The two actors who played Henry Blake of M*A*S*H eerily died within hours of each other

Both men had heart attacks. And it affected how the families broke the news.

The Everett Collection

Read to Me

M*A*S*H was both a brilliant and acclaimed movie and television series. That's rare. The beauty of having the 4077th portrayed on both the big screen and small screen is that viewers can see different takes on their favorite characters. Well, not Radar. Gary Burghoff played Radar in the film and in the show.

Take Col. Henry Blake, for example. McLean Stevenson is best known for the role on TV, but Roger Bowen originate the role in the Robert Altman flick. There are some similarities — both like to fish and are somewhat bumbling — but some key differences. One survives the Korean War, we are to understand. That movie iteration also happens to wear glasses and act a little more lascivious around the nurses. Stevenson's version talked a lot more about his wife. And, famously, he died at the end of season three after his plane is shot down over the Sea of Japan.

For Bowen, playing Blake was arguably his biggest role. Later, he had a recurring role on The Brian Keith Show (1973–74) and, in the Eighties, coincidentally appeared on House Calls, a medical sitcom starring Wayne Rogers of M*A*S*H.

When Bowen died on 1996, his obituary explained that the man "always considered himself a writer who only moonlighted as an actor." He wrote 11 novels.

On February 24, 1996, The Los Angeles Times reported, "Bowen… died of a heart attack Feb. 16 while vacationing in Florida. He died a week after the heart attack death of McLean Stevenson."

The paper was understandably a bit confused. They merely had to check their old issues from the prior week to remember that Stevenson passed away on February 15.

"Mr. Stevenson died Thursday [February 15] in a Los Angeles area hospital of a heart attack," his obit read.

Eerily, Stevenson and Bowen passed away from heart attacks, hours from each other, on opposite ends of the country.

The death of Stevenson led the Bowen family to not immediately announce the death of their beloved Roger. The Bowens sat on the news and held back making it public for a week, to not cause confusion in the media. They feared that readers would mistake the two actors for one another.

On another odd note, the newspapers at the time stated that Stevenson had been 66 years old upon his death. He was, according to today's records, 68.

There are other interesting parallels between the two. In the spring of 1983, both men starred in new sitcoms that aired at 8:30 p.m. on ABC. Stevenson headlined the doomed Condo on Thursdays, while Bowen was the lead in At Ease on Fridays, a sort of Sgt. Bilko knock-off.

Both sitcoms were canceled in June of 1983. They aired their final episodes one day apart from each other.

Watch M*A*S*H on MeTV!

One Full Hour

Weeknights at 7 PM
Sundays 7 PM

KirwoodDerby 3 days ago
I just love crazy coincidences like this. I put it in the same file as conspiracies and doppelgängers.
Dennisjs 3 days ago
My cat and my mother in law died on the same day. (Darn it, I really miss that cat!)
JHP 3 days ago
by far THEE saddest ep ever on TV

"Abyssinia Henry"

what is so spooky is that was one of his lines in Private Charles Lamb

stephaniestavr5 JHP 3 days ago
Good name for a breed of cat!
ELEANOR 4 days ago
He got married (for the third time) and had a child late in life, and he had a James Thurber-type approach to typical problems that most people face. He did not have to stretch very far to do Henry Blake.
If you are talking about McClean Stevenson, did you know he came from a political background?
He was born in Normal, IL. HIs first name, (he pulled a Paul McCartney and went by his middle name. His real first name was Edgar.) He was the great grandson of William Stevenson, (who was the brother of the Vice President Adelai Stevenson.) McClean was also the 2nd cousin twice removed of Adelai Stevenson, (I think his father was the Veep.) who twice himself ran for President.
So, as you've no doubt noticed on the show, he literally had his real life background as part of Henry's. McClean was (as I've said,) from IL. and he did go to University Of IL. He had a mug and sweatshirt form those "hallowed halls."
CORRECTION: "From."
McLean Stevenson (better catch it while you can, before Wiseguy comes sneaking around (wink).
Wilbur88 4 days ago
Trapper John and Father Mulcahey both died on News Year Eve a year apart.
Aka: Wayne Rogers and William Christopher, respectfully.
Pacificsun 5 days ago
That's kind of stretching the (meaningful?) similarity stuff. But that's okay, it got me to read the story. Dates are dates, and there are 365 of them every year. To hold back on a public announcement, that was the family's choice. As if they didn't think the public (or media) could distinguish a movie role from a television role. Oh well. And networks were always scheduling (or cancelling) new shows, usually at the beginning or end of the traditional season, as they also quite frequently followed trends (or preferences) in programming. Sometimes years it was a big season for sitcoms, and others for dramas. So cast are the opportunities for actors!! And more than often than just one network has been known to steal a story idea from the competition. Hardly true coincidences.

It's sad that both talented men are gone, with gratitude to the enjoyment they provided their audiences. But let's give each one the individual respect and acknowledgment they're due.
Michael Pacificsun 4 days ago
Paul Kantner and Signe Anderson died on the same day, Jan 28, 2016, both aged 74.

The announcement of her death came at least a week later than Paul's.

They were both founding members of Jefferson Airplane, she left after about a year (and one album), replaced by Grace Slick.

I think it was even said that family waited. She would have been a footnote to Paul's death otherwise.
Pacificsun Michael 4 days ago
Well that's more of a real coincidence, and I can understand the family's hesitation.
366 days, if the year is a Leap one!
Turning to American History: 2 of our Commander In Chiefs also died on the same day.
Jefferson & John Adams died on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence!
Andybandit 5 days ago
This is weird how the two actors passed away close to each other. I never saw the Mash Movie.
I highly recommend you do so. Not that it's necessary to follow the tv version, but if you have any questions, or are curious about something with the show, seeing the movie should answer them. I have and I had # of "ah-ha" moments. Like if Hawkeye, (for example,) will say/do something in the the show and I would wonder why? Or was what I'd heard him say/do only in the movie/show.? If the same thing happened in the film, the answer comes to light. What really puts the entire M*A*S*H show/movie into perspective, and gives more of a back story, is reading the novel. Have you done so? I have and it's something else I recommend. It's interesting to see what was left out, embellished, included in its entirety, left out all together, or can only be seen in tv show. This opinion goes for any movie turned tv show/vice versa.
A very good point. Sometimes( but not always) the book is better (opinion) than the movie or show.
LoveMETV22 LoveMETV22 3 days ago
PS and vice-versa.
Your comment suggests to me an idea for another quiz. Or maybe they've already run it. Simple. Which came first the TV series or the movie? Wish I had time to construct it. But maybe I'll just send in the idea. Unless you can remember having seen this question as a quiz.
Many critics have called the movie mean-spirited and I tend to agree. Many TV M*A*S*H fans might not like the movie except for those "I like everything M*A*S*H no matter how bad it got" kind of fan. I don't believe I've ever seen the entire movie and don't really care to (I've seen the entire TV series). By the way, there are no asterisks in the movie title even though they were seen on movie posters.
Sorry to "burst your bubble" Pacificsun, but I thought when I read your question, it sounded familiar. I checked the METV Archives and discovered on 8/20/2018, that the METV Staff had downloaded a quiz with this ? The photo they used, a chick standing next to a broken/just hatched from, egg. But seeing as it's been 3 years (I'm assuming, because I couldn't locate a more recent quiz,) since the last one, doesn't mean another one couldn't be created. In fact, I think I've run across (in the not too distant past,) quizzes whose topics I had assumed, have been done before. (Only I didn't check the Archives to make sure.) With all the quizzes METV Staffers create, I'm sure it's hard for them to keep track about what topics/types of quizzes they have done, or not done. That's why I think having fans do the quizzes, brings a fresh perspective/topics, because they don't work on the Staff, and aren't pressured into having to come up with new ones all the time. Also, (leastways that's how I feel,) the fan based questions have a different "feel" about them. I can't quite explain what that "feel" is, but it's (to me,) there.
It's pretty hard to burst my bubbles. You'd have to be stamping on them for a very long time! And would probably just get tired, first.

Okay, here's the link to the one you found. Maybe new people would want to play.

There's another one tied to the year of the TV or Movie. I don't know why that matters, but maybe they were running out of ideas, and said, here let's give it a twist!

The last quiz idea, which I'm just posting now would be fun this way. The main actor starred in Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Which Movie is he most famous for (action/adventure genre)?

Wish I had the time to put a whole quiz together like that. But maybe there's another fan out there who'd like to get credit for a "Fan Made Quiz." Go for it!
daDoctah 5 days ago
Another difference between the two portrayals was the Bowen's Blake had a tendency to stutter when caught off-guard. This trait came straight from Heller's novel.
Pigmeat daDoctah 3 days ago
Joseph Heller wrote Catch-22. Richard Hooker wrote M*A*S*H.
Wiseguy Pigmeat 2 days ago
The actual title was "MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors." No asterisks, although the sequel novels printed after the series premiered featured asterisks.
Pigmeat Wiseguy 1 day ago
I stand corrected. However it’s been about 40 years since I read it, so just remembering his pseudonym is an accomplishment for me.
Pacificsun Pigmeat 1 day ago
Good job! Now, can you find your car keys!!!
Barry22 5 days ago
Bowen also played the boss on 'Arnie'.
Load previous comments
Yes, the show with Herschel Bernardi and Sue Ane Langdon. And as I remember, it was a funny show.
Wiseguy cperrynaples 2 days ago
And if he could have played the part, he probably would have stayed with the series to the end and there would have been no Col. Potter character.
Even if they'd wanted to, TV in those decades wouldn't have allowed it. Not directly. You'd have to catch the cues. My favorite is when James T. Kirk is putting his boots back on after doing it with Kathie Brown (Deela) in, "The Wink of An Eye." Gosh, how could he resist her no matter what was going on! LOL! I think he would've too, with Barbara Luna in Mirror, Mirror, except there just wasn't time. But I think with Deela was about as far as they could go in the Sixties.
Pacificsun Wiseguy 1 day ago
I don't think the series would've lasted as long as it did, without Henry Morgan's Potter. There was only so much they could do with Blake. He had drawn that character very narrowly, and he wasn't old enough (meaning the character) to have as much of a meaningful background. The series actually needed a mature (very) viewpoint, perspective to give it a little more depth. People may argue with how the series changed after the original cast. But I think Production was eyeing the long term. They realized the value of syndication and residuals. All those changes actually helped!!