It takes a video game wizard to identify all these classic Atari games

Even if you didn't play them, we bet you can identify them.

In September 1977, the video game craze truly blasted off with the release of the Atari 2600. The console quickly became the ultimate electronic toy of the late-Seventies and early-Eighties. Kids quickly learned the fine art of button mashing — and how to blow dust out of the cartridges.

The graphics may be a lot more realistic today, but nothing beats the simple brilliance of those old games.

Below, we've gathered screens from some of the biggest games for the Atari 2600. Even if you didn't play them, we bet you can identify them.

1. Which sport is being played in this Atari game?
  2. Okay, which game is being played here on the Atari 2600?
  3. Which sport is being played in this Atari game?
  4. This notorious Atari game was based on a blockbuster movie — and ended up in a New Mexico landfill.
  5. Who is this big guy?
  6. Which outta sight outer space Atari game is this?
  7. We cut off a bit of the screen — but which game is being played here?
  8. Activision made this popular jungle adventure game.
  9. Fire away! Which game is being played here?
  10. Take a close look — which Pac-Man game is this?
  11. This pioneering game was the first to hide an "Easter Egg" so common in games today.
  12. Finally, can you recognize this popular arcade game on the Atari 2600?

It takes a video game wizard to identify all these classic Atari games

Save with

anthony 13 days ago
8/12.Did better they I thought.Never had the early game systems,but did play some at my nephews.So funny to see the original baseball graphics.Especially compared to what they have today.
Almost hard to compare. I remember Baseball, playing against friends
or the computer. Hit 3 in a row with a pitch, then an easy triple play!
I also enjoyed video arcade baseball games like Home Run Hitter and Slugfest.
EllisClevenger 13 days ago
You got 12 out of 12
Zap! You nailed it!
Lillyrose 17 days ago
6 out of 12. I liked Ms. Pac-Man the best!
An instant classic. At least 100x better than Pac-Man!
DIGGER1 20 days ago
It takes a video game wizard to identify all these classic Atari games
You got 11 out of 12
Zap! You nailed it!
Runeshaper 21 days ago
You got 11 out of 12
Zap! You nailed it!

#4 zapped me! LOL
Wells 21 days ago
Our first video game was the Magnavox Odyssey in the early 70s. A friend of hours got the Intellivision system when it came out. Over the years, we accumulated different game systems, but eventually gave them away, much to my regret.
cperrynaples Wells 21 days ago
My nephew has EVERY game system from Atari and Intellivision to XBox and PS4 and plays them all!
Sooooooo many! Gotta admire his dedication.

Well, he didn't have the Coleco systems as they were too limited! However, seeing the Telstar Arcade reminds me of Seth Myers' ongoing look back at bad video games! It's worth looking for on YouTube!
I agree, but at the time, they were cool. Come 1982, the Colecovision was a game changer!
Near-perfect ports of tons of arcade games. Too bad it sold for $175, $477 by 2019's
inflation.
The Jorbus system?
Mildly funny, but I only watched 1.
UnicornPrincess 21 days ago
10/12... wow! I did better than I thought!
cperrynaples 21 days ago
11/12! Missed 11! Can't believe you picked the worst looking Atari games! Yes, the 2600 was limited, but a few of the later games were really good!
Some of the worst-looking were still popular.
Did I mention how much I love Berzerk?
RobCertSDSCascap 21 days ago
Centipede and Millipede are definitely among Atari's best!
I had Pinball/Breakout!
Cool! Here is our first system, one of hundreds of Pong wanna-bes.
BubbaPacha77511 21 days ago
12/12....was expecting to see combat but oh well. at least they had my fave defender. also imho the worst ever ET
Larry 21 days ago
You got 11 out of 12 Missed 11 - Adventure
Zap! You nailed it!
RobCertSDSCascap 21 days ago
12/12! Give me 112 more!
#4- Run, E.T.! The man in a dress is after you!
Glad they chose awful arcade ports as well as great ones.
Pac-Man and Donkey Kong- HORRIBLE!
Ms. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender- GREAT!

KellyShort 21 days ago
It takes a video game wizard to identify all these classic Atari games
You got 12 out of 12
Moody 22 days ago
8/12, Not bad considering I never played Atari.
jojo68 22 days ago
11 out of 12. I had an Atari 2600 and played all these games. I don't know how I missed Berzerk. Oops, I take that back. I DID NOT play the ET game. Never had it.
KellyShort jojo68 21 days ago
ET is a very rare game most of them can be found in a landfill. Can't remember the reason the company destroyed them
Because no one bought them. They paved over them, as if to contain some dark
dangerous evil spirit.
Loved Berzerk! Excellent Atari 2600 port; missing only the speech function.
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!
GOT THE HUMANOID, GOT THE INTRUDER!
In the original arcade game 64,000 different mazes were possible.
cuz it was horrible
Showtime did an entire documentary about digging up the ET carts!
Not sorry I missed it. I got the game for Christmas that year. Hid it so none of my
friends knew. Played it for about 15 minutes. Tapped out.
232 listed on eBay even as we type.