It takes a groovy brain to remember all this 1970s slang

Are you ready for a stone groove?

Hey there, all you foxy fans of the 1970s. Are you ready for a stone groove?

Here's the skinny. We've gathered some slang words from the super funky Seventies. All we want to know is if they mean something good or bad.

Good luck!

Watch The Brady Bunch on MeTV!

Sundays at 12 PM

1. If something is "far out" is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  2. If someone does you a "solid" is that a good thing or bad thing?
  3. If someone calls you a "jive turkey" is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  4. If someone calls you a "space cadet" is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  5. Is "Bogart" a good thing or a bad thing?
  6. If you have "bread" is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  7. If someone says "phooey" is it for a good thing or a bad thing?
  8. If something is "gravy" is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  9. If something is "bunk" is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  10. If something is "cool beans" is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  11. Is being a "brick house" a good thing or a bad thing?
  12. Would you "dig" a good thing or a bad thing?
  13. If someone gives you some "skin" is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  14. If something is "bogue" is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  15. Is being "copacetic" a good thing or a bad thing?
  16. Is being "outta sight" a good thing or a bad thing?
  17. Is being the "square biz" a good thing or a bad thing?

It takes a groovy brain to remember all this 1970s slang

Save with

YesterdayOnceMore 4 days ago
This “bunk” is short for “bunkum,” a simplified spelling of “Buncombe,” a county in North Carolina.
In 1820, Representative Felix Walker, whose district included Buncombe County (Ashville Metro area), rose on the floor of the US House of Representatives to address the debate of the day, the famous Missouri Compromise. As Walker began to speak, it became clear that what he was saying had nothing to do with the issue at hand and was, in fact, irrelevant nonsense. Also, he refused to stop. Challenged by his colleagues, Walker replied that his constituents expected him to “make a speech for Buncombe”, and started yammering again. As a result, “Buncombe,” later “bunkum” and simply “bunk,” became national shorthand for “nonsense.”
Igaveyoumyfakename 12 days ago
Square Biz is WRONG. In the world of slang "square" means uncool. So anything "square" in the world of slang is a bad thing. Furthermore, "square biz" is not a slang term. it's the title of a song by Tina Marie released in 1980. (Not the 70s.) So on top of being misused/misrepresented here, it doesn't even belong in this quiz of slang terms from the 70s.
JohnnyBravo1955 13 days ago
14 out of 17, did better than I thought.
Rusty 14 days ago
Keep on truckin groovy cats. Being born in the sixties finally pays off!
bigjimbroni 15 days ago
I got the last one wrong. I guess I still have the FUNK to know my slang.
HopeDuchaine 17 days ago
I got 15/17. I guess I forgot a couple.
MrBill 18 days ago
14/17; never heard of 6, 16, or 18.
RosemaryFoxx 18 days ago
They only time that I have ever heard Bogart used, when somebody would just keep the joint and not share it. Did it mean something else?
It was explained after you answered the question.
Rusty RosemaryFoxx 14 days ago
Doing something bogart is bogus. Everyone knows the rule.....puff-puff-pass!
Yvette 19 days ago
15/17 - Never heard of Square Biz. Did Teena Marie have a song of something?

Bogart I always thought was being cool 😎 after Humphrey Bogart.
bnichols23 24 days ago
"Oh, please, child...." Dept. Not just way too easy, but hokey to the max too. Gag me with a bong, man...
Ha ha! Reminds me of an Asian guy I met in college. Claimed to be expert on all
fine smokables. Street name was Bong Kai-shek!
Thomas 24 days ago
I ate cool pork and beans alot then but prefer them heated 50 years later. 4 wrong.
Lamongelo 24 days ago
Don't ask Greg Brady about "Far Out". Ask Paul McCartney. He coined the phrase.
bnichols23 Lamongelo 24 days ago
Not R. Crumb? :)
Lacey 24 days ago
16/17 though I have never head most of these "slang" terms.