Pick: Which song would you listen to on the radio in 1979?

Imagine you're back in 1979. You've got the windows down on your Oldsmobile Cutlass and the radio is cranked up. But you can only listen to one station at a time, of course.

Below, you will find some of the biggest hits from 1979. Many of them went all the way to No. 1. You would have easily found them on the dial throughout the months of the year.

So, the big question is — which one would you listen to? See how your music taste compares to others!
  1. These three hits from January '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  2. These three hits from February '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  3. These three hits from March '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  4. These three hits from April '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  5. These three hits from May '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  6. These three hits from June '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  7. These three hits from July '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  8. These three hits from August '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  9. These three hits from September '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  10. These three hits from October '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  11. These three hits from November '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
  12. These three hits from December '79 are playing at the same time. Pick one:
Pick: Which song would you listen to on the radio in 1979?

Share your results:
Save with
Enjoy even more classic shows on-air! Find where to watch MeTV in Washington, DC

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
kissoff 1 day ago
1979 was still a good year for music...of all genres. This was before MTV and rap/hip-hop came in and flushed the music scene down the toilet which is where it still is today!!
kissoff 1 day ago
JamesB 2 days ago
88%, mostly by voting against the type of songs people think of when they trash the late '70's. I still like Dire Straits' 1st album over the rest of their long run and anything Eagles. I didn't appreciate "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (and didn't vote for it here) until it was used for a Seinfeld montage! ;)
AllisonWunderland 3 days ago
Oh yeah! Class of '79....best days, best songs, best all around! Wouldn't trade those days for anything! Go 1970's!
GiorgioDemos 3 days ago
I got 56%. Obviously I was more into R&B and not so much into Rock. Don´t recall hearing those songs by Styx, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Cheap Trick, etc, as much as I heard songs by Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, etc.
JeffTanner 3 days ago
56% similar ---------56% similar to the most popular responses.
daDoctah 3 days ago
One thing is for certain: in 1979, I had stopped listening to what Elton John was doing, even though I'd still play his earlier albums. Likewise, Olivia Newton-John was in the process of reinventing herself from her earlier countrified stuff.

Mostly I was just waiting for disco to finish dying. Blondie and the Knack had showed us that it could be done, we just had to wait for everyone else to catch on.
Gregory 4 days ago
I'm 88% similar, and this is about as close as I get to mainstream. And I did have an Olds Cutlass.
hardrockinmofo 4 days ago
In all actuality, in 1979 I was listening to punk rock!
NoahBody 4 days ago
63% similar but now i wanna hear Makin' it !!!!
Amalthea 4 days ago
I got 54%, but I had a hard time with this whole quiz. I turned 15 that fall, so I was all about my transistor radio and my 45s. There were only 2 songs out of the whole list that I didn't listen to at the time! (Parliament and Prince...hey, I WAS only 15!)
JeanInTN 4 days ago
I also agree that we need a "none of the above." I didn't remember many of these songs. The music started changing after the mid-70s, and I started listening more and more to country music. The country music in the late 70s and the 80s was much more melodious than today's country, and a lot of it crossed over into the pop charts. Then country started to change, too, so now I only like the true oldies (50s-mid 70s, maybe even a few things from the 40s), southern gospel (although it's changing, too, and there's some of it which I now just don't enjoy the style), and talk radio. We used to have a great oldies radio station in the Tri Cities, TN, area a number of years ago but after the format changed I started listening to more and more talk radio. Please bring back the REAL music!
AgingDisgracefully 4 days ago
Had to abstain on too many.
Pretending is bad.
Love your user name!
Tresix 4 days ago
34% similar. There were a few where I would have chosen "None of the above".
Baldman 4 days ago
These people must have been living in the country and never got out much with their picks.
thedude1500 4 days ago
Only 5% of you Bieber lovers would listen to P-Funk?
The answer to #2 is none of these above.
Brian 4 days ago
Wow, I got 94%, which floored me as I usually have much lower scores on such quizzes.
MsGeek 4 days ago
We need a "none of the above" option on all of these. Also, definitely missing Punk Rock. No Clash? No Ramones? No Dead Kennedys? No Black Flag? No Minutemen? No Stranglers? Come on people!
JamesReyes 5 days ago
The songs I picked are the ones I truly remember. It was also the year I started listening to album rock music.