R.I.P. Lee Aaker, child star who played Rusty in 'The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin'

He later became a carpenter. He was 77.

The Everett Collection

Read to Me

In World War I, an American soldier named Lee Duncan rescued a German Shepherd from a battlefield. He named the dog "Rinty" and brought the pooch back to the States. "Rin Tin Tin" found work in movies and became an overnight canine star.

By the 1950s, Duncan and Hollywood were on Rin-Tin-Tin IV. The dog got his own television series in 1954, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin. There was one little problem — Rin Tin Tin IV was not a great "actor." A well-trained performer named Flame Jr. played Rin Tin Tin. In this series, the dog was living at Fort Apache a US Cavalry post.

Any loyal dog needs a human companion, and that's where Lee Aaker came in. The young star portrayed Rusty, an orphan raised by soldiers and living in the military fort.

Aaker was 11-years-old when the series kicked off. He appeared in all 164 episodes across five seasons of Rin Tin Tin, making him one of television's first adolescent superstars.

He was no newcomer, either. In 1952, he appeared in The Atomic City, a nuclear-bomb thriller. In the 1953 noir Jeopardy, he played the son of Barbara Stanwyck. He had 10 films to his name by the time he was 10.

Following the end of Rin Tin Tin in 1959, Aaker, like most child stars, struggled to break out of his stereotype. He appeared in two episodes of The Donna Reed Show. You might remember him as a stuttering classmate who acts in a school play with Mary (Shelley Fabares) in "That's Show Business."

His final role came on The Lucy Show and it was a bit of a callback to his most famous role of Rusty — he played a cadet at a military academy in "Lucy and the Military Academy."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Aaker transitioned away from acting to become a carpenter. On April 1, he died at the age of 77.

Deleted 5 months ago
This comment has been removed.
harlow1313 5 months ago
Thanks, columbo-scat! Like you, I have come to doubt his expertise on quakes.

And more importantly, I agree with you, medical experts, and Dr. Fauci. KEEP WEARING THE MASKS!
MarkusAurilius 6 months ago
Wasn’t he in Hondo? Thrown in the lake by John Wayne?
Foub1983 6 months ago
I am making $89/hour telecommuting. I never imagined that it was honest to goodness yet my closest companion is acquiring $10 thousand a month by working on the web, that was truly shocking for me, she prescribed me to attempt it. simply give it a shot on the accompanying site Copy and paste Link ----->> wwwcash03..com
BUZHODGES 6 months ago
LEE ALSO STARED WITH JOHN WAYNE IN HONDO!
cosmos 6 months ago
Another nail in the coffin of the 1950’s.
Child stars like Mr Aaker were TV siblings to the millions of child viewers who were just beginning to experience life. They were role models to the developing “nuclear”families who had no life experiences .
TV was not only a friend but family.
So God Bless the Children who helped pave the way into a New Age...
Take care Lee Aaker, thanks for paving the way , and making life just a little more special...
tweezer 6 months ago
I Remember the show to, loved it. I sure would like to see the show again. Please find a good spot for this show on your schedule. God knows, you need some new blood. Thanks
Tweezer.
Honeychan 6 months ago
RIP Mr. Aaker. May his memory be a blessing.
RaymondMMackie 6 months ago
In 2021 Bringing in cash online more than $35k just by accomplishing straightforward work from home. I have gotten $38376 a month ago. Its a simple and basic task to take care of and its income are obviously superior to customary office work and surprisingly a young kid can do this and brings in cash. Everyone should attempt this work by utilize the information on this page........__W­­o­­r­­k­­s­­7­­9­­.C­­o­­m
JERRY6 RaymondMMackie 6 months ago
good for you i made 60k in 5 days bought recaf at 1.29 sold at 6.30 easy any one can do it even a 10 year old
trdjm65 6 months ago
remember the show would like to see again
Conniewolf 6 months ago
At the age of 5 , I remember waking up after having my tonsils out, and that show was just ending. Loved that show. May he RIP, he brought a smile to many children’s faces at that time.
StrayCat 6 months ago
I remember watching Rin Tin Tin as a child. Interestingly, it's difficult to find out anything about the character of Lt Rip Masters played by the actor James Brown because searches generally turn up only the singer. Brown had small a role in Sands of Iwo JIma with John Wayne and he had a small role in Going my Way with Bing Crosby which is about all i could find.
FMAMACAT 6 months ago
R.I.P Lee Aaker. I use ti watch repeats of this show, It was a good show. I loved Rin Tin Tin.
MrsPhilHarris 6 months ago
I can remember either seeing this show or maybe a movie. I loved it. Wanted a German Shepherd.
Big3Fan 6 months ago
Rin Tin Tin, Sky King, Spin and Marty, etc. Great time to be a kid. RIP, Cpl. Rusty.
MadMadMadWorld Big3Fan 6 months ago
I never got into "Rin Tin Tin" or Disney's "Spin and Marty." But I really enjoyed "Sky King" with the airplane as a substitute for the Western 'horse'.
Big3Fan MadMadMadWorld 6 months ago
I have the whole series on DVD complete with the Nabisco ads. I remember having a big crush on Penny. "From out of the clear blue of the Western sky comes Sky King!"
ericdumptee89 Big3Fan 6 months ago
so true,great memories
JuliaWilliams 6 months ago
I grew up watching 'Rin-Tin-Tin (although I am a chihuahua lover--RIP, Penne), and had the pleasure of meeting Lee Aaker in New York City a few years ago.
sierra127 6 months ago
The last time I saw him was on the Donna reed show he and Mary had Too dance together. At the school. He was smaller than Mary. So he bought shoes with double the size souls so he was taller but dancing just didn’t work That first evening.
I really enjoy him. With me he would stick out over a crowd. And would of enjoy him. If he would of been in more show or movies. Another one passes away. Because of more TV producers thinking they know best
Moody 6 months ago
Rin Tin Tin was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. He & Roy Rogers' dog Bullet were the reason I loved German Shepherds. I never had one as a kid but my wife & I had 3 of them over the years. They were all great dogs & very loyal to our family.
Tlor 6 months ago
Everything we knew and loved and honored has been ripped, torn down or mocked. Its not a beautiful world where kids could enjoy their childhood, they know more at 4 years old than I did at 19!!
DanielZabo Tlor 6 months ago
Yes that is so true. Sad but very true. They have no respect for where we as a society came from. And it’s not that mean systemic racist country these race baiters have made it out to be,. America the beautiful.
TheresaPerry DanielZabo 6 months ago
I remember watching the commercial about going to see the "Mermaids at Wekii-Wachi, in Florida, back in the late 1950s, and asking my mom could we go? She told me we couldn't because "We're Negroes and we're not allowed to go there". That was the first time I had ever heard my family couldn't go to a place just because of what we looked like. "America the Beautiful".....not for everyone.
JERRY6 TheresaPerry 6 months ago
yeah and i remember going to a hotel and beaches in the 50's no dogs and jews allowed posted , get over it and move on . there will always be people looking for a reason to hate someone , screw them .
DanielZabo TheresaPerry 6 months ago
..but it’s so not 1950’s America anymore! I too can tell you about how my White grandmother was told NO IRISH CATHOLICS NEED APPLY!
CelticTwilight Tlor 6 months ago
Oh poor little white racist is upset that uppity minorities don't know their place anymore.
CelticTwilight DanielZabo 6 months ago
Crawl back into your Qanon hole and cry about your dear orange leader not being able to steal the election.
harlow1313 6 months ago
Sometimes, it seems the world I once knew melts away, slow and steady, like a glacier.
DanielZabo 6 months ago
R.I.P. Lee Aaker.
JERRY6 DanielZabo 6 months ago
strange career choice after leaving acting , at least he did what he wanted , hard to find good carpenters RIP Lee Aaker