Can you pass the great, big Green Acres quiz?

Gree-e-e-e-n Acres is the place for me…

The charmingly quirky Green Acres remains one of the most beloved sitcoms of the 1960s. While on the surface it was a simple tale of city folk moving to a farm, the sitcom was ahead of its time. Green Acres broke the fourth wall, had its characters acknowledge that they were living in a sitcom, and experimented with other postmodern techniques.

But when it comes down to it, it was just darn funny. Regardless of all that academic stuff.

No wonder the series aired for six popular seasons. You can probably sing the theme song. Let's see how well you know some trivia about Green Acres.

Watch Green Acres on MeTV!

Weeknights at 9:30 PM
Saturdays at 7 AM

1. What is the full name of the scene-stealing pig on 'Green Acres'?
  2. 'Green Acres,' like its sister show 'Petticoat Junction,' takes place around which fictional town?
  3. Eddie Albert's character name "Oliver Wendell Douglas" was a mash-up of Oliver Wendell Holmes and William Orville Douglas, who were two Americans famous for being what?
  4. 'Green Acres' was based on 1950's 'Granby's Green Acres.' What was 'Granby's Green Acres?'
  5. Oliver and Lisa move to the countryside from which big city?
  6. Lisa Douglas (and actress Eva Gabor) were of what nationality?
  7. In the opening credits, Lisa and Oliver pose with a pitchfork in an homage to what iconic American painting by Grant Wood?
  8. How did Oliver meet Lisa?
  9. What was unique about the first episode of 'Green Acres'?
  10. Vic Mizzy composed the theme song to 'Green Acres.' What other unforgettable TV theme song did he write?
  11. Who sang the theme song to 'Green Acres?'
  12. What did Oliver do for a living in the big city before moving to the farm?
  13. 'Green Acres' costars Eva Gabor and Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney) voiced the characters Duchess and Napoleon in this Disney classic.
  14. Lisa is a notoriously bad cook. Oliver uses this "specialty" of Lisa's to fix gaskets on his truck, reshingle the roof and mortar a fireplace.
  15. This character played by Frank Cady is the only person to be a regular on both 'Petticoat Junction' and 'Green Acres.'
  16. How did Oliver serve during World War II?
  17. Which of the following titles was NOT an early proposed title for 'Green Acres.'
  18. The earlier mentioned 'Granby's Green Acres' starred this 'Petticoat Junction' actress in the role of the wife.
  19. Arnold the pig falls in love with Cynthia. What kind of animal is Cynthia?
  20. Arnold the pig wins first prize in an art contest with an abstract painting titled…?
  21. Legendary Hollywood animal trainer Frank Inn also trained this dog who played Benji — and appeared on 'Petticoat Junction.'
  22. A reunion film, 'Return to Green Acres,' aired on TV in what year?
  23. This network newsman and host of 'What's My Line?' appeared the narrator in the first episode.
  24. Exactly how big was the Douglas farm?
  25. The final episode of the series was a backdoor pilot episode for a spin-off based on which character?

Can you pass the great, big Green Acres quiz?

Save with

Andrew 2 months ago
20/25. At least a "B" in just about any TV "school". LOL!
Michael 3 months ago
22 of 25. Actually Mr.Ziffel was the one who shingled his roof with the HotsCakes. I don't know if Oliver ever actually did it but when he saw how Mr.Ziffel used them he said "why didn't I think of that?".
jeopardyhead 3 months ago
I got 25/25. I'm a Green Acres freak, so I would have been disappointed with anything less. The only question that gave me any trouble was #17.
NightGaunt49 8 months ago
5/25 But it has been a long while since I have seen all the episodes. My favorite of the slew of shows of that time. Surreal. Also there is an Outer Limits that can almost be compared to Green Acres in a weird and frightening ways. Remember the exploding tumble weeds? The frogs that dissolved in water? The old guy who dies and then the alien presence uses his hands to write? Called "Sound of Silence". One of the few really good episodes of the 2nd season.

I even had this peculiar urge to write brief synopsis for a Addams Family/Green Acres crossover of 26 episodes. The family Summer Vacation between Hooterville and Pixley in a haunted Martense mansion of course prone to lightning storms and weird sounds etc.
Pacificsun 8 months ago
GOOD quiz! Missed way too many!
ELEANOR 8 months ago
#16 -- It was the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) NOT the United States Army Air Forces.
Art1957 8 months ago
I got 19 out of 25 so that's not all that bad considering I haven't watched this great show since I was a kid! I don't agree with some of the others, Green Acres is a much more entertaining show in so many ways as opposed to WKRP. I'm happy for the chance to watch it Monday thru Friday this summer, I hope it goes longer!
Pacificsun Art1957 8 months ago
The thinking is that WKRP was replaced because it belongs to 20th Century (Fox) Television. MeTV pulls their shows mainly from CBS Distribution Television. However it was a thoughtful "trade", exchanging one quirky show for another at least. I think Green Acres was meant to be a spoof of "rural" sitcoms But of because of such talented (stage worthy) actors in it, the intention wasn't really noticed. WKRP was a very strong ensemble (actors') sitcom. In the tradition of Frasier, just more silly. Wouldn't have worked without the combination of zaney personalities involved. Being they played it just for what it was ... improbably funny!
GeorgeSEllington 8 months ago
I got 19 out of 25 I loved this show!
Corey 8 months ago
What tv show was mentioned in Green Acres?
Answer: Hogan's Heroes.
jeopardyhead Corey 3 months ago
As well as Mister Ed, The Beverly Hillbillies, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., The Smothers Brothers Variety Hour,...
LarryLeGros 8 months ago
11/25. Never really watched the show. Maybe I should have.
MrBill 8 months ago
19/25; I also thought it was a tough quiz - maybe a few too many questions.
UTZAAKE 8 months ago
17/25. Goofed on 8, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 and 25.
1. The pig's name appeared in a question on an exam in one of the accounting courses I took during my third year in college. After explaining the answer while reviewing the exam results, the professor (a Ben Mankiewicz-type) asked the class if anyone knew the significance of the name. Everyone else didn't; I knew but was too agonized over yet another failed test.
JeffTanner 8 months ago
''You got 20 out of 25'' ----------------Marvelous. Simply marvelous!