Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1961?

Beaver vs. Perry! Bugs vs. Marshal Dillon! Andy vs. Lucas! Who will win?

Image: General Electric / tvhistory

The 1961-62 television season served up on the most fascinatingly diverse schedule in history. The big three networks tossed together Westerns, animation, game shows, sitcoms and gritty drama — often all in the same night.

In what other year could you watch Bullwinkle and Bonanza on the same channel? Beaver before boxing? Chimps leading into Barney Rubble leading into Kookie? The success of The Flintstones in the prior year led to loads of cartoons in primetime.

Of course, changing the channel was a chore. With that in mind, pick just one channel to watch each day of the week in 1961! Let's see what is most popular today!

Watch The Flintstones on MeTV!

Weeknights at 6 PM
Sundays at 10 AM

1. We start on Sunday evening, when the family gathers around the television. Pick a channel and stick with it.
  2. Monday! After a hard day of school or work, time to kick back. With one channel.
  3. Tuesday has lots of options! Well, three channels. And you pick one.
  4. Wednesday, Hump Day. It's a tough call!
  5. Thursdays has long been a night for "must-see" TV, going back to 1961.
  6. Why go out on a Friday night with options like this?
  7. Before we get to Saturday evening, we can't overlook Saturday morning cartoons and children's television!
  8. We wrap up on a Saturday night. It's a party on the boob tube!

Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1961?

musiclady1170 2 hours ago
I was 56% similar because I went by what I would actually have watched in 1961 (I was 5), not necessarily what I would watch these days.
piercedale 16 days ago
I grew up in the 60's and I couldn't wait for Saturday morning cartoons and watching Saturday night at the movies with my parents. Only 3 channels but the programs were so much better back then. How about a survey circa 1965 ?
Dario 17 days ago
64% similar. 😁😁😁😁😁
AnnieM 18 days ago
78%. This was a fun survey. I'd love to see more of them for different years.
JoeyZone11 23 days ago
I don't blame MeTV since I love them and they're making boatloads of money off of Liberty Mutual but I just had to get this out in case any marketing geniuses from Liberty Mutual are reading this. If you're gonna run a commercial into the ground like that stupid limu in the elevator spot at least make sure it's remotely funny. Take note of the TD Ameritrade spot with Dolph Lundgren where things get "Rocky". Put the quarter in the meter and hire new writers!
Sammama 23 days ago
What is the Walt Disney show on Sunday?
piercedale Sammama 16 days ago
The wonderful world of Disney.
hermanstein2015 23 days ago
73% similar I wasn't born til 89' and as much as I want to say we had the best cartoons, (we did lol) we didn't have great shows like Leave it to Beaver. All we watch now is the old black and white TV shows and Movies bc those people had real talent. I love having an old soul! ❤️
Pacificsun 23 days ago
Funny how 1 Show out of all the choices offered would influence which Network to watch for that night.

But oh gosh, were those really our only choices. I mean mixing Leave It To Beaver with Lawrence Welk and THEN the Fights (after the kiddies went to bed)?? Like what were they thinking!
Robert 23 days ago
64%. I was a kid in the 60's and generally liked to watch comedy sit-coms and cartoons when I had the chance. We had one B&W Silvertone console TV and my parents really only watched the news or a movie occasionally, so us kids could kinda watch what we wanted...
Linda 23 days ago
I got cartoons...parents were game shows and Lawrence well.
frances3agape 24 days ago
82 percent match to the rest of yoiu all
But usually we only watched 1 show per night
I was almost CBS all the way
DouglasMorris 24 days ago
64% similar! I was not even around back in 1961. born in 1972.
maybe you watched them in a previous life
KenKnighton 24 days ago
70% - I was four years old in 1961! I picked Soupy Sales because we had him on the local ABC station in Detroit Monday through Friday mornings.
Robert KenKnighton 23 days ago
I was pretty young when Soupy was on. I remember the "The Mouse" dance and always wondered why they wasted all those pies by throwing them...
Pacificsun Robert 23 days ago
Pies that get thrown are only a crust filled with Meringue!