Pick: What would you watch on TV all day on this random Thursday in 1972?

Binge on a nostalgic buffet of game shows, cartoons and reruns.

Picture yourself back in 1972. The date is September 14. It's a Thursday. And we have some great news — you're staying home all day.

Maybe you called in sick, perhaps you're just playing hooky — who knows, it could be a holiday. Whatever the reason, you're parked on the sofa all day, ready to watch hours of television.

Oh, you also live in the New York City area.

What would you watch on TV? Well, we know what was on, thanks to this two-page spread from TV Guide [source: Techspot].

Pick whatever ignites your nostalgia, or something that just looks interesting to you today. Then see how your tastes compares to others!
  1. After taking a nice post-breakfast nap, you turn on the TV at 10am. Choose a channel.
  2. It's now 10:30am, and you have the choice between game shows and reruns.
  3. Okay, what's it going to be at 11am?
  4. At 11:30am, you now have some soaps and cartoons in the mix. What'll you watch?
  5. Okay, it's now noon. Time to fix a yummy lunch, sit on the couch, and watch something new.
  6. Turn the dial at 12:30pm.
  7. Care to change the channel at 1pm? There are plenty of options.
  8. Wow, Seventies TV keeps on giving. Dive into something at 1:30pm.
  9. We're getting deeper into the afternoon. Choose something at 2pm.
  10. There's no way you're tired of TV yet! But perhaps you need a little stretch? Pick something for 2:30pm.
  11. Ah, here's comes the good after-school stuff like cartoons! Pick something at 3pm.
  12. Keep it going with something at 3:30pm.
  13. Okay, everyone else is coming home soon. Pick one last thing at 4:30pm… well, until primetime.

Pick: What would you watch on TV all day on this random Thursday in 1972?

Save with

Stephen79 9 days ago
For question #1, I would have watched the Dinah Shore show instead of the other three ...
Kiyone57 12 days ago
Since my actual choices from the TV Guide were not available selections for some, I have to disagree with the result.
Rickey 12 days ago
69% similar
69% similar to the most popular responses
AlexanderMacdougall 12 days ago
No result given and it kept giving credit for choices I didn't make. I'd pick last option and it would say I picked first. These quizzes are a pain in the ass. Every other one seems to be bug-filled
ndebrabant 12 days ago

73% similar
73% similar to the most popular responses
Runeshaper 22 days ago
46% similar
46% similar to the most popular responses
FrankCollins 6 months ago
At most of these times, looking at the TV schedule, I would have watched a show that was not in the choices. Oh, and no option was given in the choices, to not watch any of them.
BuckeyeBeth 6 months ago
69% Similar.

I always get a little confused on these kind of quizzes. I guess I should be taking it twice and reporting both scores, what I would have watched and what we actually watched because I was a little kid and not in charge of the tv.😆
This is how I grew up, 7 channels, kid shows, old tv show reruns in the mornings & afternoons and old Hollywood movies as an alternative! Although I seem to remember having only 5 channels in Columbus Ohio. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and then those few weird UHF channels. I think those came from NY, NJ or Chicago area. I could be wrong but I also remember Mister Rogers being a morning tv show along with Sesame Street. The "older" kids educational shows like The Electric Company was an afternoon show. But this is my memory of how I was introduced to classic tv. Blocks of shows in the morning and again around 3pm. I remember one year it was two back to back episodes of I Love Lucy in the morning and in the afternoon it was one episode of The Lucy Show with Lucy Carmichael followed by an episode of Here's Lucy with Lucy Carter and teenage kids. I remember being little I couldn't keep the series names straight so it was a question of is it Lucy & Ricky, Lucy with Vivian and the bank, or Lucy with the teenage kids. 🤣
Unmentionabel1821 6 months ago
If GAMBIT and SPLIT SECOND we're in the choices, I would've voted for those?
Lucyneenah19701 6 months ago
66% similar. I Love Lucy is my favorite T.V. show! Please air I Love Lucy on MeTV again!
I have to ask. Is I Love Lucy your favorite or are you fine with any of her three shows?😄

It seems stations rarely play the other two. It would be nice to have all three shown together.
In 1999 or 2000, TV Guide magazine named Lucille Ball as the biggest TV star of the century. Her I Love Lucy show was the first to finish as the number 1 most popular show of the year, for 3 straight years, according to Nielsen ratings. She later had more TV shows, such as The Lucy Show, which did not have Ricky.
JamesB 6 months ago
To watch these shows on a "random Thursday" in September? Too early in the school year to be sick. Even during the Summer, I don't recall many rainy days in CA (yes, just like the song) so none of the midday shows were likely. The morning game shows or the late-afternoon cartoons (again, Summers only) were more common before/after the usual ball game or other plans! "The Dating Game" was usually fun, plus Jim Lange was a popular radio guy on KSFO in San Francisco, too.
BuckRogers 6 months ago
I was eight years old, Grandma Erma was babysitting me, told her I was sick, she said don’t go to school, so I stayed in bed watching daytime tv, and this was a Friday! Good times growing up! Oh, I had 65% similar.
tom78 6 months ago
75%..........I was working so I chose what I might have watched.
thedude1500 6 months ago
They forgot the Million Dollar Movie and Dialing for Dollars.
JamesB thedude1500 6 months ago
My grandparents always seemed to watch "Dialing for Dollars", too. They had an old-style party-line phone number so who knows if the station ever called? ;)
SPDavid 6 months ago
I was 12 years old.I would have been at school until 3 PM or so.I didn't have up to six channels at one time then.It's a mixed bag of shows I may have watched but also some I would have never watched.
MichaelSkaggs 7 months ago
Daytime tv in the early 70s. A good time to take some afternoon college classes. Also, several of them should have had the option of None Of The Above.
TomTerrrific 7 months ago
With these choices, I would have just turned off the TV and read a book!
DawnGraham 7 months ago
They should of let us pick from all the shows that were listed. Watched a lot of game shows then & still do today.