R.I.P. Billie Hayes, the wicked witch known as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf

The Broadway veteran was 96 years old.

The Everett Collection

Read to Me

Sid and Marty Krofft sure had active imaginations. In a span of a few years, the brothers created some of the surreal children's programming in television history. It began with The Banana Splits for Hanna-Barbera in 1968, but the two stepped out on their own a year later with H.R. Pufnstuf. The similarly minded series The BugaloosLidsvilleSigmund and the Sea Monsters, and Land of the Lost followed.

But H.R. Pufnstuf set the mold, with its youthful protagonist, floppy costumed creatures, and psychedelic fantasy. Jimmy (Jack Wild) was the hero, aided by the titular star H.R. Pufnstuf, a bulbous dragon. But every story needs a villain. Enter Wilhelmina W. Witchiepoo.

With her iconic cackle, Witchiepoo is undoubtedly implanted in the memory of any kid who grew up in the era. Billie Hayes, a Broadway veteran, portrayed the witch. She became such an icon (in a shockingly short amount of time — Pufnstuf only aired for 17 episode) that Hayes essentially played iterations of the same character on other shows. See the Bewitched episode "Hansel and Gretel in Samantha-Land," for example. She was also Weenie the Genie in Lidsville.

Those of an older generation might remember her better as Mammy Yokum, the scrappy matriarch of Li'l Abner. Hayes played the character, which was born in the popular newspaper comic strips, both on stage and in the 1959 film. Here she is in character.

The Everett Collection

Born and raised in Illinois, Hayes continued to work in children's television for decades, into her 90s, as recently as 2016, when she voiced a character on Transformers: Rescue Bots. On April 29, she died of natural causes, according to The Hollywood Reporter. She was 96.

Sid and Marty Krofft — still working in television to this day — honored her on Twitter with this touching tweet.

Michael 11 days ago
I always liked Witch Hazel better, but she was only in the movie.

But I must admit, Witchiepoo's makeup certainly made her unattractive. Billie Hayes looks nothing like her.
stephaniestavr5 Michael 11 days ago
Which Witch Hazel are you talking about? The only Witch Hazel I know about is the WH from Warner Brothers, that was voiced by June Foray.
I think he means Witch Hazel from the movie Pufnstuf. Played by Cass Elliot.
Case Elliott wasn’t she with the Mama and the Papas
Yes, "Pufnstuf", the movie. Martha Raye plays Boss Witch, I recall a witch convention. Cass Elliott later had a special "Don't Call Me Mama Anymore".

She sings a song in the film that always seemed like a variation on "Make Your Own Kind of Music"
She also acted in this movie.
I misread your response earlier. Yes, Cass Elliot was part of The Mamas and The Papas.
Rick 13 days ago
Great talent. She also brought Witchie-poo to Paul Lynde's famous Halloween special.
denny 13 days ago
As a 4 or 5 year old, Lidsville was scary. Just realized recently that Butch Patrick played the kid, and of course Charles Nelson Reilly and Billie Hayes as the witch. I do remember the Hansel and Gretal Bewitched, but now am going to have to view it again to see Billie.

RIP Billie
stephaniestavr5 denny 12 days ago
Billie Hayes was Witchie Poo on H. R. Pufnstuf. She was Weenie the Genie, and Charles Nelson Reilley was Hoo Doo the magician on Lidsville.
denny stephaniestavr5 11 days ago
I just went and watched an episode on YouTube. Maybe this explains my hatred of top hats:)
stephaniestavr5 denny 11 days ago
Which episode did you watch, that explains your dislike of top hats? You didn't mention any one specific.
denny stephaniestavr5 10 days ago
You know they have that big top hat that he falls in. The episode I watched was the one with the beanstalk.
Corey 13 days ago
RIP Billie you made my Saturdays with HR Pufnstuf. Billie Hayes much like Margaret Hamilton was a children's advocate.
VaughnBaskin 13 days ago
I Think MeTV should bring both H.R. Pufnstuf and Lidsville to their Summer Of Me lineup soon, for Billie.
kb7rky 13 days ago
This saddens me to no end.

Good night, funny lady, and rest well.
Barry22 13 days ago
RIP. She will be buried alongside Freddy the Flute.
sputnik_57 14 days ago
I remember Witchiepoo and Puffin'Stuff. I always connect the Banana Splits with this show for some reason. Billy Hayes reminded me of the guy who wrote "Midnight Express" which became a movie. requiescat in pace.
VaughnBaskin sputnik_57 13 days ago
That's Pufnstuf Sputnik not Puffin'Stuff!
A woman reminded you of a man who wrote a movie? Where's the resemblance? One has indoor, the other has outdoor plumbing. Oh, and by the way Sputnik_57, she spelled her first name Billie, not Billy.
Well, ex-cuse me! Maybe I should have just said "ding-dong the wicked witch is dead" and left it at that!
MrsPhilHarris 14 days ago
Was it Witchiepoo that sang “Oranges smoranges! Who said? Oranges smoranges! Who said? Orange smoranges! Who said there ain’t no rhyme for oranges?”. Which for some weird reason got stuck in my head last week.
Load previous comments
lynngdance texasluva 11 days ago
I’ll be there! Can’t make any promises of how good the drawing will be though Lol 😆.
texasluva lynngdance 11 days ago
If you wish to do Oceans Eleven instead you can. Both are bonus movies.
vinman63 texasluva 8 days ago
Sad ending to Carmen Miranda her last appearance was on the Jimmy Durante where she may have had an minor heart attack. Later that night she died.
texasluva vinman63 8 days ago
I saw last week she had died in 1955 and thought "She was not that old". I did not follow up and see why until you just explained. Things happen so suddenly and we lose someone special. Carmen did many things to make others enjoy what there is of life. Also note that one of our quiz guessers drew a pic of her with only a few hours notice (lynngdance). We have a movie quiz for the past year most Friday nights. Everyone is welcomed whether they guess or not. The movies are free at a location open to anyone. The best Movie Classics of all time along with others I am able to locate. You can search my name for more info.
Peter_Falk_Fan 14 days ago
Does anyone remember her guest starring on Bewitched? She plays the witch on the episode "Hansel and Gretel in Samanthaland" She had one of, if not the best witch's laugh ever, IMHO. RIP Billie Hayes.
Do you, does anyone, remember her guesting along with Margaret Hamilton on Paul Lynde's memorable, {to quote ALF: "HA!"} Halloween special? They were on along w/Florence Henderson and KISS.
No, I'm sorry I missed that. Since it was on Friday night, I was probably at the football game. But I do see that it's on YouTube. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
The Paul Lynde Halloween Special was considered lost for many years; it was rediscovered, remastered, and is now on DVD.
denny musicman37 13 days ago
It was on Amazon Prime video as well.
Mike 14 days ago
Am I the only one who remembers when Billie Hayes when she was on General Hospital?
This was back in the early '80s, when the Cassidines showed up to make trouble for Port Charles.
GH introduced Robert Scorpio, then of the World Security Bureau, who came in to save everybody's bacon - and stayed around for years afterward, but that's another story ...
Scorpio answered to a sweet-looking little old lady named O'Riley, who was tougher than most of the male leads on the show.
That was Billie Hayes, wearing the least amount of makeup in her whole career - looking pretty much like her real self, and stealing the show from Tristan Rogers every time.
The General Hospital producers made one of their biggest mistakes when they killed off Agent O'Riley, way too soon (a year or so later, they brought back Billie Hayes for a flashback, but the damage was done...)

Anyway, if you check out GH clips from the '80s on YouTube, you might get a glimpse of what Billie Hayes really looked like - and if you do, be prepared for a surprise ...
MrsPhilHarris Mike 14 days ago
I know someone that used to watch GH back then. I bet she remembers.
KMT6600 14 days ago
I remember all the shows grew up with them all
stephaniestavr5 14 days ago
R.I.P. Billie Hayes from a fellow Illinoisan!
Witchie Poo boarded her vroom broom for her castle on Living Island to continue to torment, tease and terrify her hench spider and rat Seymore and Orson.
The folks in Lidsville are having a welcoming party for Weenie Genie, Party Hat being the hostess with the mostess, is throwing this shindig. They were all flipping their lids to welcome her!
Welcoming her, Witchie Poo and Billie, to heaven I mean.
Jeremy 14 days ago
The moment I saw Witchiepoo's photo on this website, I said, "Don't tell me she's dead!"
stephaniestavr5 Jeremy 14 days ago