Norman Lloyd, the oldest living television star in Hollywood, just celebrated his 106th birthday

Who else can claim to have worked with both Hitchcock and LeBron James?

Everett Collection

Read to Me

When Norman Lloyd was born in 1914, silent film star Harold Lloyd was just seeing his career take off. The two aren't related, but it does put things into perspective. Norman Lloyd is old enough to remember seeing Charlie Chaplin films. In theaters.

Television fans probably know Lloyd best from his work on St. Elsewhere, the Eighties medical drama that made Denzel Washington and Howie Mandel household names. As Dr. Daniel Auschlander, Lloyd was one of the elder statesmen on the series. In his early 70s at the time, he was a mentor to castmembers like Helen Hunt and Mark Harmon.

Lloyd would later star in an arc of the undercover crime series Wiseguy, feature in a short-lived 1992 sitcom called Home Fires, and around the turn of the millennium, land a recurring role as doctor on the sci-fi show Seven Days.

But let's rewind. Decades. On MeTV, you are most likely to encounter Lloyd while watching Alfred Hitchcock. The New Jersey native appeared in several episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents — and directed even more episodes of Presents and the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

He directed "Man from the South," one of the greatest hours in television history, the wicked tale penned by Roald Dahl starring Steve McQueen. No wonder — he was a close personal friend of Hitch, and served as a producer on Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Lloyd made his film debut with the Master of Suspense, too, in the 1942 Hitchcock film Saboteur. His most recent film is Trainwreck, the 2015 Amy Schumer comedy directed by Judd Apatow. He was 100 years old at the time. It's joyously mindboggling to consider that this man got his start on Vaudeville stages at the age of 9 and nearly a century later was in a movie with LeBron James and John Cena.

On November 8, 2020, Lloyd celebrated his 106th birthday. Here's to more!

Misha 16 days ago
And probably the only actor on Earth qualified to play James Bond as described by Ian Fleming in his novels.
CarolKelley 17 days ago
Happy belated Birthday, Mr Lloyd! My first exposure to Norman was probably when our parents let us watch The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Then there was Dr. Auschlander on St Elsewhere. Of course, I loved him in Suspicion and most recently Trainwreck.
CarolKelley CarolKelley 17 days ago
I mean Saboteur, of course.
Big3Fan 19 days ago
He was married to the same woman for 75 years! And his little girl Josie is 80 years old! What an amazing life and career. Happy Birthday, Mr. Lloyd!
texasluva 19 days ago
I remember seeing him in Saboteur (1942). A Nazi spy and Robert Cummings being chased as the one who set the fire and killed his partner. Movie ended with Loyd being on the Statue of Liberty and falling off and killed. Joyous ending to a very good movie. Probably saw it in the 70's. Then about 10 years ago I hear Norman Loyd is still living and even today. I was thinking ....Wow! He survived that fall at the end of the movie........... 106 and alive today. The odds of a woman living to 110 are 2 in 100,000. Men it is 2 in a million. If you reach age 65 odds for women to reach 100 are 5.9% and men 3%.
MrsPhilHarris texasluva 19 days ago
Saboteur is a great movie. You should do that movie for your next quiz. 😜
texasluva MrsPhilHarris 19 days ago
Yep so you can guess it in a flash. Actually I have looked high and mighty for that movie. I did have it at one time on my DVR but when I changed from Frontier to Spectrum there went my DVR movies. In the mean time I have like 150 on the DVR and at Internet Archive I have like 300. Though movies on my DVR I can not post here there is no URL. Many though are on IA which I can post.
MrsPhilHarris texasluva 18 days ago
I'll have my fingers poised Saturday night so I can guess Saboteur!
texasluva MrsPhilHarris 18 days ago
🤔➡️🚫⬅️......No Saboteur for you 😁
Goodoldaze67 20 days ago
AAAND - if I remember correctly, his daughter is the lovely Josie Lloyd, who played my absolute favorite socially awkward character on TAGS...Lydia Crosswaithe!!!
According to Lydia pretzels lay on her chest. 😁
justjeff 20 days ago
An amazing man, an amazing life... here's to many more happy, healthy years, Norman!
cperrynaples 20 days ago
Actually, "Man From The South" is one of the greatest HALF-HOURS in history! And don't forget Peter Lorre and the surprise his wife has at the end!