R.I.P. Lyle Waggoner of The Carol Burnett Show and Wonder Woman

He also nearly played Batman.

Image: The Everett Collection

Most folks know Lyle Waggoner best as a man of action, Steve Trevor on Wonder Woman. He could do comedy, too. A decade earlier, he was cast as the handsome announcer for The Carol Burnett Show, a role which eventually grew into a full-time comedic ensemble member.

The charming actor had quite the fan following. "He got a card table and a chair and set up an 'office' in the hallway outside the writers' room," Burnett remembered in her 2017 memoir In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox. "He would sit there when he had time and answer the mail." He also got cash through the mail, from selling copies of his pamphlet How to Audition and Get the Job for a dollar.

Before all that, he was nearly Batman.

Two screen tests were filmed to decide on the casting of Batman and Robin for the 1966 camp classic Batman. One, obviously, featured Adam West and Burt Ward. The other starred Lyle Waggoner and Peter R.J. Deyell. While Waggoner would ultimately lose the role to West, he would end up as another prominent DC Comics hero, Steve Trevor.

A year after leaving Carol Burnett, Waggoner began his stint on Wonder Woman, serving as the trusty sidekick to the powerful princess. If he looked good in a uniform, perhaps it was due to his time serving in the U.S. Army in 1950s. He was a radio operator in Germany.

In 1976, the city of Encino, California, named Waggoner it's honorary "mayor," an honor also given to familiar TV faces like Steve Allen, Mike Connors and Ronnie Schell over the years.

As Wonder Woman was ending, Waggoner transitioned to another Hollywood career that fit his name — he founded Star Waggons, a company leasing trailers used for location shooting in the film industry.

According to his family, Waggoner died at his home on the morning of March 17, as reported by TMZ. He was 84.

JOELONG123 14 days ago
WHY DOESN'T ME.TV SHOW EPISODES OF
THE INVADERS TV SHOW HERE LIKE YOU'RE
DOING WITH THE ONES YOU'RE ALREADY
SHOWING???
Bluebelle 3 months ago
Love METV, just wish I wouldn't lose the connection so I can watch my favorite shows like Carol Burnett. Lyle was a class act.
jacko3 5 months ago
Lyle Waggoner .. recall him in the great Carol Burnett series .. GOD Rest his soul ....
KathrynJordan 6 months ago
Sad to hear of the passing of another great actor. I am so glad that I have the Complete Wonder Woman series that he was in. I still enjoy watching a series that I watched in my childhood. RIP Lyle Waggoner.
Fati 7 months ago
Start earning money today from 2-3 hundred dollars per hour by just simple on-line working by giving only one hour of your daily life . its very easy. Everybody can now get this job and start earning cash online right now by just follow instructions click on this link and visit tabs( Home, Media, Tech) for more details thanks

Here⇝⇝ www.evening2.com
jacko3 7 months ago
Yeah .. I agree with others, another cool star leaves the scene ... didn't realize his mid-eighties .. time flies on by so fast .. part of some fantastic entertainment .. GOD Rest Lyle Waggoner!
Dale 7 months ago
Sad to see another wonderful star go. I always thought that he LOOKED more like the Bruce Wayne/Batman from the comics, but I guess Adam West was better for a campier Batman. R.I.P. Lyle
cperrynaples Dale 7 months ago
Notice no mask and a bad logo! Those things mattered!
George 7 months ago
I remember when he played Glenn "Griller" Boals in the Steve "Grampa" Kozara story. He nailed it. R.I.P. my friend
gracie200 7 months ago
R.I.P. handsome Lyle. my fave skit starring Lyle was the Interrogator with Tim Conway (can't go wrong there).
AgingDisgracefully 7 months ago
Didn't Carol boot him for becoming Centerfold Guy?
That always struck me as Church Lady before there was Church Lady.
No, she loved Lyle and I bet he was her "hall pass"...LOL! Lyle wanted to do Wonder Woman instead!
WyldWil 7 months ago
I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Waggoner. He was a Super Nice Guy and always had that “Trademark Waggoner Smile” while signing autograph pictures for his many fans :)
George WyldWil 7 months ago
I had the pleasure also. It was a few years ago. He was outside the dentist & waiting for new dentures. I'll never forget he said ,"home is where you make it" With out his teeth I thought he said,"I like to watch homos naked" I said that's cool man. We had a good laugh. RIP my friend.
cperrynaples George 7 months ago
Didn't most of you wonder whether Lyle was "that way"? After all, he did pose for Playgirl,,,,LOL!
George cperrynaples 7 months ago
Na, I just misunderstood him. My bad.
cperrynaples George 7 months ago
Are you sure you didn't meet George Takai..."YESSSS!"
denny George 7 months ago
Not true, that quote is from Joe Dirt.
HalPritzker WyldWil 7 months ago
Isn't it great, and gratifying, when a celebrity turns out to be a good person? I met Floyd Patterson, and he was as fine a human being as he always portrayed himself to be. Tom Lasorda, conversely, was a real a**hole.
George denny 7 months ago
Not sure who this dirt person is. I'm 82 & from the old generation. I'm sure this dirt guy must have heard me tell my story & may have used it as his own. Shame on u dirt.
Sandra 7 months ago
Rest in Peace Lyle you brought such laughter to so many people prayers for your family
Edward 7 months ago
My own "personal" ? Lyle would have made a better 'Batman.' Adam West was too 'girly man.'
cperrynaples Edward 7 months ago
Are you saying Bruce Wayne was GAY? Holy Out of the Closet!
HalPritzker cperrynaples 5 months ago
Rock Hudson, had he lived, could have been the Real "King of Queens."
KeisukeSeth 7 months ago
I work in nursing with geriatrics. This channel is always on. Now it'll also be on at my house because I introduced it to my parents who watch these shows all the time and did so as kids. Well, better than Steve Harvey and Big Bang Theory... Also, Lyle was awesome. RIP.
KeisukeSeth KeisukeSeth 7 months ago
Note: I don't care to watch TV myself but if I do, this is the only channel outside of NASA that I would watch. At least older shows had some content of substinence.
JoeSHill 7 months ago
Lyle Waggoner also guest starred on CBS's "LOST IN SPACE" in "Deadliest Of The Species" in 1967 as one of two enforcement androids programmed to retrieve a space capsule that contained an evil female robot-he played a real monotoned android along with Ralph Lee, and this was just before his appearance on "THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW". sure going to miss this guy!
George JoeSHill 7 months ago
There was a 3rd Android in original cir & it was played by non other than hall of famer Rod Carew. He converted.
MrsPhilHarris 7 months ago
Loved him on The Carol Brunett Show.