Were these Gunsmoke scenes originally in black and white or did we change them?

Guess if these images are from the early black and white seasons or the later color ones.

The classic television western Gunsmoke went through many iterations over its twenty-year run. It transitioned from a half-hour show to a full hour, some cast members left while others joined and it made the switch from black and white to color like so many programs from that era.

We’ve collected 15 images from various seasons of Gunsmoke and changed them all to black and white. Can you tell which ones were originally in color?

Watch Gunsmoke on MeTV!

Monday - Saturday at 1 PM & 1:30 PM

1. Gunsmoke had many different opening titles. Was this one originally in black and white or color?
  2. Is this Matt Dillon from an early black and white season or a later season in color?
  3. Here's Kitty playing guitar. Is this from a color episode or a black and white one?
  4. That's Harrison Ford! Was he in a black and white episode?
  5. Is this scene from a black and white episode?
  6. What about this scene?
  7. That's Charles Bronson! Was he in a color episode or a black and white one?
  8. Is this from an episode originally broadcast in color?
  9. What is this image from - a black and white scene or a color one?
  10. Here, Matt and Kitty enjoy a cup of tea. Is this a color scene or not?
  11. Was this scene of Festus riding a cow originally broadcast in color or black and white?
  12. Is this sad scene from a black and white episode or a color one?
  13. That's Bruce Dern! He was in both color and black and white episodes. Here, he plays an outlaw who kidnaps Kitty. Is that a color episode or not?
  14. Is this Kitty from an early black and white season or a later season in color?
  15. Is this Doc Adams from an early black and white season or a later season in color?

Were these Gunsmoke scenes originally in black and white or did we change them?

JanFresh 18 days ago
I missed #4 with Harrison Ford
JanFresh 18 days ago
14/15 Gunsmoke is my all time favorite western
CaptainDunsel 22 days ago
14/15
Missed #11
I addition to the "actor" and "age" tips others mentioned, there are some differences in the way color or b&w get lit and shot that remain even when color is removed.
Cowgirl 26 days ago
You got 13 out of 15
You knew a thing or two about that quiz! Great job!
I missed #12 & #14.
I wish the entire show had been filmed in color so I could see how pretty Kitty's outfits really were.
EllisClevenger 27 days ago
You got 12 out of 15
You knew a thing or two about that quiz! Great job!
Missed #13, #14, and #15.
supruser 27 days ago
..missed #1 & #10 ..most of them were easy because of the characters that were in them gives away the time they aired..
LaJenna supruser 27 days ago
Also hair styles
Craigg 29 days ago
You got 14 out of 15
You knew a thing or two about that quiz! Great job!

Missed the last one.
UTZAAKE 30 days ago
12/15. 9, 12 and 15.
13. Fear the Sneer!
JZ6030 1 month ago
15/15. This one was right in my wheel house. This is my favorite show so I would have been disappointed if I didn’t get them all.
Gunsmoke. A classic that defies time. B/W or Color always entertaining.
starrmervine 1 month ago
Obviously I don’t pay attention I just want to be entertained
MaryAnn starrmervine 30 days ago
Your comment makes me feel a lot better about my abysmal score on this frustrating quiz. Thank you!
OldSoul 1 month ago
15/15 because I paid attention to how young the actors are and who was in each episode.
TheDavBow3 1 month ago
13/15! I had to go by how young Arness, Stone or Blake looked or whether Ken Curtis, Dennis Weaver, Burt Reynolds was in it.
texasluva 1 month ago
Here it's already Friday and MeTV seems to have slowed down today. Since yesterday they put on a marathon of quizzes for us to gleefully click away at. That was fun I tell ya. Now I have a hankering to dwell into some music 1000 miles Southeast of the Pecos down in the Bayou. These folks here like to stomp away with their "zydeco" Louisiana Creole French sounds. Fiddles, Squeeze boxes and jamming voices. You soon will be a fixn' to be light afoot and slapping a knee or two. A surprise since you can't think possibly there is anything else other then crocks, fish, Bayou fried shrimp down in the swamp to offer. There's a heap lot more then that partner. Here we go so grab a partner and kick up some dust. Solo can't hurt much either.

This boy here is something to behold. A one man and a band with fiddling extraordinaire.

If you wanna someone to squeeze a Creole box this is the one. "King of Cajun", Jo-El Sonnier.

"Let's Zydeco" In New York??? Okay lets go.

Sarah Savoy and her band.. Stick around this gets good.
The only "Squeeze Box" I want to hear, is the one written by The Who's Pete Townsend. You said "grab a partner and kick up some dust." Solo can't hurt much either. I know you mean by oneself. But if one has a hankerin' and if he were available, one could "kick up some dust, and grab a partner" by the name of: Napoleon Solo and cry "U.N.C.L.E.!"
MaryAnn texasluva 30 days ago
Mr. Kershaw was AMAZING, and the dancing looked like a blast! Wait...does this mean I’m officially ‘old’? Because my daughters say it does. Whatever! Thanks for the post, tex!
texasluva MaryAnn 30 days ago
Yes he sure was, fit as a fiddle too. You are as old as you feel you are. If you are enjoying yourself you just might think you're more then just a tad younger. You are most welcome
That man could sure make you cry U.N.C.L.E. Availability is surely the question. Though dust could certainly still be in the picture. Pete Townshand The Who, who don't live in Whosville but can still squeeze off a few or two.
MrsPhilHarris 1 month ago
9/15 About as good as I thought I would do.
cperrynaples 1 month ago
12/15! And here are a few hints: [1]The actors aged over the years! [2]Dennis Weaver & Burt Reynolds were only B&W! [3]Newly was color and Festus was mostly color! [4] Harrison Ford was too young for B&W!