Pick: Which movies would you go see in the theaters in 1979?

Pick a single classic movie to see each month.

Do you like to cry into your napkins or laugh so much it spills popcorn all over the floor? Do you want action or horror, outer space or ancient history?

Well, the cinema of 1979 had you covered no matter what. It was an interesting year for film that saw several franchises kick off and the release of some timeless classics.

But for the sake of this survey, you can only see ONE movie each month. We gathered just about all of the biggest movies of the year. Take your pick and compare your taste to the rest!
  1. It's the middle of winter. But you gotta get out of the house sometime. Pick one of these movies to see in January and February of 1979.
  2. March is here, spring is on its way. Let's go see a movie.
  3. Action, Allen or athletes? Pick a movie to see in April.
  4. May means the blockbusters are arriving. Pick the one you want to see the most.
  5. Summer movie season has arrived. That means sequels and silly comedies. Pick one film from June 1979.
  6. Pick one of these movies to see in July. Hey, free air conditioning.
  7. There are some instant classics arriving in August 1979. Pick one.
  8. Cartoons or The Who? September 1979 has some slim pickings, but pick one.
  9. October means the prestige stuff starts to arrive. Pick one of these films.
  10. November '79 offers music and sports for the family. Pick a movie to see.
  11. Lots of big ones arrive in December 1979 — Oscar season and the holidays. But you can only pick one. Which will it be?
Pick: Which movies would you go see in the theaters in 1979?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
DiscoDave 21 days ago
71% similar. My 5 favorites from those in this list: Apocalypse Now, The Rose, Alien, The China Syndrome and Amityville Horror
Kevin 22 days ago
Some of these were "R" rated & I would have had to sneak in. "Caligulia" was "X" rated, there was no way I could sneak into that.
JV 22 days ago
Some of the sets, I wouldn't pay to see ANY of the choices, somebody would have to PAY ME. Others I'd pay to see all of them.
Lacey 23 days ago
43% Similar but I chose the pictures I actually paid for, or my date paid for, not the ones that time has shown to be better.
HockeyMike 23 days ago
To me, many times the "not as popular" movies are movies I love watching over and over. In this poll, "The Warriors", would be one of those movies that I`ve seen many times and never get tired of.
Not in the poll, but in `79, Escape From Alcatraz & North Dallas Forty were pretty good also.
Robert 23 days ago
I was at the filming of the Rose with Bette Midler at the Wiltern Theater in LA, an old girlfriend won tickets from KLOS radio station
UTZAAKE 23 days ago
29% similar.
6. "I love New York. Especially in the evening." Frankie Langella at his cheesiest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwaKmF80j8A
7. The Life of Brian (Monty Python).
9. ...And Justice for All (Baltimore).
10. The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (Julius Erving).
ETristanBooth 23 days ago
Why is Life of Brian at only 24%? Did anyone else see it in the theater this year for the 40th anniversary showing?
jholton30062 23 days ago
55% similar. In several cases, I chose one even though I'd just as soon stayed home and read a book.
Tresix 23 days ago
50% similar. I saw quite a number of these upon their original release. It should be noted that the "Captain America" film shown here was a made-for-TV movie that was a pilot for a potential Cap TV series. It may have been shown theatrically in some places, it certainly wasn't done so in Chicago.
Robert Tresix 23 days ago
never saw that in theater her in CA
Edward 23 days ago
Most of these was a choice of "the lesser of 3 - 4 evils."Quadro - YES ! ! ! !
NormHinderliter 23 days ago
I OBJECT! Why does MeTV only allow the public to vote on what MeTV wants us to vote on? Why not let the PUBLIC submit OUR choices, then choose from among these? Is MeTV AFRAID that viewers wont agree with them?
Barry22 24 days ago
60% The Warriors is one of my all-time favorites.
HockeyMike Barry22 23 days ago
Yes definitely! "The Warriors"...seen it 50 times, but, always have to watch it when its on.
Mine too! Have it recorded on DVR