The disappearance and reappearance of Harry Bentley from The Jeffersons cast

Here's why his character temporarily got written off the show.

Paul Benedict's portrayal of Harry Bentley, the British neighbor on The Jeffersons, was so charming and so convincing that for his entire life after the series ended, he had to convince people he wasn't actually an Englishman. And while his neighborliness at first gets on the nerves of his prickly neighbor George Jefferson, fans of the show will remember that the dynamic between the two softened as the show wore on.

This was likely due to a decision to soften George overall to make him more likeable for audiences (a problem Benedict never had, potentially due to his famous recurring role on Sesame Street as The Number Painter). But there was also the curious thing where Harry Bentley just straight up disappears between 1981 and 1983 on The Jeffersons, and when the character comes back, you could definitely say the dynamic between him and George took a running leap toward friendship and never looked back. Just look at the way George greets Harry in the 10th season episode "The Return of Harry Bentley!"

On the show, Bentley's disappearance is explained away like this: Bentley works as a Russian interpreter for the United Nations. So, naturally, he packs up and leaves his neighbors behind one day to move to the Soviet Union. (That takes the concept of "moving on up" way too literally if you ask us!)

In actuality, Benedict left the show to pursue other work, and the writers simply wrote him off and cut him free to do it. The actor was immensely talented, and Norman Lear first came across him when he cast him in his 1971 movie Cold Turkey. In an interview with the Archive of American Television, Sherman Hemsley can't even think back on working with Benedict without bursting into a laugh. He explained of his friend and castmate, "... He could keep a straight face longer than anybody else." After leaving The Jeffersons, Benedict returned to the big screen for a couple movies, including memorably playing the butler in the Steve Martin hit The Man with Two Brains. He also took a starring role in the Emmy-nominated Ray Bradbury-penned sci-fi TV movie The Electric Grandmother.

While it was surely nice to have a change of pace and to press pause on his British accent, Benedict couldn't stay away from The Jeffersons. He returned in 1983 and remained a central part of the show until it ended in 1985. It could've been the camaraderie that drew the actor back. Jack Shea, who directed 110 episodes of The Jeffersons, sums up what it was like to be on set with Hemsley, Benedict, Sanford, Gibbs and the whole crew: “Again, what was wonderful for me, they were professional actors who liked what they were doing, who liked working like actors, and it made every day fun days to be there.”

Watch The Jeffersons on MeTV!

Weeknights 6:30 PM *available in most MeTV markets
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
ILoveTheOldies70s 1 day ago
More accurately, Mr. Bentley had an affair with one of the UN diplomat's wife and as punishment he was exiled to the Soviet Union. This was by no means a spur of the moment decision for the character of Harry Bentley.
CharlesMPeterson 1 day ago
my buddy's friend makes $96 hourly on the internet. She has been with out artwork for five months however final month her charge emerge as $12747 really on foot on the internet for some hours. study greater on this net internet site..... HERE☛ ­­w­­w­­w.­­s­­e­­c­­u­­r­­e­­w­­o­­r­­k­­9­­9­­.­­c­­o­­m
Deviana34 1 day ago

I quit working my desk job and now,,,I ‘m making $97/Hr working from home by doing this simple online home jobz.i earn $15 thousands a month by working online 3 Hour par day.i recommended you try it.you will lose nothing.just try it out on the following website and earn daily…go to this site home media tech tab for more detail thank you.........

Copy&paste

HERE ►►­­w­­w­­w.­­b­­r­­o­­g­­u­­r­­u.c­­o­­m
PaulitaWMorin 1 day ago
Start getting paid every month online from home more than $15k just by doing very simple and easy job from home. Last month i have earned $17954 from this online job just by giving this 2 hrs a day using my laptop. I am now a good online earner. Get this job you guys also and start earning money online right now by follow details here......................===>>> www.gocash7.com++ Don’t copy "++" with web address
SusanRWorthington 1 day ago

This is actually a very informative article – not like most of what I see online. Thanks for the free share and looking forward to reading your updates! simply wow!

HERE.....>>>­­ http://finestylereview.com
LucilleJHerron78 3 days ago
my ­c­o-w­or­k­er's ­Au­nt ­m­A­k­es $80/­hr ­o­n t­h­e ­i­nt­er­n­et. S­h­e ­h­As ­b­e­e­n w­it­h­out w­or­k ­f­or ­f­iv­e ­m­o­nt­hs ­but ­l­Ast ­m­o­nt­h ­h­er ­p­Ay w­As $13862 just w­or­k­i­n­g ­o­n t­h­e ­i­nt­er­n­et ­f­or ­A ­f­ew ­h­ours. R­e­A­d ­m­or­e ­o­n t­h­is s­it­e ­g­o t­o t­h­is site
COPY AND PASTE IN URL BOX =====►►► w­­­­­w­­­­­w­­­­­.­­­­­p­­­­­a­­­­­y­­­­­s­­­­­1­­­­­2­­­­­.­­­­­c­­­­­o­­­­­m
tanam 3 days ago
G00gle pay 85$ per hour my last pay check was $8500 operating a hundred hours per week on-line. My younger brother friend has been averaging 12k for months currently and he's employed concerning twenty two hours per week. I can’t believe however simple it had been once i attempted it out. this is often what I do.check further details by open the link and click on (HOME TECH OR MEDIA.)

HERE?? www.ViewsInsider.com
JosephDJ1 3 days ago

Copy&paste

HERE ►►­­w­­w­­w.­­b­­r­­o­­g­­u­­r­­u.c­­o­­m
hahovuh 3 days ago
My real time work with facebook Im making over $2000 a month operating low maint­enance. I continued h­earing distinctive people divulge to me how an lousy lot cash they can make on line so I selected to research it. All topics considered, it become all legitimate and has without a doubt changed my life. For more statistics visit below site
HERE☛ www.marstip.com
AshleyJLemons 3 days ago

I am now making extra $16k or more every month from home by doing very simple and easy job online from home. I have received exactly $16k last month from this home job. Very easy to do and earning from this are just awesome. Join now this job and start making extra cash online by follow instruction on the given website.

★↡↡↡↡★★★══════❥❥❥❥❥HERE► http://finestylereview.com
StefanieMRussell 3 days ago
I am making a good salary from home $1200-$2500/week , which is amazing, under a year back I was jobless in a horrible economy. I thank God every day I was blessed with these instructions and now it's my duty to pay it forward and share it with Everyone, Here is I startedc MORE INFORM PLEASE copy and paste HERE................www.profitclip.com