What year were these Christmas carols first released?

Some are older than you think!

Christmas and music go together like eggnog and gingerbread. Everyone has their favorite festive tunes, but most can agree on a few must-have songs for any holiday playlist.

What you might not realize is just how long many classic Christmas carols have been around! Here are a some of our favorites. Can you guess when each song was first released?

1. What year was this song first released?
  2. What year was this song first released?
  3. What year was this song first released?
  4. What year was this song first released?
  5. What year was this song first released?
  6. What year was this song first released?
  7. What year was this song first released?
  8. What year was this song first released?
  9. What year was this song first released?
  10. What year was this song first released?
  11. What year was this song first released?
  12. What year was this song first released?
  13. What year was this song first released?
  14. What year was this song first released?
  15. What year was this song first released?
  16. What year was this song first released?

What year were these Christmas carols first released?

harlow1313 1 month ago
After further consideration, I have to say my favorite Christmas song is The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York." The Kinks "Father Christmas" drops to second.
Moverfan harlow1313 28 days ago
I've heard Father Christmas on the radio a few times, but never knew who was singing. Now I know. Thanks!
Mike 1 month ago
I am surprised at how badly I did. 8/16
UTZAAKE 1 month ago
10/16. Picket fences 1-11 and 12-14.
JLWest 1 month ago
You got 16 out of 16 - Ring-a-Ding Ding!

idkwut2use 1 month ago
10...but I know 14 of the 16, mostly by heart...I’m just not great with dates.
Filmnoirfan 1 month ago
12/16 - Ho, ho ho! Not the score Santa would have preferred. Happy holidays to all regardless of your favorite song!
bettyluvsgators 1 month ago
I have never heard of most these songs. Far from classic Christmas songs!
TexasGreek 1 month ago
You got 11 out of 16
I was shocked that some of these were much older than I guessed! Wow.
Barry22 1 month ago
12/16, not bad for a Jewish kid out of Miami. Oy!!!
15inchBlackandWhite 1 month ago
12/16. I actually can't take Christmas music. Too many years in retail having it on a repeating loop 80 hours a week.
Where I work they are now playing Xmas music. We think they play, max, ten songs.
BrianMoore 1 month ago
15 out of 16. #12 tripped me up.
frenchman71 1 month ago
12/16. Some of these I never even heard of. I never liked modern day artists, be they country, pop or rap, doing classic Christmas songs. Just my choice.
francolaguna1 1 month ago
1984 "Last Christmas" was nursing my first Heartbreak; will never forget that.
stephaniestavropoulos 1 month ago
I have {at least} 3 songs I'm a "snob" about:
I will only listen to my favorite carol "Do You Hear What I Hear?" By Johnny Mathis, {or if I'm in the mood, Nat King Cole, he is a favorite of mine.}
"Santa Baby" sung by the one and only Eartha Kitt {the originator who recorded it first.}
"We Need A Little Christmas" Sung by Auntie Mame herself: Angela Lansbury. I will not have my tender, delicate, auditory appendages poisoned and possibly deafened by anyone else's recordings of these songs.
Load previous comments
I guess you didn't "hear" the sarcasm in my question about who the Heck is a Wendie Malleck? It was a rhetorical question.
Yes, you are a "Stinker" for having brought up the Material Girl. {Of course, since you have, "You know, of course, this means war!" Now who's being a "Stinker!"} Thanks for the giggles 'n' grins with that sexy, Playbunny centerfold drawing of Bugs. He has such a seductively, sensuous way of holding that carrot!}
I'll be honest, I heard a bit of Madonna's SB version a while back. {I think played it on You Tube by mistake, thinking it was Eartha's version I clicked.} As I said, when I first heard Madonna's I thought it was Eartha! Those first few notes, fooled me! But I quickly regained my senses, shut her off and found Eartha! Whew! That was a close one! I nearly subjected myself to hearing her entire version before snapping out of it!
Moverfan lynngdance 1 month ago
As long as you don't bring up her version of American Pie (which is about the only one that ever figured out how to cut several minutes and is actually pretty damn funny when listened to in the right mood--I heard it once and that was enough, thank you).
I guess I didn't get the "sarcasm" in your question. There are some people on this site who don't keep up with pop culture (me, for one). I like the old shows...not the crap that poses as entertainment on primetime now. The newest show I ever watch is "Last Man Standing" and they're just about in total reruns.