Pick: Which classic TV show had the most satisfying series finale?

Do you prefer tears or a twist?

Spring is the season of rebirth, of new life. Well, in nature. On television, it's when everything traditionally ends. All shows have to come to an end sometime. (Except The Simpsons, it seems.) The only question is whether a series ends on its own terms… or unceremoniously comes to halt thanks to the network.

With some huge TV shows wrapping up their runs at the moment, series finales are once again a point of pop-culture discussion. And debate. So it begs the question: Which TV finale is your favorite?

Whether they tugged on our heartstrings or served up a twist, these finales stuck in our mind. We stuck to shows that ended in the 20th century.

Did we overlook your favorite? There were a lot of sleepers we didn't include. (China Beach!) Tell us in the comments.
  1. Pick your favorite TV series finale from the following memorable list:

Pick: Which classic TV show had the most satisfying series finale?

Delmo 2 months ago
I thought the Perry Mason finale was cool, having the behind the scenes crew appear in front of the camera for a change.
RedSamRackham 2 months ago
* Gilligan's Island should've ended like Newhart with Maynard G. Krebs waking up from a dream! * This list failed to include Hawaii 5-O finale when McGarrett finally captured the ever elusive Wo-Fat and booked him himself! ☺
GordARebelato 2 months ago
I am a big Seinfeld fan but I thought their finale show could have being a lot better. I would say it was one of the worst shows. It was too much crammed into an hour. I don't even bother watching it when it it is aired. They should have followed the same format that made the show popular, it should have being a show about nothing.
Russ 2 months ago
I see that most people voted like they felt everyone else would so they didn't feel excluded.
RickeyMulkey 2 months ago
70% similar to the most popular responses
djw1120 8 months ago
I picked "Star Trek: The Next Generation" just out of a personal preference, although I really liked the M*A*S*H finale too.
DIGGER1 8 months ago
Pick: Which classic TV show had the most satisfying series finale?
100% similar
100% similar to the most popular responses
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The final episode of "M.A.S.H." gets my vote every single time. It's a "WIN-WIN" scenario, you might say.
Runeshaper 9 months ago
Happy Days - Joanie and Chachi get married :)

EmBee 13 months ago
I did NOT vote for MASH even though it has always been in my wheelhouse and seems to be always on. My problem with it was that when it went up to 2 1/2 hours I felt they should have followed the characters home so we could see them reacclimate themselves to their real lives (Margaret I'm guessing would have stayed in the Army and been reassigned somewhere like Walter Reed or Lanstuhl). But I wanted to see Hawkeye's Dad, Mildred, Klinger's parents etc. So I found it a little disappointing.
So I went with Newhart even though I didn't watch it regularly I DID happen to see the finale and couldn't stop laughing.
theFAN2000 14 months ago
I picked Seinfeld because of the way it came full circle back to the beginning of the pilot episode. It was like saying "We want to leave before we end up repeating ourselves". Plus you can look at it as the whole "I could not get arrested" actor thing.
MarcSoules 14 months ago
Yeah, I went with Newhart because it stayed in line with a sitcom. It was a huge surprise. St. Elsewhere was similar. Mash was sooo long, and sappy.
GordARebelato MarcSoules 2 months ago
I agree. I do not know why these sitcoms that have being popular by following a certain format all of a sudden go away from that on their finale episode. I hate the sappy endings where everyone is hugging and crying.
JeffTanner 14 months ago
I saw the M*A*S*H Finale many, many times over the years, and it is my favorite of all. A lot of these I never saw. Or knew about even.
Lucyneenah19701 14 months ago
The Family Ties, Little House on the Prairie, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, and All in the Family finales were all sad. Sitcoms shouldn't have any episodes that are sad. They're supposed to be funny.
I've forgotten The Wonder Years finale.
The Leave it to Beaver finale was cute and sweet, like the whole series.
I wonder if the last episode of I Love Lucy is considered a finale. The episode with the Revolutionary War statue.
My favorite finale is Newhart! Really funny! I got 70%similar.
The I Love Lucy show did not have a finale as it went on for a few more years in an hour format.
TomTerrrific 14 months ago
Now that I think about it, the Monk finale was great, too.
FrankCollins 14 months ago
If there were more viewers who followed The Fugitive, that would have won easily. I followed it through reruns many years later, but it still had the same effect. It is by far the best. I thought the MTM ending was brilliant, and a vicious but true criticism of TV news and its viewers. I was very disappointed with both the MASH and STNG endings. But MASH never recovered from the loss of its original cast, including Colonel Blake and Trapper John, and got increasingly full of itself as it went on, especially the Hawkeye character.
MrsPhilHarris FrankCollins 14 months ago
I agree with you about MASH.
KenM 14 months ago
I would have to choose "Quantum Leap". I've never had a TV Show affect me the way that finale did. I thought about all of the implications of that ending for weeks.
MrsPhilHarris KenM 14 months ago
Hmmm...I don't remember it.
Amalthea KenM 9 months ago
"Quantum Leap" is my all-time favorite TV show, but those final words on the screen - misspelled at that - was a sucker punch right to the gut.
klewis167 14 months ago
I think I must be one of the only people to pick Little House on the Prairie! I watched that show from episode one through the Finale. Though I was torn between picking that and picking M*A*S*H.
MADnNOLA 14 months ago
When I started reading, I was looking for Mary Tyler Moore. But no such luck. Newhart was a classic ending.
Mark MADnNOLA 14 months ago
MTM is eighth from the bottom of the list between Magnum PI and MASH.
Greg 14 months ago
Newhart was definitely the most original ending ever. Seinfeld was the worst just an excuse for a clip show and not emotional or funny
GordARebelato Greg 2 months ago
I was disappointed that Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld took the easy way out by just doing a clip show, when they could have made a edgy finale episode that followed the sitcoms premise, a show about nothing.