Pick: What would you watch on TV all day on this random Thursday in 1972?

Binge on a nostalgic buffet of game shows, cartoons and reruns.

Picture yourself back in 1972. The date is September 14. It's a Thursday. And we have some great news — you're staying home all day.

Maybe you called in sick, perhaps you're just playing hooky — who knows, it could be a holiday. Whatever the reason, you're parked on the sofa all day, ready to watch hours of television.

Oh, you also live in the New York City area.

What would you watch on TV? Well, we know what was on, thanks to this two-page spread from TV Guide [source: Techspot].

Pick whatever ignites your nostalgia, or something that just looks interesting to you today. Then see how your tastes compares to others!
  1. After taking a nice post-breakfast nap, you turn on the TV at 10am. Choose a channel.
  2. It's now 10:30am, and you have the choice between game shows and reruns.
  3. Okay, what's it going to be at 11am?
  4. At 11:30am, you now have some soaps and cartoons in the mix. What'll you watch?
  5. Okay, it's now noon. Time to fix a yummy lunch, sit on the couch, and watch something new.
  6. Turn the dial at 12:30pm.
  7. Care to change the channel at 1pm? There are plenty of options.
  8. Wow, Seventies TV keeps on giving. Dive into something at 1:30pm.
  9. We're getting deeper into the afternoon. Choose something at 2pm.
  10. There's no way you're tired of TV yet! But perhaps you need a little stretch? Pick something for 2:30pm.
  11. Ah, here's comes the good after-school stuff like cartoons! Pick something at 3pm.
  12. Keep it going with something at 3:30pm.
  13. Okay, everyone else is coming home soon. Pick one last thing at 4:30pm… well, until primetime.

Pick: What would you watch on TV all day on this random Thursday in 1972?

Snickers 3 months ago
80% similar. But back in 1972 there were only the three major networks and PBS to choose from. No Dish T.V or cable stations back then so viewer options were very limited.
MarkElliottSpencer 13 months ago
I got a 76, but truthfully #9 & 10 would have been NON OF THE ABOVE. I picked the Dating Game for 9, becuase it was the least likely to make me sick and Doctors for !0, though I'm guessing it was probably a soap opera, but I've worked in the medical field 38 years and it was the only choice that seemed likely. Wasn't a daytime TV watcher, unless I was staying overnight at my grandparents, who would turn the TV on from when they got up until they went to bed, even though they didn't watch a lot of it during the day. They lived out in the country.
DerekBird 17 months ago
58% similar
58% similar to the most popular responses
ndebrabant 17 months ago
73% similar
73% similar to the most popular responses
kriss37 17 months ago
That was fun : bringing back childhood memories : I was ten years old in 1972 and scoring only 61% in comparison says a lot about me. I was always different than most of my peers. The big thing I remember was everyone into Perry Mason. I never watched that show until 2018, when I realized how similar it was to Law & Order, one of my all-time favorite cop shows. :)
Josie92 18 months ago
70% similar. The best thing I watched after school was Dark Shadows. I think it was off the air by 1972.
Stephen79 25 months ago
For question #1, I would have watched the Dinah Shore show instead of the other three ...
Kiyone57 25 months ago
Since my actual choices from the TV Guide were not available selections for some, I have to disagree with the result.
Rickey 25 months ago
69% similar
69% similar to the most popular responses
AlexanderMacdougall 25 months ago
No result given and it kept giving credit for choices I didn't make. I'd pick last option and it would say I picked first. These quizzes are a pain in the ass. Every other one seems to be bug-filled
ndebrabant 25 months ago

73% similar
73% similar to the most popular responses
Runeshaper 26 months ago
46% similar
46% similar to the most popular responses
FrankCollins 32 months ago
At most of these times, looking at the TV schedule, I would have watched a show that was not in the choices. Oh, and no option was given in the choices, to not watch any of them.
BuckeyeBeth 32 months ago
69% Similar.

I always get a little confused on these kind of quizzes. I guess I should be taking it twice and reporting both scores, what I would have watched and what we actually watched because I was a little kid and not in charge of the tv.😆
This is how I grew up, 7 channels, kid shows, old tv show reruns in the mornings & afternoons and old Hollywood movies as an alternative! Although I seem to remember having only 5 channels in Columbus Ohio. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and then those few weird UHF channels. I think those came from NY, NJ or Chicago area. I could be wrong but I also remember Mister Rogers being a morning tv show along with Sesame Street. The "older" kids educational shows like The Electric Company was an afternoon show. But this is my memory of how I was introduced to classic tv. Blocks of shows in the morning and again around 3pm. I remember one year it was two back to back episodes of I Love Lucy in the morning and in the afternoon it was one episode of The Lucy Show with Lucy Carmichael followed by an episode of Here's Lucy with Lucy Carter and teenage kids. I remember being little I couldn't keep the series names straight so it was a question of is it Lucy & Ricky, Lucy with Vivian and the bank, or Lucy with the teenage kids. 🤣