R.I.P. Bob Saget, the comedic centerpiece of Full House

The stand-up comic and America's Funniest Home Videos host was 65.

The Everett Collection

Full House is joining MeTV Sundays at 2P | 1C, adding this family favorite to our lineup of classic TV. In honor of Bob Saget and in celebration of his career, we'll be kicking off the addition with a tribute to one of America's TV dads. It all starts on Sunday, January 16 at 2P | 1C.

The Morning Show was such a debacle it is now forgotten. CBS launched the breakfast program in the winter of 1987, almost 35 years ago to this very day. It was a bold blend of news and comedy, a formula that is now routine. The show crashed and burned in the ratings but one career rose from the ashes — Bob Saget.

Saget was a film-school graduate from Temple University, in his hometown of Philadelphia. He made art films in college. He was always smarter than he played. And darker. In 1981, he made his television debut on Bosom Buddies, playing, fittingly, "Bob the Comic." It's the one where Tom Hanks and Peter Scoleri bus tables in a nightclub, "The Show Must Go On." Two years later, Saget popped up on The Greatest American Hero, but his screen career ran rather dry until 1987.

Full House cast Saget as widowed father Danny Tanner shortly after The Morning Show. ABC slotted the sitcom on Friday night, where it would become a centerpiece of the seminal TGIF lineup, a staple of Gen-X and Millennial youth viewing. The San Francisco-set family comedy was not an immediate hit. In its first season, Full House ranked just 71st amidst network shows. But it's cute catchphrases, coupled with the good looks of John Stamos and the simmering edge of Saget, launched the show into the Top 25 by season three.

And as Full House was entering its third season, Saget broadened his fame, landing a gig hosting America's Funniest Home Videos, which was essentially YouTube, two decades before YouTube.

Just as Saget was becoming the face of family television, he countered his reputation with adult comedy, directing his pals Norm MacDonald and Artie Lange in the cult movie Dirty Work. His 2014 comedy album That's What I'm Talkin' About, earned a Grammy Nomination.

According to TMZ, Saget passed away on Sunday, January 9, in Orlando. He was 65.

Watch Full House on MeTV!

Two full hours

Sundays at 2 PM

UTZAAKE 7 days ago
Can't believe that almost everyone forgot that Bob Saget provided the narrative voice of the fatherly Ted Mosby on How I Met Your Mother. More times than not, he opened the episodes by saying "Kids,..." because he was telling the stories to his teenage son and daughter. Left the realm of the living much too soon.
LalaLucy 8 days ago
Grew up in the Full House era but not my favorite. I was a "weird" kid, always into stuff from previous generations much more than my own. Something about the writing and acting in most 80's and 90's shows...but, that said, this was quite a jolt and praying all the best to those dealing with the loss.
geatornez82 LalaLucy 7 days ago
I'm the same, but I did enjoy "Full House."
cabugi 8 days ago
OMGOSH … had not heard this. Zero media coverage. Wasn’t a huge fan but always sad to hear of any death, especially an early death … so young (as I am not far behind).
MrsPhilHarris 9 days ago
Wasn’t a fan of Full House but did watch AFHV.
teire 10 days ago
This one makes me sad because my daughter was little when Full House had its prime time run, Danny Tanner was her first contemporary experience of a TV dad. Thank you Bob Saget.
Zip teire 9 days ago
Yeah, my daughter watched this as well when she was little.
While I didn't really care for Full House all that much, I did think that Bob Saget was the best host of America's Funniest Home Videos. I really enjoyed him on that.
Runeshaper 10 days ago
R.I.P. Bob Saget. I remember watching him on Full House after school. My family would all gather in the living room together to watch America's Funniest Home Videos. Saget was excellent and will be missed.
stephaniestavr5 10 days ago
Here's an easy question:
Which show of Bob Saget's is still on tv?
America's Funniest Home Videos... later hosted by Dave Coulier, John Fugelsang and Daisy Fuentes, Tom Bergeron and Alfonso Ribeiro...
MrsPhilHarris justjeff 9 days ago
It’s still on?
justjeff MrsPhilHarris 9 days ago
...and on...and on...and on................................................................................
LoveMETV22 10 days ago
RIP Bob Saget. Enjoyed him on Full House and AFHV.
He seemed to be enjoying the work he was doing on his tour.
Condolences to his wife, children and longtime friend John Stamos.
Kenner 10 days ago
R.I.P. Bob. We need uncle Jessie to do an Elvis impression and cheer us all up.
stephaniestavr5 Kenner 10 days ago
No we don't!
Peter_Falk_Fan 10 days ago
I was sad to hear about Bob Saget's death. I enjoyed watching him on "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "1 vs. 100". I remember the time he was on "Bosom Buddies".

R.I.P. Bob Saget.
McGillahooala 10 days ago
Wow. First Norm and now Bob Saget. This has been a rough few months for comedy. R.I.P. Bob.
stephaniestavr5 Kenner 10 days ago
I think this person might be referring to Norm MacDonald, who passed away in September of last year. At first I thought they meant George Wendt, who played Norm on Cheers, but Googled and found out he is still living.
Kenner stephaniestavr5 10 days ago
Yeah Norm MacDonald. It’s amazing George Wendt is still alive. I saw a pic of him lately. As the Brits say “Egad”
stephaniestavr5 Kenner 10 days ago
Or something else that's a bit stronger the Brits say: "Blimey!" He's the same age that Dwayne Hickman was, when he passed away. I will have to try and remember to watch Dobie Gillis tomorrow morning, as a sort of remembrance to him. Had I known about his passing yesterday, I would've watched it this morning.
LoveMETV22 Kenner 10 days ago
I like George Wendt. It appears that up to a few years ago he was active in tv and film.
On George Wendt: "He's the same age that Dwayne Hickman was, when he passed away." I'm confused. George Wendt was born in 1948. Dwayne was born in 1934. And, Norm MacDonald was born in 1959.