Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1984?

Go back in time on television. We'll even tell you the episodes.

1984 gets a bad rap. Blame George Orwell. Besides, his novel got a lot of things wrong. For starters, he could not even predict the existence of The Facts of Life and T.J. Hooker. Pfft.

Hop in our time machine and travel back to the fall of '84. The air is crisp. Ghostbusters and Gremlins are in the dollar theaters. "Let's Go Crazy" is the hottest song on the radio.

But here are the program options on network television… what will you watch?
  1. We arrive on Sunday night, September 30. The time is 7pm. What are you watching?
  2. Okay, now it is 9pm. Pick something from the TV Guide.
  3. We jump forward to October 15. Who says Mondays are blah? Pick something at 8pm.
  4. It's now October 30. The kids are putting together their Ghostbusters costumes for tomorrow. But what are you watching at 8pm this Tuesday evening?
  5. It's Halloween! Trick-or-treaters keep ringing the doorbell as you're watching what at 8pm?
  6. Okay, there is no more candy to give out. (Only candy to eat.) What are you watching now at 9pm?
  7. It's Thursday, 8:30pm. What would you be watching — action, sitcom or movie of the night?
  8. You jump back to October 26. Time machines are nifty like that. It's Friday, 8:30pm. What are you watching?
  9. A day has passed. Happy October 27. It is currently 8pm. What is on your TV screen?
  10. But wait! Don't forget about Saturday morning cartoons. You hop back to 12:30PM, earlier that day. What are you watching?
  11. You decide to hang out a little long in 1984. It's a Monday morning, 11am. What will you watch?
  12. Finally, you should catch up on the news of the day to tell people what was happening in the outside world. Pick an evening news broadcast to watch at 6:30pm.
Pick: What would you watch on TV in 1984?

Share your results:
Save with

Click here to learn about MeTV's new commenting system!
thedude1500 4 days ago
Monday at 8 p.m. in October would be Monday Night Football. 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 would all be none of these above (I'd probably be watching either ESPN or Prime Sports Midwest, now called Fox Sports Kansas City).
CherylMeneely 5 days ago
Got 77%. But I was only 16 years old in 1984. So.
Lacey 6 days ago
64% similar. Monday Morning and V sank me.
kissoff 6 days ago
80% similar. What about Kate & Allie? Ari Meyers was a BABE!!
FrankCollins 6 days ago
Most of these choices should have included "none of the above", and that would have been my choice. When are you going to play the classic cartoons of Bugs Bunny/Road Runner?
DawnGraham 6 days ago
One of the choices should of been None of the above.
csaaphill 7 days ago
Should have had something different because, by 84, we had cable and might have been watching HBO, or something else. And Saturday's at 12:30, if dad was home we may have went fishing, or hunting if it was fall. Bugs Bunny was on earlier like around 9 am too. Also might have watched American Bandstand once in a while. And the A-Team was on Fridays, so was Night Rider. Kind of Shocked at the % for Airwolf that was cool, me and dad watched a lot.
You spelled KNIGHT Rider incorrectly...lol
csaaphill 7 days ago
Similar, but went off the path on a couple.
Edward 7 days ago
Having a mortgage and kids, in married life, I was watching most all of the popular.
HockeyMike 7 days ago
First, those are some pretty bad shows in the poll! Why did MeTv leave out many popular shows? Miami Vice? Moonlighting? Hill St Blues? Cheers? Night Court? The "Real" shows I was watching in 1984 were:
Sun & Mon: Mostly sports..Mon. was MNF & Mon. Night Baseball
Tues: Who`s The Boss?..Moonlighting
Wed: Fall Guy...Dynasty
Thurs: Cheers...Night Court...Hill Street Blues
Fri: Dukes of Hazzard..Dallas..Miami Vice
Sat: TJ Hooker..Love Boat..Mike Hammer
Yep! Love your answer
Thanks. There were definitely better shows than the ones MeTv listed.
Moonlighting premiered in 1985, unless you owned a time machine you couldn't watch it!
nemalki 7 days ago
63%. Not too shabby. THIS is the stuff of my childhood, literally! Oddly, I remember that week. It was a pretty good week on TV. That Webster episode was shocking, but it was a big episode.
Gregory 7 days ago
I'm only 48% similar. Similar to what, I don't know!
kilimanjaro 7 days ago
I would never watch the blowhard network news libturds. Definitely I would watch The Price is Right in 1984 as Dian Parkinson was still on it then.
NoahBody 7 days ago
60 percent similar but i would not watch many of those shows now.
Tresix 7 days ago
54% similar. I wouldn't have watched ANY of the shows for Oct. 27. I guess I picked "Airwolf" out of respect for the recently-deceased Jan Michael Vincent.