After Gomer Pyle, Jim Nabors became a nut farmer in Hawaii and needed a life-saving liver transplant

''I raise macadamia nuts in Hawaii and that's good enough for me.''

From his first appearance on The Andy Griffith Show to his own spinoff series, Jim Nabors will always be associated with the naive, lovable Gomer Pyle.

Nabors played the character for several years, solidifying his name in Hollywood history during some of the greatest years of television across the board.

In 1975, The Sacramento Bee reported that Nabors had to put up with the repercussions of playing such a lovable, yet innocent character like Gomer Pyle wherever he went. Like so many famous actors, sometimes fans and viewers can't see beyond the TV screen and beyond the character in real life.

"He was never stupid," Nabors said of his famous character. "But people didn't understand that. They would come up to me and say, 'Boy, are you stuuuupid!'" For reasons like this and because Nabors had always thought of himself as an all-around entertainer, more than just an actor, he left Gomer, Pyle U.S.M.C. after five seasons, despite strong ratings.

The freedom allowed Nabors to do more of what he wanted. "I do a little dancing, and a little singing. A little acting and a bit of joking. Television is mah fay-vor-right thing but public ay-peerances are most ee-go-satisfyin," he's quoted as saying in The Sacramento Bee, depicting his southern accent.

Part of what he wanted following Gomer, Pyle U.S.M.C. was a simpler life, evident by his relocation in 1976.

According to an article from Chattanoogan, Nabors moved to Hawaii, perhaps for obvious reasons such as year-round good weather, but he also found a new calling. After his move off the mainland, he "later purchased a 500-acre farm on Maui and became a successful macadamia nut farmer," the article states.

Years later, Nabors was just as content with his farming habits. He was still in Hawaii in 1995, when he attended Carol Burnett's opening night on Broadway in Moon Over Buffalo. According to a Newsday newspaper article, Nabors flew all the way from Hawaii to see his best friend Burnett.

That came after a challenging and scary time for Nabors. In 1994, he needed a life-saving liver transplant as a result of hepatitis B. According to an Associated Press article from 1994, Nabors contracted hepatitis B several years prior to his transplant while he was out of the country.

"I really wasn't sick," Nabors said in the AP article. "I just thought I was tired... I went to the doctor and they discovered that my liver wasn't working anymore."

By the time of Burnett's show on Broadway in 1995, Nabors had "completely recovered" from the life-saving transplant.

Nabors, when asked if he'd ever return to the bright lights of Hollywood and re-ignite his acting career said, "Nope, I'm into nuts. I raise macadamia nuts in Hawaii and that's good enough for me."

Watch Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. on MeTV!

Weeknights at 9 PM
Saturdays at 5 AM & 5:30 AM

Oldwatcher73 16 days ago
I REMEMBER ON A TRIP TO HAWAII SEVERAL YEARS BACK, TAKING A HELICOPTER TOUR OF MAUI...IT WAS SPECTACULAR AND OF COURSE A THING EVERY TOURIST SHOULD DO..KIND OF REMINDED ME OF THE OLD "MAGNUM" TV SERIES AND THE HELICOPTER!IBN ANY CASE, THE PILOT GAVE A FAIRLY DETAILED TOUR GUIDE LOOK AT THE BEACHES,WATER FALLS,AND ALL THE PLACES OF INTERST TO SEE FROM THE AIR,ONE OF WHICH WAS JIM NEIGHBORS PLANTATION..SIZEABLE AND OF COURSE BEAUTIFUL...
PierreKhoury 17 days ago
Why is METV not showing Gomer Pyle & Green Acres anymore!! Some stupid news is now on in the place
of them! This is so nuts!
Possibly it is a local thing? I saw Gomer and Oliver just last night.
BorisK BuckeyeBeth 16 days ago
And I just saw a Gomer (where he saves Sgt. Carter in court by telling the hard truth) and the Green Acres 'Molly Turgis' episode here in San Diego a few days ago ... it must be local
AlbertHanson 17 days ago
Why no mention of Nabor's spouse, Stan Cadwallader? They were together for 42 years, but were married for four of that 42 years, after same-sex marriage became legal in Washington.
BorisK AlbertHanson 16 days ago
Could it be that the story was about Nabors and Hawaii nut farming and not his personal life? Why would you insist that Nabors' gay life has to be the focus of every article or mention? Not necessary -- you don't always read about a star's significant other in every bleeding article. Give it a rest.
LmerFudd 17 days ago
I'm glad Jim found happiness. Maui is beautiful.
bagandwallyfan52 18 days ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARLO THOMAS
NOVEMBER 21,1937
ANN MARIE OF THAT GIRL
bagandwallyfan52 19 days ago
I like this song called

CHUCK CUNNINGHAM BLUES!!
bagandwallyfan52 19 days ago
I NOW have several forms of proof
THAT CHUCK CUNNINGHAM was NOT
RETCONNED ON HAPPY DAYS.
bagandwallyfan52 20 days ago
Lou Ann Poovie (ELIZABETH MacRAE) FROM Gomer Pyle USMC.
bagandwallyfan52 20 days ago
Newt Kiley of Green Acres says that
Persons in Hooterville like to watch
Gomer Pyle and that they don't like
to miss watching Gomer Pyle.
bagandwallyfan52 20 days ago
I would like to see reruns of The
Jim Nabors Variety show and Lost
Saucer with costar Ruth Buzzi.
Frank Sutton and Ronnie Schell
WERE REGULARS on The Jim
Nabors Hour.
bagandwallyfan52 20 days ago
Does anyone know if Gomer Pyle or
Captain Marvel was the first person
to say SHAZAM !!
Moriyah 21 days ago
Very interesting! I never knew that he had a liver transplant! I just learned something new about him!
Moriyah
When someone submits a quiz ona TV show like Gomer Pyle USMC or
Gilligan's Island or any other TV show do they have the choice of either using their USERNAME OR their REAL NAME?
I think you have to use your real name for that
Pacificsun Moriyah 19 days ago
Moriyah! Here's your story! Notice the date.

I think it's well-written and featured very nicely with interviews and quotes and Jim Nabors background and even why he left with the Show. It's the most comprehensive story I've read about him on this website. And says much about his personality!

I didn't know about the acreage and the crop, definitely income producing and amazing to own 500 acres. Actually the day, but maybe they changed the permit as of Nabor's property, non-natives of Hawaii weren't permitted to "own" property specifically. The leased it. Makes the story even more enjoyable.

Hope you liked it!!
hermanstein2015 Moriyah 14 days ago
Carol Burnett helped him get that liver transplant, she saved his life!
terrymarvin 22 days ago
Thursday, November 17, 2022--6:58 pm CST

Yes, Carol Burnett had a to with Jim Nabors liver transplant. She saved his life by fining a great liver specialist.
hermanstein2015 22 days ago
Carol Burnett had a lot to do with the liver transplant! She helped save his life!
Runeshaper 23 days ago
Interesting story. Glad he was able to get the liver transplant.
bagandwallyfan52 23 days ago
Strange Observations on Gomer Pyle USMC and Petticoat Junction and
Green Acres and The ADVENTURES of Ozzie and Harriet:
Why did Cpl Nick Cuccinelli (TOMMY
LEONETTI) VANISH AFTER SEASON ONE AND HE Ws Replaced by Cpl Boyle played by Roy Stuart ?
Why did Cpl Boyle Roy Stuart Vanish
With no explanation at the end of
Season 4 And Boyle was Replaced by
Cpl Slater played by Ronnie Schell ?
On Happy Days I don't know why
BAG (NEIL J SCHWARTZ) WHO PLAYED THE DRUMS IN RICHIES BAND WAS REPLACED BY STICKS
(JOHN ANTHONY BAILEY ) AS THE
NEW PERSON TO PLAY THE DRUMS
IN RICHIES BAND IN SEASON 3?