Mattel is selling a David Bowie Barbie to celebrate the 50th anniversary of ''Space Oddity''

This is ground control to Major Ken… Barbie has gone Ziggy Stardust.

MeTV Music Listen Now MeTV Music Listen Now

Image: Mattel

On July 11, 1969, a struggling folk singer named David Bowie released a 7" single for a new ditty called "Space Oddity." Just two years earlier, he had changed his name from David Jones, to avoid confusion with Davy Jones of the Monkees, and written a song about gnomes. But "Space Oddity" would, well, launch his career into the stratosphere. It certainly helped that his tune about Major Tom aboard a spaceship arrived in shops mere weeks before Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

There are countless 50th anniversary celebrations happening to mark that momentous summer. Today, Mattel revealed a "Barbie® David Bowie Doll." One icon meets another in this "adult collector" toy (sorry, kids!). Barbie is styled to look like Ziggy Stardust, complete with bright orange mullet, makeup moon on the forehead, shiny jumpsuit and platform boots.

Sure, you could nitpick and point out that Bowie did not reveal his glam Ziggy Stardust persona until 1971. A period-appropriate 1969 "Space Oddity" doll would have more of a hippie look. Like this:

Mattel has styled Barbie to look more like Bowie performing the song in his final Ziggy days in 1973.

But, whatever. It's cool.

Oh, and the cost? $50, of course. Just a buck for every year. You can purchase the doll at Mattel.

Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
SusanRWorthington 1 day ago

This is actually a very informative article – not like most of what I see online. Thanks for the free share and looking forward to reading your updates! simply wow!

HERE.....>>>­­ http://finestylereview.com
harlow1313 2 days ago
I find this disturbing. Sometimes our consumer culture seems a bit clueless.
RosemaryCAdams 3 days ago
Google is now paying $17000 to $22000 according to month for working online from domestic. i have joined this task 2 months in the past and i have earned $20544 in my first month from this process. i will say my existence is changed-completely for the higher! test it out whaat i do…..

click right here ══════❥❥❥❥❥HERE► W­­­­w­­­­w­­.jobsprofit.­­­­c­­­­o­­­­­­m
JaimiePritt 3 days ago
My real time work with facebook Im making over $2000 a month operating low maint­enance. I continued h­earing distinctive people divulge to me how an lousy lot cash they can make on line so I selected to research it. All topics considered, it become all legitimate and has without a doubt changed my life. For more statistics visit below site
HERE☛..............................www.payshd.com
JohnSSeale 3 days ago

Don’t copy "++" with web address
tanam 3 days ago
Start your home business right now. Spend more time with your family and earn. Start bringing per hr just on a computer. Very easy way to make your life happy and earning continuously.
Start here…....check further details by open the link and click on (HOME TECH OR MEDIA.)

HERE?? www.ViewsInsider.com
ValentinAHardy 3 days ago

Start getting paid every month online from home more than $15k just by doing very simple and easy job from home. Last month i have earned $17954 from this online job just by giving this 2 hrs a day using my laptop. I am now a good online earner. Get this job you guys also and start earning money online right now by follow details here......................===>>> www.gocash7.com++ Don’t copy "++" with web address
Any baby boomer girl out there that played with Barbie, remember the ones with the plastic hair and the space for the adhesive headband? {Circa '64-'67, some time like that.} When I saw this DB one, I was reminded of the headband one, and was curious, {okay, I am being nosey,} if any other boomer gals played with this particular one.
Yes she had plastic hair and 3 wigs. One Burnette, a longish blonde and a short red. I think I still have the red and blonde wigs. She came with a white and gold lame bathing suit.