Did these character actors ever appear in Mayberry?

Try to keep the strangers out of Mayberry's city limits.

In the 1960s, as more and more TV shows were added to network lineups, we got to see a bunch of character actors blossom on the small screen in guest roles across some of the earliest hit shows.

Among these hits, of course, was The Andy Griffith Show, which required bunches of characters to populate the small town of Mayberry.

Think you can keep straight which character actors came from Mayberry, so you can keep out any strangers lurking Andy's hometown on our list?

Scroll through the scenes below, showing character actors we saw on TV in the 1960s, and asking you to point to the ones that were some of Mayberry's finest folks. Good luck!

Watch The Andy Griffith Show on MeTV!

Weeknights at 7 PM & 7:30 PM

1. In the Sixties, we saw HAL SMITH as an auctioneer on Dennis the Menace, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  2. In the Sixties, we saw BETTY LYNN as the wife of a dubious horse trader on Wagon Train, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  3. In the Sixties, we saw DABBS GREER take a bewildering punch on The Twilight Zone, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  4. In the Sixties, we saw JACK ELAM have it out for Little Joe on Bonanza, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  5. In the Sixties, we saw MAGGIE MANCUSO get begged to pose as Eb's wife on Green Acres, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  6. In the Sixties, we saw PAUL HARTMAN dish out ice cream on The Lucy Show, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  7. In the Sixties, we saw ANN B. DAVIS as a spurned wife by a countess on Wagon Train, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  8. In the Sixties, we saw HOWARD MORRIS transform into a genie on The Twilight Zone, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  9. In the Sixties, we saw CLORIS LEACHMAN play mother to a monster on The Twilight Zone, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  10. In the Sixties, we saw SAM ELLIOTT up for execution on Land of the Giants, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  11. In the Sixties, we saw BURT MUSTIN appear as a friend to Bub on My Three Sons, but did he ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  12. In the Sixties, we saw HOPE SUMMERS in the waiting room with a small dog on The Dick Van Dyke, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?
  13. In the Sixties, we saw VERONICA CARTWRIGHT as Violet Rutherford on Leave It to Beaver, but did she ever appear on The Andy Griffith Show?

Did these character actors ever appear in Mayberry?

sandman 5 months ago
12/13. Finally a score I can be proud of 😁
Rickey 13 months ago
You got 12 out of 13
You know your Mayberry characters! Even without Howard Morris screaming, "It's me, it's me, it's Ernest T.!"
EllisClevenger 14 months ago
You got 13 out of 13
Allison 18 months ago
13/13 wow, surprised myself
Chrissypoo 18 months ago
I thought for sure they'd throw in Jack Nicholson.
MrBill 19 months ago
13/13; Easy quiz - got them all correct. It should be noted that Howard Morris also played a TV repairman and an off screen radio announcer in addition to Ernest T. Bass on the Andy Griffith Show. Howard Morris also directed several episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. Surprised none of that was mentioned in the answer to question 8.
Andy 19 months ago
Actually, it'd be easier to list the shows Burt Mustin DIDN'T appear in! I'd swear he was in just about every show on every network up until his death.
Geronimo 19 months ago
Correctamundo Cunningham!
13/13
Brownthunder 19 months ago
12/13 missed #5 I didn't reconize Charlene
Joseph 19 months ago
12/13. Only now do I remember seeing Dabbs Greer in it.
daDoctah 19 months ago
Now we need a quiz about sixties TV actors who did or didn't appear on "77 Sunset Strip". All but two of the Gilligan's Island castaways (plus Charles Maxwell, the unseen announcer on their transistor radio) made appearances, and all but one of the Beverly Hillbillies (plus Raymond Bailey, Nancy Kulp and Bea Benaderet, but not Harriet MacGibbon).
anthony 19 months ago
12/13.I probably should have known it was her anyway,but I got tripped up on #5.Maggie Mancuso was always billed as Maggie Peterson except for the tv movie "Return to Mayberry" in 1986,where she was billed as Maggie Peterson-Mancuso.even in the "Green Acres" episode they mention.She married Gus Mancuso in 1968.Other then that good quiz.👍
Bret 19 months ago
You got 8 out of 13
Kinda blew that one. Oh, well.
Barry22 19 months ago
12/13, missed Dabbs Greer.
Barry22 19 months ago
This comment has been removed.
13/13. I've always liked that episode of TZ: "Valley of the Shadow."
teire 19 months ago
13/13. So many of these character actors played multiple characters on multiple shows and really disappeared into the roles. It's always fun to see them turn up somewhere and recognize them from where they are most familiar to you, be it Mayberry or Mayfield.
stephaniestavropoulos 19 months ago
13/13! I'm going to celebrate by having myself a banana split over at the Bluebird Diner, served up by Barney's unseen love, Juanita. The confection won't be made with mashed potatoes!
12/13 Missed 13! Fun Fact: Veronica's sister Angela technically made it to Mayberry in the Danny Thomas pilot!
When I saw the name, I wondered if they were related.