This forbidden Dick Van Dyke episode was filmed but never aired

"It was a story about behavior," but the premise was considered too risqué in the Sixties.

Read to Me

In the fifth season of The Dick Van Dyke Show, there’s an episode where the Petries confront that awkward parenting moment with Ritchie where they have to explain how human reproduction works.

It’s called "Go Tell the Birds and the Bees," and in it, we get to watch Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke squirm through this uncomfortable teaching moment.

What you may not have realized laughing through this episode is that The Dick Van Dyke Show wanted to go even further into awkward parenting territory with a similar episode concept that was filmed but ultimately forbidden to air because it was considered too risqué for Sixties audiences.

Van Dyke talked about the premise of this forbidden episode in a 1988 interview with The Sacramento Bee.

"We ran into a problem once on the old show with a story about our child having walked in and seeing us make love in the morning," Van Dyke said. "We didn’t show it or anything. It was a story about behavior. The kid is acting very strange, and we finally figured out that’s what must have happened."

Where in "Go Tell the Birds and the Bees," the issue Rob and Laura confront is overt, with Ritchie giving very misguided "lectures" on the birds and the bees to other kids at school and his parents needing to figure out where he got these wild ideas and how to best set him straight.

In the forbidden episode, how Ritchie felt about the birds and the bees would’ve manifested instead into physical behaviors his parents witnessed but didn’t understand. For a physical comedian like Dick Van Dyke, the hilarity of such a premise was clear, and he wished the episode had been allowed to air.

"It was a lovely little show, and we couldn’t put it on the air," Van Dyke bemoaned.

In the interview Van Dyke was promoting his short-lived 1988 series The Van Dyke Show, which was about a Broadway star who retired to live with his local theater-producing son in a small rural town.

At that moment, Van Dyke was a more mature actor, and the family dynamic he was portraying on the new show was definitely a much different look at how fathers and sons relate.

But by this point near the end of the Eighties, Van Dyke was seasoned enough to know audience tastes had proven mature enough, saying if it were written in the Eighties, no TV studio would’ve rejected the forbidden episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show. The TV legend regretted the lost opportunity for physical comedy on his break-through sitcom which was so famous for just that.

"Today it wouldn’t even get anybody’s attention," he sighed.

PC99 16 days ago
The filmed episode was from the 1970s series The New Dick Van Dyke Show (with Hope Lange as Dick's wife), not the classic 1960s series. There are no unreleased episodes from the 1960s show - even alluding to a child walking in on their parents having sex never would have even been considered in the 1960 show.
JimmyOrsino PC99 1 day ago
You're absolutely correct, either Dick had a memory lapse or the writer of the article didn't get his facts straight. All the shows of the 60's had network reps on the set, this show never would have made it to a table read let alone being filmed.
Nala92129 17 days ago
True, networks were ridiculously puritanical back then, but are today's sitcoms an improvement? We were subjected to sickening ads from the producers of "Mom," in which a daughter chastised her blowsy looking mother about "licking cocaine crumbs" out of a shag carpet. Hollywood doesn't realize that most American families don't share their values.
kiml715 Nala92129 17 days ago
I completely agree!
TheSentinel Nala92129 16 days ago
I don't even watch Mom, period (and never have) - that show is garbage.
Mac2Nite TheSentinel 15 days ago
Huh? As an aside, if you've never watched an episode of Mom, how do you know the series is garbage?
TheSentinel Mac2Nite 9 days ago
Watching the show's promos during commercial breaks on The Price Is Right was enough to convince me that Mom is a garbage show.
F5Twitster 19 days ago
The above fails to mention whether the withheld episode is included in the complete series set of DVD's (as was the one episode of "The Twlight Zone," "The Encounter," with George Takei and Neville Brand, that was aired only once, and never rerun or included in the syndication package, but is part of the DVD and Blu-ray sets). If not, then it can't be called "complete."
jholton30062 19 days ago
I'm sure it had a lot to do with the Television Code of the National Association of Broadcasters, the industry's alternative to stricter government control...
Bill 19 days ago
Not surprising! There was a strict morals code in Hollywood from 1933 to 1967. In 1951, when I Love Lucy debuted, MARRIED Lucy and Desi were required to sleep in separate beds separated by a night stand. In the early 60’s Ed Sullivan would not allow The Rolling Stones to sing “spend the night together.” They had to change it to “spend some time together.” Welcome to Puritan America!
glennh3365 19 days ago
There should be a collection of forbidden episodes to stream.
GeorgeReynolds 19 days ago
It could probably be shown on MeTV these days.... I doubt they showed Ritchie inside the actual bedroom while his parents were in bed. the scene probably shows him opening the door and his parents yelling in shock to leave the room. It can't be ANYTHING like the Simpsons Family Guy or Futurama!
Runeshaper 21 days ago
I can understand why they wouldn't air that episode in the 60s. The show was GREAT regardless!
Try to remember.... ANYTHING SEXUAL or that hinted towards tempation of sex was TABOO!!!! A Woman had to be FULLY dressed, wearing slacks, or nylons on her legs if she was wearing a skirt or dress! Her ENTIRE torso had to be covered, and even showing a small portion of her bely button would have gotten the show banned by the censors!
The mention of exposed belly buttons brings to mind the whole I Dream of Jennie controversy.
daDoctah 21 days ago
And yet they got away with the episode "The Lady and the Tiger and the Lawyer", which makes light of a guest character who abused his ex-wives.
MadMadMadWorld daDoctah 19 days ago
Those were the days (still do today, mostly) when hate could be showed more than love!
rayforhorror daDoctah 18 days ago
Actually, I'm surprised they allowed the episode about the nude painting Laura posed for in her past, even though the painting was never shown to the audience.
Pacificsun 22 days ago

The real hitch in these situations doesn't involve the "purity" of the networks (they've had everything imaginable pitched to them), the problem is the sponsorship who dictates what goes out to the viewers.
Moody Pacificsun 22 days ago
So true! The sponsors didn't want anything controversial to be associated with their product. They probably had more control over tv content in those days than the network censors did.
cperrynaples 22 days ago
Not the only time DVD got censored! An episode of NDVDS where Dick's daughter catches her parents having sex was dropped by CBS! By the way, this was in 1973, when their shows included All In The Family, Maude and M*A*S*H!
I thought it was aired, but just heavily censored.
That episode aired, I saw it. Nothing more than the daughter walking in with the parents under the covers, as I remember how it showed.
Read my comment!
Coldnorth cperrynaples 10 days ago
Married with children was one show that didn’t know what a censor was. Some sponsors dropped the show but they had enough for more seasons. I never knew how that got by sensors so long
Andybandit 22 days ago
Back in 50's, 60's, 70's, and when I was growing up in the late 70's and 80's parents did not like talk about sex to their kids.
Maverick66 Andybandit 22 days ago
Isn't that the truth! By the time my dad got around to trying to have "the talk" with me, I was so far into my teens & his discomfort was so palpable, I wanted to ask him, "What do you still need to know, dad?" I let him off the hook quickly and easily, though, and he ran out of my room faster than Usain Bolt ever could have.
Andybandit Maverick66 22 days ago
I know. I never had the sex talk. I learned it in health class in the 10th grade.
Moody Andybandit 22 days ago
I grew up in the 60s & 70s and my parents didn't have "the talk" with us either. But my wife & I did talk about sex with our 5 kids. Even though it was uncomfortable for all of us I think it was the right thing to do.
Andybandit Moody 22 days ago
Good for you about having the talk with your kids.
Michael Maverick66 21 days ago
In 1971-72 year, when I was in grade 6, someone came into talk about sex. And someone else came into talk about drugs.

Here, high school began in grade 7, so this was before that transition.
In The Dick Van Dyke Show episode, "Go Tell the Birds and the Bees" Dick (as Rob) says (and reaches for the famous book), "Where's Dr. Spock?" Referring to the famous baby doctor's instructions on how to raise children, in that era.
ncadams27 22 days ago
They weren’t even allowed to sleep in a single bed.
justjeff 22 days ago
I only wish they had included it as a "lost episode" bonus on my DVD set of the series...
Load previous comments
LoveMETV22 Pacificsun 20 days ago
Yeah I couldn't think of any other acronyms or whatever you wish to call them
Like FM= frequency modulation, AD- short for advertisement, etc... there may be others, I just can't think of any.
Pacificsun LoveMETV22 20 days ago
Just TV Shows:
TAGS
AITF
GG
CB
AH
TZ
HH
GA
Sven
ST ... (and the list goes on)
GP

(I guess my brain woke up this morning. They're all over the place now!).
LoveMETV22 Pacificsun 20 days ago
Well you can do that for any show/movie/network/ well anything for that matter. I was trying to think of acronyms that stood for other actual objects tangible or not. There must not be a lot.
WordsmithWorks 22 days ago
"'Today it wouldn’t even get anybody’s attention,' he sighed." So true.
Yes, sadly the age of subtlety is gone
Michael 22 days ago
But then he went onto make that classic fim, "Cold Turkey" in the lat e sixties. How could a film with Dick Van Dyke not be wholesome, I think my mother thought. So she took us. Even though it wasn't explicit, I'd never seen sex in a film before. But all those trips to the bedroom were pretty obvious. Overall, a bad film. The only reason I remember it was because I saw it.
Load previous comments
musicman37 cperrynaples 21 days ago
Yes! Funny film!!
Michael cperrynaples 21 days ago
I was 11 when it came out. So that skews things. I think I remember the tobacco aspect, a small town gives it up for X number if days, and if successful, they win a money prize.

I think I know that from reading about it in recent times. The part I remember most is the bed is made, and I guess Dick Van Dyke's character returns for more.
cperrynaples Michael 21 days ago
There's a great ironic ending: The town gets the money, but then a President who sounds like Nixon puts a military bomb factory there!
Mike Michael 21 days ago
Interesting that so many people recall the movie Cold Turkey, but nobody seems to remember who directed it:
TV writer making his first movie as a director - fella named Norman Lear. Whatever happened to him, I wonder ...