Can you I.D. the top hits of 1969 from just a snippet of the chorus?

It takes more than "Everyday People" to beat this one!

Did you groove to the biggest hits of 1969, shaking us out of the Sixties and into the Seventies with some of pop's most memorable swoons? Most of the year's major songs were fresh hits from acts like Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, the Monkees and Dusty Springfield. Others were covers that took old classics to the top of the charts for the very first time.

All of them had memorable choruses.

Think you can I.D. the top songs of '69 from just a snippet of the chorus? Dial back your memories and see if you can rock the quiz below.
MeTV Music Listen Now MeTV Music Listen Now
  1. “Big wheel keep on turning’”
  2. “You are my candy girl / And you’ve got me wanting you”
  3. “I’m just about to lose my mind”
  4. “Then peace will guide the planets / And love will steer the stars”
  5. “We can’t go on together”
  6. “Hold me like you’ll never let me go”
  7. "The only one who could ever reach me"
  8. “Was like any other until I kissed you”
  9. “Play the drum a little louder / Tell me I can live without her”
  10. “I’m high on believing / That you’re in love with me”
  11. “… right now / Over me”
  12. “Over and over”
  13. “Oh, yes we will, yes we will”
Can you I.D. the top hits of 1969 from just a snippet of the chorus?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
robert55 3 months ago
13/13...I played just to see Dusty's face over and over again!!
FrankCollins 3 months ago
I don't know who chose the songs for this quiz, but they picked some obscure songs, and left out some much bigger hits.
Tresix 3 months ago
12/13. I missed "Listen to the Band". "I Heard Through the Grapevine" was both Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight & the Pips. Both versions of the song were released within about a week of each other.
ETristanBooth Tresix 3 months ago
13/13. "Listen to the Band" is one of my favorite Monkees songs.
Dale 3 months ago
Only missed one. It was #5. “We can’t go on together”. I think I was having a little cognitive dissonance because I was listening to music on a TV commercial during Rawhide while I answered that one. I choose # 3. "Where did our love go", a title which seemed similar to the lyric.
Joseph 3 months ago
Lucky 13/13. Pretty easy, though I had to take an educated guess on one.
legion1a 3 months ago
One wrong, and that was number 5.
I don't know how I missed that one, after I looked at it for a second time.
It is my destiny to never get 100% in these little quizzes!
I must have angered the Quiz Gods!
MrBill 3 months ago
9/13; tough quiz for me but still did well considering I was only 5 in 1969.
ETristanBooth MrBill 3 months ago
I got them all, but I guess that's because I was 7 in 1969. (So, are you Mr. Bill from SNL?)
Leo 3 months ago
Only missed 1 for some reason i remember the music from 69 i was 16 soooo long ago but the heavy hit's just kept coming ,boss am radio
EllisClevenger 3 months ago
You got 11 out of 13
We heard through the grapevine you were the biggest fan of 1969 music, and now we know it's true!
Missed #4 and #8.
SheriHeffner 4 months ago
12 out of 13. I missed 9 because I barely remember any song from The Monkees because they used to scare me with the disembodied heads coming out of the screen and the one guy looks like he's screaming. When you are five, going on six that's a scary thing, plus the creepy LOUD S from Hell music from Screen Gems scared me just as much.
cperrynaples SheriHeffner 4 months ago
The Monkees weren't scary, Jack Benny's head in the Carson episode that was scary when I was 6!
moax429 SheriHeffner 3 months ago
I didn't like the Screen Gems "S from Hell," either (I was only 6 in 1968)..

Did you see the short film about that on You Tube ("The S from Hell")? It was rather funny. Check it out when you can.