Good Times! Stay safe all...
Angela 1 month ago
11/12 this time. I see someone woke up and fixed this quiz.